Author Topic: Photos of torpedo doors?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
Photos of torpedo doors?
« on: 05 May , 2015, 10:03 »
I'm puzzled by the torpedo door array in the RoG kit and the Eduard PE set 53-106. The kit's simplification has a panel (B25 & B26)) running down the center-line of the forward torpedo door array (B24). The Eduard PE set includes an overlay of B24 (3) that prevents using B25 & B26. As I read the Eduard instructions, this would then show a gap in front of the torpedo tube covers if both sets of outer doors are modeled open.

I searched the web but couldn't find any photos showing how the front torpedo doors look when open. The photos from U-505 are dark, and the doors are only open and visible on the port side (the starboard side has a torpedo shown being ejected).

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Photos of torpedo doors?
« Reply #1 on: 06 May , 2015, 02:13 »
Howdy Bill,

I was sure I had a couple shots from my visit, but they ain't in with the others! Anyway, found this:

Some quick Torpedo Lingo: (apologies if I'm telling you stuff you know)

DOOR
A torp tube has two "DOORS," breech (loading) and muzzle (shooting). The muzzle door is properly called "OUTER DOOR". When closed, the tube is watertight.

In the movies "flood tubes 1 through 3 and open outer doors" means let the water in and then open the muzzle hatches/doors - you can't open the muzzle door until flooded, as sea pressure is too strong.

SHUTTER
This is the strip of metal that conforms to the hull when closed, for hydrodynamics so the boat doesn't drag (and also make noise) ramming into the water. It is NOT water tight, just part of the bow to keep water flowing. So a LOT of gaps! And big ones.

The Type IXs had a system almost identical to the US Gato subs:

The IXs had the shutter slide forward OUTside the hull, the Gatos INside, but otherwise, same principle.

Here's the VII system: (attached)
The Type VIIs had a complicated connection between the shutter and the outer door - the outer door was hidden behind the shutter.

« Last Edit: 06 May , 2015, 02:18 by Rokket »
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Photos of torpedo doors?
« Reply #2 on: 06 May , 2015, 02:17 »
found another good shot
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant