Author Topic: Sunken U-Boat  (Read 506 times)

Offline tankerken

• Midshipman Cadet
Sunken U-Boat
« on: 11 Feb , 2024, 15:21 »
Here is a model I built a while ago. There is a bit of history that goes along with it.

It is the old Nichimo 1/200 scale kit that I built as a kid back in the 1970s. Being a kid, I did it using the electric motor power option. I actually ran it in the pool a lot, but could never get the battery cover to seal up properly, so it sank a lot. Eventually the motor seized up tight and it just would not go any more. So I installed a firecracker in the battery compartment and "depth charged" it in the neighbor's pool. BOOM! It was quite spectacular! Some pieces even landed on the roof. I collected all the parts I could, glued them back together, put everything in a plastic baggy, and forgot about it.
Ken
« Last Edit: 11 Feb , 2024, 15:44 by tankerken »

Offline tankerken

• Midshipman Cadet
Re: Sunken U-Boat
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb , 2024, 15:35 »
Many years (decades) later, I found it while cleaning stuff out of my mother's house. I ended up using it as practice for painting something very rusty. I liked how it was coming out, so I added a base to create a vignette showing it at the bottom of the ocean. I added a shark from the old Revell Calypso kit and a brass plaque stating that it was on it's "last patrol."
Ken

Offline tankerken

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb , 2024, 21:33 »
Blast damage.
Ken

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb , 2024, 09:09 »