Author Topic: Wanted: Complete copy of actual build plans for IX/C (or IX - IXb)  (Read 4374 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Does anyone know where i can find a copy of the complete set of blueprints for the IX/C or even the IX- IXB boats?
Ive been googling but can't seem to find what im looking for.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Perhaps here?

Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottype IX C
ISBN 3-7637-6005-9)
Fritz Köhl/Axel Niestlé

http://www.amazon.ca/Vom-Original-zum-Modell-Uboottyp/dp/3763760059

I find that the Vom Original series of books are fairly good.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Perhaps here?

Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottype IX C
ISBN 3-7637-6005-9)
Fritz Köhl/Axel Niestlé

http://www.amazon.ca/Vom-Original-zum-Modell-Uboottyp/dp/3763760059

I find that the Vom Original series of books are fairly good.
Wow thats expensive for a paperback  :D

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Wow thats expensive for a paperback  :D

Yeh the prices all over can be totally stoopid... I did not pay that much for mine.    Search around.    For books, I deal with AbeBooks a lot... but even there some people are asking $400 and more.  Ridiculous.  :P

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
A Type IX B is possible.  I redid a Revell Type C to back date to the early  C for a U-154. I will send some photos sometime today.  The Hull is the same , its the Conning Tower that is the problem. I had to do some major reworking to back date it. I actually took the front of the Type IXC and kit bashed a Type VIIC on the back. That was a major undertaking to be sure. it took me over 40 hours to rework that alone.   
The IX B would be similar. Then length would be a little work but nothing like the Tower.

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
The book mentioned has some plans, but not enough, for example, for me to discover how the baffles above the saddle tanks look. My IX build has stalled because I have opened up the drain holes but can't figure out how the goddam baffles looked. I would NOT recommend paying an exorbitant price for the book, either.

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
There is a set of plans called planmappe or planrolle in eBay
A bit pricey but...

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
The book mentioned has some plans, but not enough, for example, for me to discover how the baffles above the saddle tanks look. My IX build has stalled because I have opened up the drain holes but can't figure out how the goddam baffles looked. I would NOT recommend paying an exorbitant price for the book, either.

Do my notes on U-505 build site help at all?   
www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U505/    (pressure hull, saddletanks sections)
http://www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U505/files/Reference.pdf

The 2 ribs inside each channel should align with the rivet rows.   I am using 0.010" styrene to make the ribs.
I am applying the same principles as my U-673 build regarding the baffle plates, choosing the simplest method as most everything is hidden anyway.  :)

Currently I am at that stage in my U-190 build, having to add some small baffle plates in the channels outboard of the schnorkel well.
www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/U190/

I hope this helps give you some ideas for your build.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Hi All,

Due to a licensing agreement I am unable to give you my best photographic proof, however I have included some cross section photos of the U 534., but under the deck of a type IX are, as Glenn is modelling, ribs along the inside of the outer hull which both strengthen the outer hull and support the torpedo trolley rails.These ribs are triangular in shape and have triangular strengthening webs at the bottom and depending what, if anything is fitted between the rails triangular strengtheners of varying sizes at the top.
The inner rail is supported by either posts or ribs, depending what is fitted either side of the rail.
Where the torpedo container where carried there are ribs which support the outer hull , inner rail and the torpedo container.
Note that the fuel and ballast tank tops go from the bottom of the drain holes in a line which would meet with the top of the pressure hull, however they dip just before that point.
If there were any lateral baffles there is no evidence of them on any photo I have, there were a few items on the forward deck which would restrict the flow of water, the schorkel housing being on and the 10.5cm ammo ready locker.The tower pressure hull would have served as a baffle as would all the various pipes and ducts under the deck.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Hi All again,

Just to muddy the waters on the subject of dimensions. I believe that we may be working with  incorrect figures, I have proven that at least one IXc/40  (U534) was the same width as a IXc. Assuming that these figures come from the allies measuring captured boats in less than ideal conditions, so here is the theory.
The generally accepted dimensions for a IXc are correct and most likely come from the U 505. A IXc/140 was measured (U190?) stem to stern with a tape measure in a hurry round the tower, adding 160mm to its length. A type IXb was also measured (U123?), this time they measured to the end of the deck , not the stern, which would account for the "missing" 100mm. I say missing as if you look at the accepted dimensions the type IXa and c are the same length i.e. 76.6m, whereas the IXb is 100mm shorter. personally I've always thought this a little strange. Consider also that all 4 types have the same size pressure hull, then in the worst case scenario is that the bow and or stern of each boat that was measured was slightly different. I am not convinced that the overall beam of a type IX(a) was only 6.51m, but I will leave that as it is possible that the early boats were narrower.
Knowing Revell the overall length of the type IXs will probably be a mil or 2 out (IIRC the 1:144 type VIIs are about 2mm too long), yup still only dry assembled my U534 build and not bothered to measure it. New(ish) job keeps me away from the build table, that and 3rd Reich helicopters, I think I have more than the Luftwaffe had. That and I have to design a deck for her as she had a planked deck and get it etched.

Regards
Jon

"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Thanks for all the help Capt