Author Topic: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress  (Read 58920 times)

bracco_n

Re: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress
« Reply #105 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 12:08 »
Hello fellas! I'm back from the seaside and work resumend in the shipyard. We have to lament the loss of the Naxos head when my mother arbitrarily decided to relocate the shipyard while I was away. As you can see in the pics, the hulls is painted except at the waterline which still has to be done. An interesting note: I painted the whole ship using a brush, no airbrush for me. I'm really satisfied with the deck and the metal parts on it. The railing modification on the upper flak platform is also finished. In two pics you can see an attempt I made at weathering, please leave comments on it.
Things to be done: AA armament, waterline, anchor, weathering, correct some painting mistakes all over the hull.
What do you think?

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #106 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 14:36 »
Glad to see you back bracco.  Your build is looking very fine!  Great job brush painting, it looks outstanding.  The deck is coming along quite well also.

Ernest

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 10 Feb , 2010, 16:21 »
bracco, nice build.  And I think the weathering on the deck, especially around the metal hatch covers, looks great.  It's going to be a great model when finished.

I too like to use a brush, rather than an airbrush, for military models (except of course where you need a fuzzy blend of colours for specific camo patterns) because it helps with the weathering process.

Specifically, on painting my U-boat, I made all the brush strokes on the topsides in a vertical direction.  While the first stroke might have been any direction to get into corners, before it can dry I always brush it in the direction that rain and any other elements would cause streaking.

Even if you can't see the brush strokes yourself, when you do overcoats for weathering, the next colour will tend to pick up slight differences in the brush marks and enhance the weathering effect.

The other comment I can make is not to dispair on your waterline.  In fact, USE it!!  The white markings I see (from tape pulling off?) can be used to increase the weathering, it's almost exactly where some rust would show up and where algae would build up on the hull.  But the way it's happened on your boat looks entirely natural, just not the correct colours.

So when you get around to doing the weathering, try and get the rust/algae colours that you're using to cover the white parts, rather than trying to paint more grey there.  You could even build up layers because in real life, the algae is on top of the paint.  Also keep in mind that the anti-fouling paint below the waterline keeps the algae and rust away longer than the topsides paint, which is for camo and therefore doesn't have the antifouling ingredients mixed in.

Also, don't worry about the Naxos too much.  If you're patient enough to wait for 203 months, you can get a replacement part sent from the kit manufacturer.  Just email them.

OR, you can scratch build a Naxos that will look more realistic than the kit one anyway if you have the skills.  Your local hobby shop will have brass rod/wire of the right thickness, or you can use efine electrical wirer without the plastic insulation.  (I always save any scrapes from a telephone repair for instance, those thin wires are VERY useful).  You can make the mesh to go around it from fine screens, like what comes with gasoline can filters, or some kitchen sieves.  For the two little antenna on the Naxos I'm using whiskers from my cats.  (No, I didn't pull them off, they fall off every once in a while and I always save them)  The cat's whiskers are thin enough but unlike wire, they don't take a permanent bend when bumped and they will stay in place if you predrill a hole in the wire and/or CA them in place.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #108 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 01:02 »
I think Pat says it all. I airbrushed the fairwater/superstructure, but vertical hand brushed my hull for metal grain and weathering, seemed to work.

Pat's other advice sounds excellent!

Oh, and yes, deck looks great!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #109 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 01:30 »
I like the color of the deck.
Looking real good.

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #110 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 04:43 »
Hey Nicolas, hope you had a good recreation time!  :D
I think my "previous speaker" said it all...besides that I

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #111 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 10:39 »
Looks really nice, especially the deck!

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #112 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 11:32 »
       Nicolas...I plan on using brush strokes on my hull as well. ( I liked the effect on Winks 557). Hopefully it will look as nice as yours..
                                                                  Bill

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #113 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 12:12 »
Same as the deck, from what I can gather. The deck was wood treated with carblinoulieoumbumdum (spell), and tho there seem to have been 2 types, a common was a charcoal col that matched the hull paint and the anti-fouling paint. The difference would be slight, between the deck an the metal, you might make the metal more solid charcoal, and the deck more thin and washy. The deck grates were wood, but there are some metal hatches. Dogie's Uboat colours article (AMP website, Library) will have more indepth info.

Re hatch colors:

Same as the deck seems to look best.
I've found that a little powdered graphite (from an art store or sanded from a soft pencil (4B) applied lightly with a fingertip gives the hatch a metallic look which is pretty subtle. It looks especially good over painted rust as it tones the rust down a bit. You might want to try some tests off the model first. I think you'll like the result.

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 11 Feb , 2010, 15:15 »
Nice suggestion about the graphite Don-i-C.  Definitely worth a try.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #115 on: 12 Feb , 2010, 15:45 »
Same as the deck, from what I can gather. The deck was wood treated with carblinoulieoumbumdum (spell), and tho there seem to have been 2 types, a common was a charcoal col that matched the hull paint and the anti-fouling paint. The difference would be slight, between the deck an the metal, you might make the metal more solid charcoal, and the deck more thin and washy. The deck grates were wood, but there are some metal hatches. Dogie's Uboat colours article (AMP website, Library) will have more indepth info.

Re hatch colors:

I've found that a little powdered graphite (from an art store or sanded from a soft pencil (4B) applied lightly with a fingertip gives the hatch a metallic look which is pretty subtle. It looks especially good over painted rust as it tones the rust down a bit. You might want to try some tests off the model first. I think you'll like the result.

This is a nice finishing touch to any metal surface, particularly edges of the tank huls.
I use the range of pencils from Derwent, from 2B- 6B. Check the art store for led pencil- it works best.

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #116 on: 13 Feb , 2010, 12:37 »

Re hatch colors:

This is a nice finishing touch to any metal surface, particularly edges of the tank huls.
I use the range of pencils from Derwent, from 2B- 6B. Check the art store for led pencil- it works best.

I bought a small container of powdered graphite at an art store years ago (About the size of a can of catfood) and still have plenty left. It also looks good when applied lightly  on an edge where two metal surfaces come together at an angle, on weld seams, tread plates, bolt heads and the edges of dive planes and rudders. For those who have used metallic steel -or other metallic paints to create raw metal edges you might want to give the graphite a try. 

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #117 on: 13 Feb , 2010, 16:00 »
You can also by it as a lubricant in a squeeze bottle, at hardware stores and if not in yurs, then an industrial supply place. Be careful if you get the squeeze bottle, it comes out in a cloud!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

bracco_n

« Reply #118 on: 22 Jul , 2010, 20:22 »
Hey mates, I'm back! University really gave me a hard time this last cuatrimester (my first in fact) so I didn't have much time for modelling. But I'm in winter holidays now and work on my boat was resumed. I'll give you a brief update:
-CG is weathered and glued to the deck, the decals are placed, only Flak and lifebelts missing
-Deck is pretty much done, weathering on the big bow and stern PE parts is yet to be done, I still have to add the graphite to the metal parts
-The hull is weathered and ready only a few little details missing
If we have sun tomorrow I'll take the boat out and do some photos so you can see and comment. I must warn you: my weathering is extremely basic!
'till tomorrow!

Offline Jan

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #119 on: 23 Jul , 2010, 02:00 »
Hey Nicolas, good to see you back on board! Can`t wait to see the pics!