Author Topic: U-552 flooding holes  (Read 1520 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
U-552 flooding holes
« on: 03 Apr , 2017, 05:40 »
Hi everybody,
I have a doubt about the draining holes on central part of the hull: see the posted images: were they present or not ?
Thanks in advance for help.
Filippo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: U-552 flooding holes
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr , 2017, 07:42 »
New photo found....
Opinions welcome

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr , 2017, 13:58 »
Hello Filippo,

Photos 1 and 3 that you posted shows U 552 early in her career, when she was fitted with breakwaters on either side of the deck. The intention was that these breakwaters would help to break up the waves for crews operating the 88mm deck gun. The breakwaters were not deemed to be sufficiently useful so they were removed from VIIBs and VIICs in the April / May / June 1941 period (see page 81 of the Wolf Pack). Photos 2 and 11 that you posted show U 552 after the breakwaters had been removed. When they were removed, a curved line of holes was drilled in this area, the idea being to slightly increase diving times. The pattern applied to U 552 was a 17 paired arrangement plus one semi-circle (see page 61 of the Wolf Pack).

The other issue you will have to decide on is the wind deflector at the top of the tower (see page 82 of the Wolf Pack). On U 552 the wind deflector was added in a refit subsequent to the breakwater removal refit.

There are three combinations you can have on U 552 but you will need to decide which one to model.

Combination 1: breakwaters yes; curved line of holes no; wind deflector no
Combination 2: breakwaters no; curved line of holes yes; wind deflector no
Combination 3: breakwaters no; curved line of holes yes; wind deflector yes

If you go for combination 3 you will need snorting bull decals in addition to the devil. This can be found in the AMP decal range and I can advise which size would work best if necessary. If you go for combination 1 or 2 you do not need any snorting bulls.

If you need more info just ask.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr , 2017, 23:32 »
Thanks Dougie,
excellent and exhaustive reply to my question...
It seems that Trumpeter had choosen neither of the three combinations you indicated: in the model, there is no breakwaters, no wind deflector and no curved line of holes, so the simplest choice for me is the second combination, adding the curved line of holes; so I shouls solve also the problem of snorting bull decal, missing in the model...
Tham+nks for your pretious help, and don't worry: I'll need to ask you more, more informations, during my building....
Last, but not least, I'll like to have your opinion on my deck gun...
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 07:42 »
Hi Dougie,
looking better at the model, I think Trumpeter provided the kit with splashguards, so I can make only the combination 1.....

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr , 2017, 13:45 »
Hello Filippo,

I have had a look at your 88mm on the other thread. Very nice work, it is really well detailed and looking very good.

Does the Trumpeter model have a net cutter? If so then you could decide whether you want to add it or not. U 552 probably had the net cutter during the first war patrol (18/02/41 to 16/03/41). Unfortunately I have not been able to confirm this as I have yet to see a photograph of U 552 with the net cutter. My guess is that she did have the net cutter during the first war patrol and that it was removed before the start of the second war patrol on 07/04/41. So (I think) you could choose to have the net cutter or choose not to have the net cutter.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr , 2017, 01:16 »
Thanks Dougie,
yes, Trumpeter's model provides the net cutters, and, in consideration that the hull comes with breakwatyers and without wind deflector on top of conning tower, I think to realize the early version of U-552, with all those features...