Author Topic: Need Build Info on U-1232  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
Need Build Info on U-1232
« on: 01 Jul , 2015, 23:36 »
After long thought on the subject, I have decided I would like to build the U-1232. However, I have not been able to find much info on this particular boat. I know it was a IXC/40, but that is about the extent of it. The only photos I have been able to find are a shot of the conning tower after returning from the successful Halifax patrol, and another of the tower during the commissioning ceremony. But that's it.
Does anyone have a source for other photos of this boat?
Failing that, can anyone tell me if the 1232 was one of the boats with a cut-down foredeck? If I can find that out, I can wing it on the AA armament and go with the standard configuration (unless for example, there is evidence of a twin-37mm AA gun). Paint scheme-wise I plan to go with something similar to U-805, or perhaps the U-889.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give..

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Need Build Info on U-1232
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul , 2015, 15:35 »
Hi Capn,

U 1232 got the cut out foredeck between July and September 1944.

I have one photo of the boat which won't help much. But I can send you it if you send me a PM with your email address.

For armament you'd pretty safe by going with a pair of twin 20mm and a single 37mm.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
Re: Need Build Info on U-1232
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul , 2015, 16:25 »
Hi Capn,

U 1232 got the cut out foredeck between July and September 1944.

I have one photo of the boat which won't help much. But I can send you it if you send me a PM with your email address.

For armament you'd pretty safe by going with a pair of twin 20mm and a single 37mm.

Cheers,

Dougie

OK great, I will send you a PM. Thanks for answering my question about the foredeck; that helps tremendously. Paint scheme is still a shot in the dark, but I figure if I paint it similar to other late war boats that will be good enough. Insignias are easy; the only one the boat ever carried was the word "Halifax" painted on the tower. And Peddinghaus has a decal sheet for that. Thanks again! :)