Author Topic: Main side drain holes/vents  (Read 3426 times)

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
Main side drain holes/vents
« on: 26 May , 2015, 12:34 »
I am looking for photos of the drain holes/vents from the side above the saddle tanks.

One resin pressure hull I have looked at shows a baffle system just a few feet behind the vents (with what look like two baffles with circular holes in them).

Does anyone have a photograph of the top of the pressure hull without the deck on it? I have THE book on the subject, but so far, no luck. Thanks in advance.
Vom Original zum Modell, Uboottyp IX C

uboatfan

Re: Main side drain holes/vents
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun , 2015, 23:52 »
Hello bill_c,

don't know if on the pictures is visible what you are loking for, but may be they are helpfull:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=96192&sid=38104df517efe8df29a4166d80b0081b&start=80

Author "Channel"; Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Regards,

Uboatfan

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun , 2015, 17:20 »
Sorry, Fan, that's not what I'm looking for.

Those drain holes appear to be for the saddle tanks. But what about the water that collected above the pressure hull but below the decking? That would be a LOT of H2O.

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul , 2015, 15:35 »
Still no one with any ideas?

uboatfan

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul , 2015, 13:21 »
Hello Bill_C,

i have made a picture to undestand what you are looking for:

Your Question is about the water inside the red lines (Picture shows only a short part of hull stucture).

As i guess it is not possible to drain this only by one or two tubes. You are right, it will be a lot of water there.

I think about that and come to the result that may be this water was drained along the pressure hull to front and aft if necessary.
At all pictures i know the water level for a full equipped boat was julst below the side drain holes. In this case the area above the pressure hull is just under the water level. So may be there was no need to drain it quicly to the side.

Is this you are looking for?

Regards,

Uboatfan
« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2015, 13:25 by uboatfan »

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul , 2015, 15:27 »

Here are the drain holes from the outside. There are two "baffles" with holes in them. I believe that behind them are metal walls, but that would create a huge reservoir of water beneath the wooden deck and above the pressure hull. Some of that water could drain out through small holes in the side, but not enough to reduce the extreme weight of the water. But I have been unable to find photos of what the area above the pressure hull looks like.

uboatfan

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul , 2015, 00:05 »
Do you mean the two vertical supports in each drain hole ? Are this the "buffles"?
Please make a marking at the picture you post or make a scetch of what you mean and what you think about behind this visible structures.
Otherwise it will be very difficult to understand.

Gererally the upper structure of a type IX is similar as at type VII boats.

Regards

uboatfan

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul , 2015, 09:13 »
Sorry, I don't have a means for making a sketch or marking photos.

I'm trying to determine what is behind those drain holes? I've installed a pressure hull from Glenn's drawings, and have the German resin pressure hull topper in my possession. It shows the drain holes are backed by slanted compartments, allowing air to escape from the saddle tanks when they are flooded, or water to escape when they are blown to surface. But with a slotted main deck, tons of water would fill the area in the middle with no obvious way to drain out when the craft surfaces.

uboatfan

« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul , 2015, 13:53 »
Oh men...

it is not easy to help you!

you d'ont answer my questions. You post another Picture and then you discribe exactly what i have schown at the picture!

So let start again:

Please answer to my question.

Do we talk about the water above the preasure hull and between the "saddle" tanks (on my picture the area inside the red lines)?

You want to know what is behind of the small but long and large side drain holes shown at your picture?

You want to know how the water in the area above pressure hull an between "saddle tanks" drained to outside?

Are your answers are "Yes" for all my Questions?
Then please search for U 534 . You will find a lot of pictures of this sub cutted in four pices. You also see a lot of details obove the preassure hull.

You are able to see all what you asked about and also the drain tubes for the water.
It is not a huge ammount of water as mentioned by you. 6 or 7 small tubes per side, approx 10 cm diameter are enought for it.
On the picture you post one of it (outside end) is shown also. The smaller and higher one of the two visible round holes.

In addition some information for you:

The german upper pressure hull resin parts are not 100% correct. The complete air vent system for diving and balast tanks are missing. The tubes for torpedo storage have not the corect diameter. And a lot of other issues...
But you can use it. In a completed modell you do not see anything of this...

The side drain holes are not for air or water in/out to diving tanks or balast system.
They have the same funktion as the side drain holes at a type VII: To drain the water under the deck floor plates outside.

May this helps...

PS: you can modify a picture with each painting programm. Today each smartphone, tablet or computer has a simple Programm like that. Otherwise you can use "Word" or equal)

Uboatfan

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul , 2015, 16:23 »
OK, we've gotten closer, but there still is something missing.

The answer to your questions is all "yes."

But if the side vents in the photo I posted are to drain away the water under the floor plates, then why does that resin pressure hull show them with metal walls behind them? I accept that the resin hull isn't perfect, but I was in Chicago at the museum, and did not see the side drain holes as open. And they aren't in the photo I posted.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at U-534 photos, but 90% of them were taken from beneath, not above, so it's not possible to see what is beside the drains shown in my photo.

uboatfan

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul , 2015, 01:17 »
Tthe drain holes are closed now?
That is not correct! (At U 995 they closed all drain holes also.)
In original state they are all open.
Some years ago all holes at U 505 was open!
Give me a little bit time. I have to look at my pictures....

But you can search about U 505. You will find pictures from it at the old location (Outside the building). You can look throught.

I have looked at the resin parts. But i do not see the metall wals?
May you have installed it at the wrong position? The top surface of the "saddle tanks" has to be flusch with  the lower line of the (open) side drain holes.

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul , 2015, 10:52 »
I haven't installed the resin hull. I MAY use it for the new slim-waist IX that Revell is bringing out later this year. But I'm trying to find out what the boat looks like behind the drain holes, which are open on the real sub, but so darkly-illuminated that you can't see inside.

uboatfan

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul , 2015, 12:23 »
After i have checked all my pictures i cant help you...

The best impression of what is behind the side drain holes are at the pictures about  U534.
You have to do a deep search... but you will find a lot. The rest is logical thinking and combination.

It seems that nobody has original drawings about all these details today. The existing drawings are not correct and not complete.

May be you can go again to U 505 and look with a flashlight.
A view years ago they do a restoration on U 505. They replaced some parts of the wooden deck and do rust prevention. May be they have taken some pictures of the structures you are looking for. You have to ask. Please post result if you get some...
I hope they have not scrap all these things as happend at U 995.

For the modell you plan it is not neccesaary to build the inner structures very accuracy if you do not open the side, there is not enought light to see more than shadows.

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov , 2015, 15:03 »
Arthritis challenge accepted. Will be hitting the Aleve® really hard tonight no doubt.

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb , 2016, 08:49 »
You have the holes opened up fine, but the thin "wires" (2x hole) are actually baffles that extend into the ship.