Author Topic: TYPE IX U-boot  (Read 24187 times)

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
TYPE IX U-boot
« on: 11 Feb , 2009, 01:16 »
Hello,

Does anyone knows how good and accurate are the Combat models ships?

http://combatmodels.us/

They are producing vacu forms models of type IX among other ones in my favorite 1:72nd scale.

I would have like some feed back as they do not have photos of their kits on the link before I order anything.

Cordially,
 :)

Mr.Mox

Re: TYPE IX U-boot
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb , 2009, 03:47 »
I did a google search on "combat models vac" and among other things, this turned up http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394805 -

From the topic I would guess that with alot of work you can get a good result, but theres alot of work in those kits - but then again - $62 for a IX or XXI including some sort of detailpackage is fairly cheep all things considered.

Cheers/Jan

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb , 2009, 08:21 »
I have a VIIC from Combat models that I purchased many years ago.  It is very basic, almost no detail at all.  The deck is the worst part and really can't be used at all.  Some problems with the forward hull lines that could be very difficult to remedy.  Flooding vents require lots of attention.  Overall, this kit would require a significant investment in time and seemingly endless scratch building in order to produce even mediocre results.  As a result, I have not attempted to even start this kit and it has remained in long term storage.  Don't know for certain if the Combat Type IX suffers from the same issues as the VIIC.

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb , 2009, 17:37 »
Thank you very much for your very useful advice,

Apparently not only they lack details, but that can always be fixed with hard work, even though some times it is more than hard work that is needed, but their scales is not very good... This is a non solving error for me.

So I will follow your advice ;), and also I am very tempted by a type IX, I will not give it a try. :-[

I found another amazing modeler from Czechoslovakia on the net exposing his scratch builds in a local forum. When I will have time and be almost finished with my type VII, I will write him, hoping he understand some English and ask him if he accept to sell his model as a kit for me to build. ???

In the meantime I post you the link to their forum, so you can see for yourself how talented he is:

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=26296

Cordially,
 :)

vonbulowfla

« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr , 2009, 06:53 »
well" i have to say i was thrilled when i saw a 1/72 scale type 9 c from combat/ roberts models . then i listened to all the lousy reviews on the kits . saw a few shots of a couple of thier models .and the bottom line is you get what you pay for in this world . i say it looks like a good block of raw clay to start from and with a little time and work you could make a decent model . i will burn a 150.00 to get a couple of kits and the detail sets to what it is all about . cant be as bad as they say we shall see . take care and good modeling to all . what do you think of the subject siara . have you checked out thier type 7 yet ?

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr , 2009, 10:18 »
After spending last 16 months on revells type VII i dont think i will grab another sub model for the while. Is no doubt that type II will be on my list some time in the future- possibly with excellent AMP upgrade set.
For now- whats in my sig. ;D

vonbulowfla

« Reply #6 on: 05 May , 2009, 18:57 »
thanks' ron i will look at his site . that avatar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!love it . ;D ;D ;D

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 06 May , 2009, 05:11 »
keep on to ask myself what the one behind her back is doing...............
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 07 Aug , 2009, 19:41 »
 :) Hello!
I am planning to use the combat models Type IX hull for a Type IXC/41 conversion. Yes, the detail is not there on these kits, so you must use other sources. I have bought a Revell Type VIIC/41 to use the hull detail and maybe also the C-Tower. This all will have alot of scratch work to be done. Hey, this is the only source for a 1/72 Type IX, and I am retired, so, I have lots of time. I also plan to put the pressure hull inside because the vents will need to be opened. I am figuring a year or so of work. But then I will have a unique U-Boat Model.
Regards,
Dan
« Last Edit: 16 Dec , 2012, 13:02 by dbauer »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 08 Aug , 2009, 10:54 »
Hi Dan,

Nice to see you here, my friend. A few years ago I guessed you would, at some stage, do U 805 because of your connection with the boat. The Combat kit will be a tough build but I'm sure you will do it well.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug , 2009, 13:31 »
Hi Dan,

I've been pretty busy, with Wink, on the Type II set in the last year  :)

Let us know how you get on with the Czech PE.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #11 on: 01 Sep , 2009, 21:29 »
 :)Well,
I bit the bullet and ordered the PE  8) So here goes!

Dan

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep , 2009, 13:48 »
Hello All,
I have recieved the Combat Models vac of the Type IXC. As we knew before there is no detail at all! The tower is almost totally unuseable. I will use part of the Wintergarden. The tower itself is terrible! But as they say; " You get what you pay for!" But for the price it is the basis of what you need to build a Type IXC U-Boat in 1/72. It will be my luck, that after I am finished with this Revell of Germany will come out with a 1/72 Type IXC U-505 model!

I have cut out the four hull sections and have glued them together. The Type IX is about 6 inches longer than the Type VII in 1/72. 

More to come....
Regards,
Dan

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep , 2009, 14:57 »
Hi dbauer!

I have also been interested about IXC 1/72 u-boat. Infact i have been thinking about building it from styrene with using papermodel to cut parts from styrene. The deck would be a challenge to build but i have a somekind of picture of it. First it must convert or draw to CAD or PSD format so it could be cutted with laser from styrene or plywood. The accuracy tho is questionable... But i think it
« Last Edit: 20 Sep , 2009, 15:00 by Anakin »

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep , 2009, 19:48 »
Hello Anakin!
Great idea using paper! I found a set of detailed plans for the type IX C/40 which I am planning to build. I have also bought a set of brass photo etch for this model. I will have to modify this as well because the C/40 had a cut out bow section to help the boat dive. The Type IX was a fast boat but terribly slow in diving. That is why her crews refered to Type IXs as "See Kulh" or sea cows!
Let me know how your paper idea works out!
Regards,
Dan Bauer