Author Topic: Ouch another U-552  (Read 9524 times)

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
Re: Ouch another U-552
« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb , 2009, 02:08 »
Thanks Siarra for the precisions. :)

All this talk about anchor use is quite interesting. I think this is probably why, on later types XXI and XXIII they didn't built anchors at all.

A personal reflexion too, is that in time of war, if the anchor is dropped and suddenly the skies become very unfriendly, you will waste very precious time recuperating it. Even if you want to abandon it to go faster, time to release the chain will be probably too long too.

Their operational territory also didn't really provided them with safe places to anchor.

Conclusion, it seems logical to paint the whole place as if it is never used. :D

Now I ask myself, even if the anchor is never used, doesn't the chain wheel and these two holes produce some small rust streaks just as a lot of other parts that do not move does? ???

The truth is they build these anchors to give future modelers headaches... and something to talk about. Maybe they had foreseen the use of forums to sort them out too!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb , 2009, 02:36 »
Some streaking is required, as i think the chain will produce rust itself. Too many modelers make the area look like junkheap- no need. Some delicate rust streaks, maybe few darker chips or knocks, is what is needed. ;)
« Last Edit: 15 Feb , 2009, 03:30 by Siara »

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb , 2009, 06:19 »
         You will certainly get discoloration from dissimilar metals also..The anchor was cast iron ...the anchor well, common plate, probably hot rolled...
                                                                            Bill

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb , 2009, 11:31 »
Hello,

Yes I think you are both right ;), here is a photo of an original from the Chicago museum. Although it belongs to a type IX, it is the standard shape for type VII also. This is the main photo I used to reconstruct my anchor.

You can clearly see that it is cast iron.

Cordially,
 :)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb , 2009, 12:18 »
This is exactly same foto i used for my anchor. ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb , 2009, 12:29 »
I believe all u-boat use this as a standard anchor.

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #36 on: 17 Feb , 2009, 06:58 »
Hello,

I cant believe it, I had part of the answer about the forward tubes in one of my books from David Westwood, and I just noticed it now!!! :o I think I have looked those pages hundreds of times, and not noticed it before. :'(

Along with NZsnowman superb s photos, they provide the key to how the whole system was put together.

I think I will share this info with you as it might be useful for other modelers.

Cordially,