Author Topic: External hull casing structure  (Read 1425 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
External hull casing structure
« on: 04 Apr , 2017, 03:54 »
Hi eveybody,
I realized that in the Trumpeter model, utilizing the trasparent semi-hull for making the internals accomodations visible, will be visible the work of reduction of thickness of the plastic hull that I done for having more realistic flooding holes ( see photos below ).
So, I would like to have the possibility of superdetailing the internal surface of forward hull casing, outside the pressure hull: are there available some particulars of the structure, ribs, etc ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Filippo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: External hull casing structure
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 03:57 »
...in addiction at this problem, I'll can not make any modification to the half trasparent hull ( for example to correct some errors regarding the flooding holes ) without ruining it......a real GREAT problem.....

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #2 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 05:03 »

Filippo
Be aware of the forepeak floodholes being asymmetric, two on the stb side and three on the port. Further the forward hydroplanes did not have a connection to the hydroplane guards as shown on my image below.
Tore

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 06:13 »
Thanks Tore,
one of the two observations you made I didn't know ( absence of connection between hydroplanes and guards ); the other one I already knew.
Any help about the forward casing support structure, visible through the transparent plastic hull of the Trumpeter's model, out of the pressure hull ?

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 06:35 »
Hi Tore, another question: was the tie wire between hydroplane guards and hull present ? See the posted photos of a model below...

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 07:32 »
Filippo.
I guess the guardwires is a question of which year you are referring to. As your model seems to refer to the old version of U 552 comissioned dec. 1940, I assume the guardwires were installed as well as  the netcutters. Later these items were removed.
Tore

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #6 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 07:39 »
Further the forward hydroplanes did not have a connection to the hydroplane guards as shown on my image below.

Hi Tore,

I recently asked the same question about the forward hydroplanes & guards on the Type IXC/40 (U-190) which I am currently building... whether or not they were connected at a 'pivot point.'
I was advised that likely there WAS a connection between the plane & guard.

http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=1414.0

Would you please confirm this for me?
« Last Edit: 04 Apr , 2017, 07:57 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #7 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 08:00 »
HI Glenn.
I am of course dealing with the VIICs as I have no experience of the IXCs, but should assume the hydroplane guards were the same. Non of our VIICs had a connection between the forward hydroplanes and guard. I fact I had an experience of the matter. We were crossing the North sea with KNM Kaura- U 995 in 1953 for noisetrials at Loch Goil and as we were a bit early we dropped anchor at Pentland Firth. When raising the anchor in the morning we discovered the anchor cable was stuck between the fore hydroplane and guard. We had to dive down in the cold sea to release the cable.
 The aft hydroplanes however had a connection to the guard possibly to make it a bit more stable in the propellerwake.
Tore

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 08:03 »
If can help....