Author Topic: Ouch another U-552  (Read 9523 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Ouch another U-552
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb , 2009, 06:42 »
Hi Jean-Luc,

Well done on fitting the U-Brass cheek pieces and the Modelbrass rear piece. Looking very good.

I'd agree with Siara on all the points he has made. When Wink and I did the U-Brass set we paid particular attention to the area around the forward dive planes and torpedo doors. We came to the conclusion that the dive plane and supports were in the correct area on the Revell kit. Also that the UT was a little too far forward in the Revell kit. Siara is correct that the anchor should be able to drop down without obstruction.

I'd also agree with Siara on U-boat plans. On all the plans I've seen I've found a few errors. This is pretty frustrating. So we have to work with period photos wherever possible, I think.

Photos of the anchor well with the anchor removed are quite rare. There is a photo of U 404 with the anchor out. U 404 has these two holes in this location too. Perhaps they are there to help keep the anchor in position? I would think that if the anchor was lowered at any point it would chip off paint on the hull. 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: 09 Feb , 2009, 15:33 »
Hi Dougie,

Thank you for your encouragements and advices.

Advices like yours are very helpfull; this area is indeed very tricky, and I had to work from plans because I never found a correct picture depicting this place. I would need a picture taken with the right angle, but all I have found so far are pictures oriented with such an angle that I couldn

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #17 on: 09 Feb , 2009, 19:41 »
As I was talking about holes, do you know if I should reproduce the 2 small holes below the backward tube in the middle of the blue circle on the photo?

Hi Trierarch
I have just check pictures of U-955 and it has the same holes also, however, both of them have patches on them now. They maybe acces holes to the stern torpede tube ???
Simon

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 09:25 »
I must have looked 1000 times at that picture, and never noticed these 2 holes. :o
Only consolation being- when the boat is done- you can not see that area at all.
Another detail i have spoted, but never got to replicate is the horizontal bar accross the 2 rudder supports. Question is- was it there just in the dock, and dissapeared when the boat was lounched? I only seen this bar on this picture.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb , 2009, 09:28 by Siara »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 10:31 »
I must have looked 1000 times at that picture, and never noticed these 2 holes. :o
Only consolation being- when the boat is done- you can not see that area at all.
Another detail i have spoted, but never got to replicate is the horizontal bar accross the 2 rudder supports. Question is- was it there just in the dock, and dissapeared when the boat was lounched? I only seen this bar on this picture.

Yes all Type VII had the horizontal bar. There a good picture at U-Historia.

English
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.u-historia.com%2Fuhistoria%2Ftecnico%2Fvisitaguiada%2Fhidraulicos%2Fhidraulicos.htm&lp=es_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Spanish
http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/visitaguiada/hidraulicos/hidraulicos.htm

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 10:48 »
great site, that got saved in the fav's

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 11:07 »
Hello Siara and NZsnowman,

Concerning the horizontal bar, I had not noticed it yet as I concentrate on the hull at present. It matches perfectly however with what is on one of my plans. Siarra, I just send a photo that I did for NZsnowman to you about it by PM.

You might have missed these 2 holes Siarra, but you have seen so many other details that most others ignore or just don't see that your model is still for me by far the most accurate one I have ever seen.

For the bar, my plan will show you the water drop profile and the right place for it. Up to you to decide to add it or not as almost everybody ignore its there anyway.

I am very impressed by both of your works and I am very glad if I can help both of you has you have provided me and others with so much informations already.

Cordially Yours  :)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 12:38 »
Looks like i have to make a little correction, and add that bar in. :D
Shame the boat is alreay painted. ::)
Well see....

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 15:33 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words, Jean-Luc. Yes, Wink and I did the U-Brass set. There were certain areas of the Revell kit that we knew no aftermarket company was going to fix. So we just did it ourselves and called ourselves U-Brass. Then we sold the rights to White Ensign. Later Wink and I teamed up to do more sub stuff, this time as AMP. Our forthcoming Type II set is pretty much a larger and more developed version of the U-Brass set, only this time addressing everything on the model rather than merely the holes.

Yeah, I'd add the two holes and the horizontal bar. The horizontal bar was definitely on U 99 and U 442. The photo you posted is of a Blohm & Voss boat, not sure which U-number. 

Concerning the anchor well, I'm not entirely sure about the two holes at the top. However, if you are modelling U 552 with the anchor in place, then it doesn't matter too much as the anchor will cover this area anyway. It is my understanding that U-boats didn't use the anchor very often. So I'd be inclined to model your boat as if the anchor hadn't been dropped.

Thanks for the kind words on the Australian fires...a terrible disaster. Wink lives in Australia (while I am in the UK) so I'm sure Wink will appreciate your words.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb , 2009, 16:40 »
Hi,

I do not want to publish the whole set of plans as it would be unfair for the editor, but in occasional cases such as this one I think everybody could benefit from this info.

So here is part of the plan covering this particular bar we are talking about.

I am glad about the work you are putting on the Type 2 as it will be my next sub project and I am certain that your add on will bring a terrific improvement. :D

Talking about future projects, did you ever think of a set of decals or others to super detail the 88 gun? ::)
 :)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb , 2009, 13:32 »
Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for the plans showing the bar location. We haven't thought about more VIIC decals. Our hands have been rather full in recent months with the Type IIA set!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb , 2009, 04:14 »
Hi,

I am searching documentation on the mechanism that open and close the outer torpedoes doors. ???

If someone has photos or plans on that subject it could really help me.

Thanks in advance for looking,

Cordially,

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb , 2009, 00:08 »
It looks like to me from these pictures that both doors open/close at the same time. You can see a rod on the back of the tube door, that should move the torpedoe door.

Pictures from http://www.uboataces.com/u995.shtml

Offline Trierarch

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb , 2009, 01:19 »
 :D

Super,

This does answer the two questions. The tube door, open the outer door and get behind at the same time. Simple and clever technique. that they use. It looks like the "keep it simple stupid" rule was applied to U-boot's too. ;)

Thank you very much for this great info.

Cordially,

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb , 2009, 02:01 »
It is my understanding that U-boats didn't use the anchor very often. So I'd be inclined to model your boat as if the anchor hadn't been dropped.
Dougie

True- im yet to see the first picture of anchored U-Boot, or film schowing anchor being droped.

The torpedo door- i used the same set of pictures depicting the door on my boat. The mechanism was similar on american boats too.
PE by White Ensign Models offers lovely torpedo door, which when mounted correctly will never be seen. ;D
Few schots of the boats with the torp door open- the tube lid is non visible:

« Last Edit: 14 Feb , 2009, 02:12 by Siara »