Author Topic: Can u convert Revells 1/72 Type VII/41 Atlantic to a Type VIIC easily?  (Read 856 times)

Offline oyoy1

• Midshipman Cadet
i have the Atlantic version want to make an earlier Type VIIC.  Is it a hard or easy conversion and what do I need to do thanks.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Hello oyoy1,

The short answer is that it is not an easy conversion.

One reason is that the late war kit has an Atlantic bow which is longer than the early VIIC bow. I suppose you could shorten and narrow the bow to a standard bow but it would take effort and research.

The other difficulty you have is that the early VIICs did not have a snorchel.

Another that you will have noticed is the tower has to converted from the late war tower (Turm IV) to early war tower (Turm 0). This involves entirely reworking the rear and removing the lower platform.

Another is that the very late war boats the planked deck (which is on the VIIC/41 kit). Almost all of the boats with the early war tower (Turm 0) had the slotted deck. This particular issue is not a problem as there are aftermarket slotted decks available (72-02 from AMP).

Selling your late war kit and getting the early war kit would be the easiest option. If you are still interested in converting them let me know and I can provide more details.

Cheers,

Dougie