Author Topic: U-215 :: Type VIID Minelayer  (Read 8353 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: U-215 :: Type VIID Minelayer
« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct , 2016, 21:44 »
More deck progress
« Last Edit: 15 Oct , 2016, 21:45 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Bob Tomlin

• Ensign
« Reply #31 on: 20 Oct , 2016, 12:44 »
Looks great Glenn. I'm having enough problems handling parts at 72nd scale so admire your ability to tweak 144th stuff so effectively.
I'm glad you're showing how to work this etched brass deck stuff into the models as you're giving me plenty of ideas and inspiration too.
Very neat.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Bow upper flood holes (12)
« Reply #32 on: 07 Nov , 2016, 08:33 »
On my 1/144 U-215 (VIID minelayer), the 12 molded flood holes in the upper bow are grossly overscale at roughly 0.032" dia.   (That size is better suited to 1/72.)     
I have plugged the holes with styrene rod, and smoothed with putty. 

Before I re-drill the holes, I have some questions:

• What size holes should I drill?   (0.016" perhaps?)
  • Are the holes paired, or evenly spaced?
  • Are there equal number of holes (12) on both sides?
  • Are the end holes in the proper locations?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Hatch springs
« Reply #33 on: 07 Nov , 2016, 13:57 »
Made some springs using 0.020" styrene rod and thin wire.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
U-Brass templates come in handy... again
« Reply #34 on: 08 Nov , 2016, 09:36 »
For their 1/144 U-boats, it seems Revell used the same plans (scaled down) as their 1/72 boat... including the same errors in flood holes, etc.

The coveted 1/72 U-Brass flood hole detail set again proves to be invaluable for determining the correct holes patterns for the 12 upper bow holes... this time in 1/144 scale.
I am creating my own stick-on templates (based on U-Brass but scaled for 1/144) to re-drill the 12 bow holes on my current U-215 VIID build.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 08 Nov , 2016, 12:28 »
Hi Glenn,

The battery on my electronic calipers is flat so I can't measure the drill size that would be suitable. But it should be really small, very much smaller than the holes on the 144th kit.

For the position of the 12 holes, not every boat had them in precisely in the exact same position. They were pretty close though. Generally the first of the 12 holes was directly above the front of the upper torpedo door. Some had them very slightly forward of this position and others very slightly aft of this position. The 12 holes were slightly longer than the width of the upper torpedo door and this means that if you take a line directly down from the final hole (the one farthest aft) the 12th hole remains behind the end of the upper torpedo door.

Going by your photos the 12 holes on the Revell kit they look too far forward to me. When you drill new ones it would be best to position them a bit farther back. Perhaps you could align the first hole with the front of the torpedo door?

U 215 was a Krupp boat and had 12 equally spaced holes on both sides.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #36 on: 08 Nov , 2016, 12:45 »
The battery on my electronic calipers is flat so I can't measure the drill size that would be suitable. But it should be really small, very much smaller than the holes on the 144th kit.

I think I will be safe with using a 0.5mm (.019") drill bit, as the U-Brass instructions call for a 1.0mm drill bit in 72nd scale.

Going by your photos the 12 holes on the Revell kit they look too far forward to me. When you drill new ones it would be best to position them a bit farther back. Perhaps you could align the first hole with the front of the torpedo door?

Looking at the stock hole positions, I think that starting the 1st new hole at the 2nd stock hole will be good; that hole is in line with the forward edge of the torpedo door.  The vertical rivet rows should then fall nicely between the new holes.

U 215 was a Krupp boat and had 12 equally spaced holes on both sides.

Great!   I have created my templates, which I will print on clear labels (Avery 7662).  I can then apply them to the hull, aligning everything properly, and then drill the holes.

Thank you very much, Dougie.  :D
« Last Edit: 08 Nov , 2016, 12:48 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 08 Nov , 2016, 15:30 »
Hi Glenn,

My pleasure, good luck with it.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Bob Tomlin

• Ensign
« Reply #38 on: 09 Nov , 2016, 01:50 »
Really fiddly looking work on the hatch springs Glenn but very nicely done.
Interesting reading about the holes too. It seems to me that the more you look at the features in photos of supposedly same type boats, the more you see lots of these little differences.
Fascinating stuff. Enjoying the progress.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #39 on: 09 Nov , 2016, 08:33 »
Thank you, Bob.  :)
I am SO glad that I found AMP so long ago... the people here are extremely nice and super helpful... and the documents produced (at great effort) are superb sources of information.

I may never get my boats "perfect" but they are perfect enough for me.   
And that's all that counts, really.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #40 on: 09 Nov , 2016, 09:01 »
I post pics of my progress in Facebook albums as well.   Recently I have posted pictures of bow hole mods.

Today, some internet troll called me a "rivet counter."     

Wow... really, dude?     
You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere that I have critiqued someone else's work in a mean fashion, for not being accurate enough.
(That is what the derogatory term "rivet counter" means.)
« Last Edit: 09 Nov , 2016, 09:05 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #41 on: 10 Nov , 2016, 07:07 »
..... Well done, Glenn.. !   In both cases..

Offline tsenecal

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #42 on: 10 Nov , 2016, 11:45 »
Glenn,

would you be willing to post a link to that facebook album?   perhaps we can pile on the idiot and try to explain to him the difference between an individual who wants to build the best model his skill set will allow him to (and maybe even learn a few new skills) and nit-picking someone else's attempts at model building...

:)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #43 on: 15 Nov , 2016, 09:46 »
Glenn, would you be willing to post a link to that facebook album?   perhaps we can pile on the idiot and try to explain to him the difference between an individual who wants to build the best model his skill set will allow him to (and maybe even learn a few new skills) and nit-picking someone else's attempts at model building...

LOL not a chance.  But thank you for the good (?) thoughts.  :D
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
VIID progress :: 15-Nov-2016
« Reply #44 on: 15 Nov , 2016, 09:53 »
Making good progress on the VIID, getting all the final interior stuff done before gluing the hull halves together.  (Eek)

• Faux pressure hull top... done.
  • Saddletanks... done
  • Centerline baffle plates... done.
  • Adding basic interior structures that poke out of the pressure hull (mine tubes, tower)... underway.
This is a temporary blog album of recent work done (14-Nov-2016):
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153817627857127.1073741921.549717126&type=1&l=8581b97776
(Note:  This temporary album will not be posted for very long... maybe a few days.  It will get absorbed into the main photo album.)

Here is the main build site:
http://gc-scalemodels.ca/U215/

I also received word from Revell of Germany that they would send me replacement decals for this discontinued kit (to replace the ones I lost)... YAYYYY !
« Last Edit: 15 Nov , 2016, 12:46 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca