Author Topic: Did Type IX C-40 "thin waist" boats have deck guns?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
With the good news that Eduard is revising its marvelous, but not to-scale 105mm resin deck gun after our own Glenn Cauley called them on their error, it raises the question of whether the "thin waist" Schnorkel Type IX C/40 boats had deck guns? Anyone have references one way or the other?

With Revell of Germany's new kit coming out any day now, it's a question I'd like answered.
« Last Edit: 07 May , 2015, 12:27 by bill_c »

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Did Type IX C-42 "thin waist" boats have deck guns?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May , 2015, 14:11 »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 05 May , 2015, 15:41 »
Thanks for posting those, Glenn, I had not seen them.

I am hoping that one of our _Experten_ can opine on whether these boats all all from the period after the deck guns were dispensed with.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 May , 2015, 10:30 »
Hi Bill and Glenn,

I think I may have the answer but can I clarify that you mean the Type IXs with the cut out foredeck (the schnelltauchback)? (since there was no IXC-42)

There were two IXCs and about 25 or so IXC/40s which had the cut out foredeck modification made to them. And a few IXDs too.

The cut out foredeck was first introduced in 1944 but this was well after the 105mm deck gun was ordered to be removed (order was on 27/04/43). So there should have been no boats with the 105mm deck gun and cut out foredeck.

There was at least one Type IXD (U 875) which had the cut out foredeck and a gun on the foredeck but this was a 37mm automatic rather than a 105mm. In any case this was a IXD which was very different from the IXC (and the Revell kits are IXCs not IXDs).

So, unless there was an exception for an unknown reason, it wouldn't be advisable to add a 105mm to the forthcoming Revell kit (the one with the cut out foredeck).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #4 on: 06 May , 2015, 10:41 »
I believe what we are discussing is the upcoming boat from Revell... kit #05133 which they designate as a Type IX C/40 with the cut-out foredeck and schnorkel.
It is slated for release in Nov 2015.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

uboatfan

« Reply #5 on: 06 May , 2015, 11:15 »
Hello Dougie, hello all,

The type IX D1 and D2 initially had a 10.5.
At that time as this boats where modficated to use as cargo transporter the 10.5 where replaced by a 3.7mm Gun.

Here you find a Photo with the 3.7 instead of the 10.5:

http://www.uboataces.com/images/u-234-portsmouth.jpg

Regards,

Uboatfan

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: 06 May , 2015, 15:11 »
Hi, speaking of which  i just found a picture of U862 sporting the 10.5 gun ( IXD-2, but am not sure the boat had the cutout  foredeck. Also found a picture of U873  and another of U875 w the 3.7 gun on the foredeck. Unfortunately i am PC-orphan these days (painfully writing from cheap smartphone at the moment) and i cant post them right now. I will ask my gf to land me her mac asap hehehe!
Cheers

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
Re: Did Type IX C-40 "thin waist" boats have deck guns?
« Reply #7 on: 07 May , 2015, 12:29 »
Thanks, Dougie. I likely will build the new Revell boat, but have no intentions of "back-dating" the 505 kit as Glenn is. There's enough pain and frustration in this life & hobby without THAT!  ;D

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #8 on: 03 Dec , 2015, 18:44 »
Just got my new Type IX C/40 (U 190)... no deck gun.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 22:00 »
Hi, speaking of which  i just found a picture of U862 sporting the 10.5 gun ( IXD-2, but am not sure the boat had the cutout  foredeck. Also found a picture of U873  and another of U875 w the 3.7 gun on the foredeck. Unfortunately i am PC-orphan these days (painfully writing from cheap smartphone at the moment) and i cant post them right now. I will ask my gf to land me her mac asap hehehe!
Cheers

U 862 did NOT have the cut-down fore deck. The book "U-boat Far From Home", which is about U 862's war patrol off Australia and New Zealand, has a good photo of the port side of the boat, showing its wide fore deck and 10.5 cm deck gun..

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: 05 Dec , 2015, 23:17 »
Well done, Capn Tucker! Thanks for sharing your finding
« Last Edit: 05 Dec , 2015, 23:21 by SG »

Offline Capn Tucker

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec , 2015, 11:19 »
Well done, Capn Tucker! Thanks for sharing your finding

Glad to be of help. Now, if Revell would just release a Type IXD2 kit. U 862 is top of my list when that happens. Although U 861 is also very tempting..