Author Topic: Corrections to 05133 kit to accurately make U-190  (Read 11583 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Corrections to 05133 kit to accurately make U-190
« on: 05 Dec , 2015, 07:25 »
Hi all,

I thought I would veer off into another thread for easier discussion.
My intent here is to get detailed pictures and/or descriptions of what mods to make to the new 05133 kit to make an accurate U-190... no other boat.

Some of the things mentioned in other threads are helpful, but not detailed enough and are working on the assumption we all know the names of the different things.
I'll play the dummy here... I need clear descriptions, pictures, etc. to show me what to do, and what certain things are.  :D

There are pics of Tehnoart U-525 on their website which may have pics of missing items.   
Note again... I am NOT interested in U-525, just U-190... but if there are pics of items on U-525 that are helpful please do mention them.

Here are some of the things that have been discussed about the U-190 boat...  let's get started?
  • Liferaft containers on the tower... yes/no?   If yes, where?  how many?  low/high hatches?   shield around them or not?
  • Liferaft containers on the foredeck... yes/no?    If yes, where?   how many?   low/high hatches?
  • Standard compass housing at front of tower... a rounded nose attached to tower... is that correct?
  • Missing gun shields on the 20mm gun on the tower upper deck... the shields with uneven height
  • Did U-190 have single or double-barrel 20mm guns on upper deck?
  • Missing cap on 37mm spare barrel tube (starboard side, lower)
« Last Edit: 05 Dec , 2015, 09:52 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Liferaft containers on tower
« Reply #1 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 07:33 »
Liferaft containers on tower:
Kit instructions show ammo containers (?) on lower wintergarten:  3 port, 2 stbd, shield walls
Is this correct?    or should only be 2 port ammo containers?
Do liferaft containers go here?    how many per side, location?

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Liferaft containers on foredeck
« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 07:35 »
Liferaft containers on foredeck:

Did U-190 have 4 liferaft containers on the port foredeck, similar to that shown on Tehnoart's U-525 ?

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Compass housing at front of tower
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 07:37 »
Compass housing at front of tower:

The kit has a 'standard' compass housing at the front of the tower... essentially a connected rounded 'nose.'
Is this correct for U-190?

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
20mm gun shields
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 07:41 »
20mm gun shields:

Currently:  20mm guns on upper tower deck do not have shields on them.

Did U-190 have these shields on their two 20mm guns on the upper tower deck, similar to pic below?
Did both guns have 2 barrels?

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: Corrections to 05133 kit to accurately make U-190
« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 08:02 »
Glenn, a few answers:
a) Yes, old style compass housing as you may see below.
b) No watertight liferaft containers on the foredeck
c) Yes, shields for the aa guns, actually it looks like only the starboard gun had the shield (but the port shield might have been removed after surrendering, just like the 2cm gun barrels): http://webberswarships.ca/styled-25/files/u-190-1945a.png and  http://webberswarships.ca/styled-24/files/u-889-along-side-u-190.png (U190 in the foreground), https://legionmagazine.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/WWII-6.jpg
d) Yes, both the 2cm guns were twin-barreled
e) No extra 4 hatches on the bandstand (lower platform) but what looks like 4 compressed-air containers on the bandstand deck at the base of the wintergarten (upper platform) (see the linked-pics).   
Some nice pictures: http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cdobie/bowie-uboats.htm (the "unidentified boat being brought alongside" is in fact U 190 as you can see from the boat emblem on the turret side)
Cheers,
SG

« Last Edit: 05 Dec , 2015, 08:57 by SG »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #6 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 08:41 »
Thanks, SG !

Some things I noticed from those pictures  (assuming in the 2nd pic that U-190 is in the foreground):
  • lower wintergarten tall shielded ammo containers:  3 on STBD, 2 on PORT (opposite to what kit has)
  • rear of tower:  circular hatch on lower stbd side, sticking out perpendicular to tower... is that on port side, too?
  • upper tower:  flat seats on the middle railings (4 per side?)
  • upper tower rear railing:  railing at back of upper tower has different parts than kit... flagpole connected differently... triangular railing around flagpole, and a straight rail extension pointing rearward
  • missing overhead railing (part 177) ahead of rear 37mm cannon
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 09:04 »
Some more (very nice ) pictures: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-190A/U-190Photos.htm
Curiously the 2 cm guns retained only one barrel each before being stripped off of any barrel.
Most of your assumptions are correct, unfortunately I can't verify the ones about kit parts because i don't have the kit.
Am hunting for pics showing the port side of the after-turret to see if that watertight container was also present on the port side (http://webberswarships.ca/styled-5/files/screen-shot-2013-07-06-at-9.18.20-pm.png :too far to see something ;D ), tried also with U 190 sister-boats but had no success.

« Last Edit: 05 Dec , 2015, 10:14 by SG »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #8 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 09:42 »
Looking at the pics you provided, the lower tower extra container was a liferaft... seemingly on stbd side only.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 10:03 »
Glenn am 90% with you. The 10% doubt was arised by this picture: http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/images/u190_canada.jpg
The detal is too small to draw a definitive conclusion. I am wondering if there was enough space to fit the turret side at that level with two life-raft containers lying on their longer axis, facing each-other. I am gonna need a bigger boat  ;D

« Last Edit: 05 Dec , 2015, 10:09 by SG »

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 10:38 »

Hi All,

As has been mentioned previously.

Firstly there was a life raft container on the starboard aft side of the lower platform, no containers on the fore deck.
there were 2 3.7cm spare barrel containers, one port side aft below the lower tower (only the end is visible in some photos), the second one is fitted to the port side under the upper platform, a mirror image of the one fitted to the U 505.
The compass housing is the old style.

Now here is the cautionary bit that I have yet to fully work out.

Shortly after surrender the upper platform guns and mounts were removed. I have a picture which may have been taken during this time with the starboard mount fitted with a shield and appears to be a twin mount. It would be natural to assume that the port side gun would be the same, although I have no photographic prove of such. Also with the final sailing date of 19/02/45 the upper deck should have 2 twin 2cms fitted

Any photos that show upper platform deck guns with the U 190 with fresh paint would have been taken after the guns were refitted and thus may not have been the U 190's guns, just a convenient item to fill the space, much like the type VII periscopes that graced the U 505 until the original ones were located.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec , 2015, 07:43 »
There were 2 3.7cm spare barrel containers, one port side aft below the lower tower (only the end is visible in some photos), the second one is fitted to the port side under the upper platform, a mirror image of the one fitted to the U 505. Regards, Jon

Thanks, Jon!  Are there pictures showing BOTH spare barrel containers, so I can do them properly?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec , 2015, 10:55 »
Just an FYI, none of the containers on the aft conning tower deck are for life rafts. They are all ready-use ammo storage for the 37mm AA gun.
The extra ones seen on the U 525 kit were just that; extra storage for the 37mm..

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec , 2015, 11:48 »
Hi Glenn,

Yes they are both visible although only the end of the port aft container protrudes from under the lower platform.

Picture 2A shows the port 3.7cm barrel container, 2 ready ammo lockers,  port upper platform 2cm mount with left gun only and no shield. Boat has been painted since surrender.

Picture 4A shows port aft tip of 3.7cm barrel container, starboard aft life boat container, M42 twin 3.7cm with LM42U mount on lower platform along with 2-3 ready ammo lockers and starboard upper platform 2cm mount with shield and no guns, 1 ready ammo locker centre aft of upper platform with no protective plating on the side, picture taken after surrender, before repaint.

Still looking for a decent picture of the lower platform from above to confirm 2-4 life boat containers as fitted to U 534 see wintergarten 6, and yes the U 534 had 4 ready ammo lockers with rounded side protection and like U 190 an unprotected ammo locker on the upper platform.

Regards
Jon
« Last Edit: 06 Dec , 2015, 11:50 by Capt Kremin »
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec , 2015, 12:09 »
Hi again,

Just found this picture, no lifeboat containers on the lower deck at all, lots of clutter on the upper platform but I think the starboard 2cm mount is fitted, wouldn't like to comment on the port gun. 4 bulbous itrms just centre aft of the upper platform, on the lower platform are not part of the boat. The end of the port 3.7cm barrel container seem to protrude quite a distance from the upper platform.
Again picture taken after repaint

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".