Author Topic: Type IXB out of the IXC kit. Possible?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Type IXB out of the IXC kit. Possible?
« on: 01 Nov , 2015, 00:45 »
Just wondering what would be involved in making an IX-b out of the Revel IX-C kit?  Any major differences besides the conning tower?

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Re: Type IXB out of the IXC kit. Possible?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov , 2015, 06:28 »
Hi OldNoob,
It would depend on the individual boat, but the general answer would be a guarded yes. The type IXb was 160mm longer than the c model, in 1:72 that's just under 2.25mm, possibly a slight change to the bow, internal differences are irrelevant. I am not in a possition to check to see if any type IXbs were fitted with turm IVs, my gut feeling is yes.
Regards
Jon

"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov , 2015, 22:27 »
I thought the IX-B ( 76.50 m) was actually a tad shorter than the IX-C ( 76.76 m ) . The IX-C being about ten inches longer than the IX-B??

Reshaping the bow might be a challenge.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov , 2015, 22:34 by OldNoob »

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 02:27 »
Hi OldNoob,

Sorry, my bad I meant the IXb was shorter, according to published figures, again by about 2.25mm in 1:72, however having just measured the oa length of my dry assembled type IXc I come out with 1067mm, which in full size would make the model 76.82m. Making the model slightly too long, it will probably shrink on assembly. This is actually closer than any of the 1:144 scale Revell boats which are all a couple of millimeters too long.

Whilst it is possible that the IXb and c may have a slightly different shape to the bow, it is just as likely that the 2 types were in fact the same length, I would suggest reading U 534 Beam. My feeling is that the dimensions that we seem to take as gospel may have come from one measurement of one boat of that type, which may have been measured with less enthusiasm than it might have been.It might be that the people who were measuring didn't take into account of the underhang at the aft, interestingly that would just about be 160mm. I can't think of a reason why the length of the outer hull would be increased on the IXc by a mere 160mm, whilst the pressure hull remained the same, but to change from a 'b' model to a 'c' implies implies fairly major changes. Of course the changes could have been mostly internal, allowing space for more electronic equipment and more fuel.

Back to the original point, 2.25mm on a model that is over a meter long, how many people would notice (just saying).By reshaping, I meant you could shave the excess length off the bow if you so wished, now if only fitting a turm 0 was that easy!

Regards
Jon

"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 14:02 »
Thanks so much for the info Capt
wondering if the VIIC wolfpack Turm the same size as the Turm I on the IXB? or are the dimensions different? The viic versions seem narrower.
Couldn't find much info on a turm 0 on a IXB.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov , 2015, 14:25 »
Hi OldNoob,

Sorry, no good, as you summised  the type IX towers are wider, the tower types have the same numbers and the number of platforms and gun positions are similar, but the dimensions of type VII and type IX towers are different.

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".