Author Topic: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress  (Read 58589 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Type VIIC/41 - Work in Progress
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan , 2009, 05:47 »
Hi Nicolas and Bill,

The hammer and mallet was added on 03/01/45 and was made of sheet brass (source: Georg Hoegel). This was added on either side of the tower, directly above the navigation light. If you look at this exact location on the top image I posted, you can see a dark shape. I suspect this is the hammer and mallet sheet. 

Note the pipe on the deck at the foot of the tower (on the starboard side).

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan , 2009, 15:49 »
Dougie thanks for your replies. I'll get to the emblema topic once I'm done with the building.
Now I'm interested in the pipe you're mentioning. Can you get a more detailed picture of it? There's a strange device close to the middle of the pipe and I don't know what it is (and how to build it!)

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 05:34 »
         Nicolas...What i have used in the past to fabricate piping is "O" ring material. Long straight runs
come out very well because it has some "stretch"...Making bends, especially sharp ones, can be achieved by slitting it lenghtwise and glueing in a ridged wire (coat hanger?) When you make your bend it stays there. Take a look at my "beer can" p-hull and you can see an example.."O" Ring material comes in many diameters..I think, myself, the results are rewarding..
                                                                 Regards/ Cheers....Bill

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 06:07 »
Hi Nicolas,

I can't recall of seeing better photos of this pipe than on U 1023. But if I come across a photo I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Dougie

bracco_n

« Reply #34 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 07:52 »
Bill and Dougie, many thanks for your replies!
Small update, I've been working on the free flooding holes. This is what I've got so far on the starboard side:

I have some doubts as there are no pictures of the port side. Should I fill the holes as I did on the stb side? What do I have to do with the long horizontal gap?

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 09:40 »
Hi Nicolas,

On the long horizontal slot on the port side, drill away 11mm at the front. I don't have photos of the port side of U 1203. My best guess for the port side holes would be 21 on the top row and 16 on the bottom row.

For more details of hole patterns see -

http://amp.rokket.biz/documents/vent_patterns_031208.pdf

Cheers,

Dougie 

bracco_n

« Reply #36 on: 01 Feb , 2009, 18:03 »
Very well Dougie I'll get to works right away.
Today I built the top side for the torpedo doors and some minor modification on the CG of which I'll post pictures later.

bracco_n

« Reply #37 on: 04 Feb , 2009, 10:14 »
Hello everybody. My computer is out of order so I can

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #38 on: 06 Feb , 2009, 14:26 »
Coming along nicely Bracco!

bracco_n

« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb , 2009, 10:06 »
I'm back from Rio. Will get back to work inbmediately!

bracco_n

« Reply #40 on: 18 Feb , 2009, 10:13 »
Work has been resumed. Some Eduard detail has been added to the hull. The torpedo doors have been done. The limber holes have been corrected according to U-1023 photos. Work has started on the P-hull. I made the central par using a tube I found at home and the tubes that come with toilet paper. I found that this material is very useful as it has the correct curvature and it's shape can be changed by applying some pressure. I used the bulkheads that Revell provides to hold my p-hull. I'm pretty happy with the results. Now I'll get to build the extensions of the saddle tanks. What are your opinions?

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #41 on: 18 Feb , 2009, 10:27 »
Hi bracco, the pressure hull is looking very good.  Though I'll bet the bikinis looked pretty good on the Rio beaches too! ;)

Ernest 

bracco_n

« Reply #42 on: 19 Feb , 2009, 05:56 »
I'm about to place the ribs above the saddle tanks. Could any of you tell me how much space should I leave between ribs and how thick should they be?
And yes Ernest, brazilian girls are amaaazing!!

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb , 2009, 11:01 »
In RL it was 0,6m, but in the model be guided by the rivets on outside of the thin strip above the tanks. ;)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb , 2009, 11:04 »
Hi bracco_n

Here is a unfinish plans that I am doing for my working drawing http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=124.0

Drawing http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ye0tz3zngoj

The orange lines are the full frame count and distances in real world. However, the average spacing is 500 mm or 6.9 mm at 1:72. The green lines are the ribbing.

Siara, the ribbing was 600 mm and frames are 500 mm ;)

« Last Edit: 19 Feb , 2009, 12:57 by NZSnowman »