Author Topic: U-190 emblem colour  (Read 2352 times)

Ryan

U-190 emblem colour
« on: 24 Apr , 2015, 16:00 »

Hi
Looking for some opinions as to what the main colour of the black outlined U-190 might be as well as the emblem. I have seen 2 options for the emblem being black or medium green outlined in white....any thoughts
Thanks
Ryan

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: U-190 emblem colour
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr , 2015, 11:28 »
According to "Navires & histoire hors serie issue 13: les sous marins de la kriegsmarine 1935-45 (I)" (which covers uboats from U1 to U200) the main color of the insingnia is black + white outline. Beautiful picture by the way!
Cheers
SG
« Last Edit: 04 May , 2015, 09:55 by SG »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr , 2015, 14:25 »
Yes, A great photo! So much detail!!!

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr , 2015, 15:34 »
Hello gents,

Regarding the emblem, the colour code in George Hoegel's emblem book shows black (plus white outline).

For the U-190, it isn't that obvious what colour is inside the black outline since this region of the tower is dirty and weathered. In quite a few areas the inside colour looks the same as the weathered / dirty areas of the tower, so perhaps only a black outline may have been used.

If you don't find a resolution to this question you could go for the U-190 in white, as per other photos of the boat in Canadian ports.

Cheers,

Dougie

Ryan

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr , 2015, 16:43 »
Thanks for the suggestions....Another angle seems to show a colour inside of the black outlined 109. Thoughts again?

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr , 2015, 03:47 »
Hi all,
I have a suspicion that the U190 was painted on the tower after surrender and the last picture is of it hving only the outline painted on.
Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr , 2015, 15:32 »
Hi Ryan and Jon,

Nice photo you posted there. This particular image does look like there is colour inside the outline but given the previous image it is difficult to be sure.

Jon is correct in that the "U-190" was painted on by Canadian personnel after the surrender. Another thing to consider is that the lightish grey on the tower and upper hull is very likely to be Canadian paint. The reason I say this is because other photos show the boat just after surrender, with a very weathered tower with a large degree of paint peeling (just like other IXs which surrendered). Since so much paint had peeled from the tower, the Canadians painted the upper hull and tower in some form of lightish grey, quite probably some form of grey used by the RCN.

That is why you see some post capture photos of U 190 being very weathered (the original German paint) and other photos showing fresh paint (Canadian post capture paint).

Cheers,

Dougie

Ryan

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr , 2015, 23:09 »
Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 04 May , 2015, 09:43 »
 ;) Excellent Detail Photos! I would never guess the correct colours! Thanks for the info as well!
Regards,
Dan