Poll

TYPE VIIC

VIIC
2 (100%)
VIIC
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: 1/72 Pontos Models U-Boot Type VII C Super Detail Set  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Mad_Smut

• Midshipman Cadet
Hello.

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/1-72-pontos-models-u-boot-type-vii-c-super-detail-set/

Why the best arming-sentences always come out right at the end ??? :'( >:(

Offline iceonaboy

• Lt Cdr
Re: 1/72 Pontos Models U-Boot Type VII C Super Detail Set
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan , 2015, 02:26 »
Incredible detail in that kit! :o

Jawohl herr Kaleun!

cola

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan , 2015, 07:33 »
Wow, that looks fantastic!!!  Hmmm was going to say it seemed a bit pricey, but maybe not when you consider everything that's there.

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan , 2015, 11:00 »
Hi All

Thought the name was familiar, they were displaying their sets at Telford. Looks like they have dropped their price a little as it was advertised for £90. Looks very comprehensive, just add figures. I can't say anything about the accuracy of the parts. A good value kit if you don't have a collection of detail parts already.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan , 2015, 12:23 »
Hi Gentlemen,

parts layout and instructions:

http://pontosmodel.com/html/72001f1.html

120,00 Bucks? Means 120,00 EUR here in the Euro-Zone. IMO a stiff price but as Cap said, this is the only aftermarket set which is needed for a accurate model.

@ Cap: Are you visiting Telford every year? Planned a visit last year too but no chance. If I make it this year, let's meet and hoist a brew ...
« Last Edit: 29 Jan , 2015, 15:21 by falo »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan , 2015, 00:11 »
The bridge stuff is the best part, very mice
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Mad_Smut

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan , 2015, 02:01 »
Hi.

The set is very accurate. But most of the parts I have already received by other sets such as the manufacturer SRS on ebay. Just 120 € for a couple of certain parts of this set then is too expensive.

Regards
Björn

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan , 2015, 07:15 »
I am torn... looking at what is included they have some NICE stuff that does not seem to be present in other sets (particularly the bridge stuff).   I openly wondered at their choice of staining the deck teak, though, since they were never that colour.   And one more niggly thing... the bollard posts are solid brass but should have the top end hollow where the top plate is.  Otherwise... again... I am torn.    LOL   but nice to see there is still interest out there for these fine boats!
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan , 2015, 07:46 »
Hi Glenn,

Are the the bollard posts hollow, i.e. tubular or is the top dished, I as as I have some cast bollards from tehnoart which art dished and some PE tops and tubes which would be hollow?

Regards
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb , 2015, 08:10 »
Hi Jon,

I believe that the bollard posts would be solid with a dished top.  It would not make sense to have the whole post hollow, as it would not be strong enough.   
When the top plate is on the bollard post, there is a bar that runs through the diameter; there must be space under that bar to pass a rope underneath for tying off.
It was easier for modellers to make it from brass tubing, though.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb , 2015, 15:22 »
Hi Glenn,

thanks for that, that was what I thought, but I thought I would see what you thought.

Regards
Jon
« Last Edit: 11 Feb , 2015, 12:42 by Capt Kremin »
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb , 2015, 13:32 »
Got my set on the way!
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb , 2015, 17:20 »
At first i was wondering why it was so expensive,, then when you really look at all that it includes,, its actually a good deal.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb , 2015, 06:00 »
I just received my 72001F1 set yesterday       ;D
VERY nice.

The deck is a very thin, self-adhesive veneer.   It should stain beautifully, and has very nice texture.   the engraving and holes are very finely defined. A bit of work will be required on the underlying plastic deck to remove some material under the wooden deck slots, for a proper illusion of depth.

There are 2 frets of PE parts... 1 fret is brass, the other silver-coated.   The first thing that impressed me is the scale size of the "safety treading" on the bow & stern deck end areas.
The quality of the PE is superb, and there are many nice details (some that do not exist in other sets).

All of the machined metal parts... and there are A LOT... are of extremely high quality and detail.  The periscopes, both attack & "sky" have nicely detailed heads. The UZO pillar is very nice.   The propellers are superb, with a shiny gold finish.

The only cast resin item is the attack periscope base to replace the generic, non-descript plastic blob that is included in the kit.  There are a lot of PE bits that go into creating the finished base, and from the looks of the instruction pictures it should be a work of art when completed.

The instructions are typical Pontos quality... full-colour, large sheets with large clear pictures and part numbers showing how/where parts go together.

The price may seem a bit daunting, but you get A LOT of high-quality parts in this set... wooden veneer deck, lots of PE, LOTS of machined metal parts, and a finely-cast periscope base.   

Just looking at this set, I am very impressed.

There is a forum post on Modelwarships HERE:  http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=158680
« Last Edit: 27 Feb , 2015, 06:56 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr , 2015, 13:02 »
I have most of the previous brass sets, so the Pontos seems like re-inventing the wheel. Or is there something included that is lacking in the others? I have the Griffon guns, Schatton scopes, etc.