Author Topic: Where is diesel exhaust port on Type IXC/40 (U-190) ?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Re: Where is diesel exhaust port on Type IXC/40 (U-190) ?
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb , 2016, 00:29 »
Hi Simon et al,

I hadn't considered a water jacket around the exhaust, makes sense on several levels, on the VIIs does the jacket finish at th end of the silencer or go all the way to the end of the exhaust?

There is definitely an issue with the water pressure on the exhaust as I said previously on the sub surface exhausts on the IXs (experimental) and the XXIs (production) they did away with the silencers all together. I assume that the exhaust would have to have a pressure differential valve in it otherwise the engines would flood, (no valve) or the manifold gaskets would blow, (manual valve). I am not saying that there wasn't a manual valve, but there would have been an automatic pressure differential valve as well.

regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb , 2016, 01:29 »

I hadn't considered a water jacket around the exhaust, makes sense on several levels, on the VIIs does the jacket finish at th end of the silencer or go all the way to the end of the exhaust?

Finish at start of the silencer.

...but there would have been an automatic pressure differential valve as well.

I don't believe there is a automatic valve, but Tore will know.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb , 2016, 03:26 »
Hi Simon,

I was thinking about the sub surface exhaust for the differential valve which would constantly under water pressure, not the normal systems or on U190.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".