Author Topic: Interesting photo  (Read 2055 times)

bracco_n

Interesting photo
« on: 26 Jan , 2009, 16:35 »
Hello everybody, I'm posting here a photo of my personal collection. In it you can see some boats of 24th Flotilla. I can clearly see some VIIC types, the stern of a type IX and an a U boat which I cannot identify. I'm adding a closeup of the boat.

I think that it might be a Type Xb because of the shape of the saddle tanks. But i've been told in another forum that it can't be, they didn't tell me anything else. I would like to hear your opinions, could this possibly be a type Xb?

Nicolas

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: Interesting photo
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 17:04 »
Sadle tanks look wider than normal VIIC, so im guessing it can be VIIF.
VIIF was 1,1m wider, to accomodate extra 24 torpedos, and oil.
As to the location- it looks like Norway? ???

bracco_n

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan , 2009, 17:26 »
Siara, I've never thought about that! I've ralised that 5th U-flotilla also used a V as insignia . Assuming that it is a VIIF it must he 5th flotilla, assuming all those facts the picture is taken in Kiel.
Excellent Siara, thank you very much!

I would like to hear dougie's opinion.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 03:37 »
in Kiel there aren't any mountains! Can not be! Still looks like Norway to me.............
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 14:23 »
Hi Nicolas,

It isn't an XB due to the size, or a VIIF. The location will likely be Trontheim in Norway, where the 24th were stationed for a while.

The tops of the saddle tanks look a bit flat for a VIIC, as you have noticed. The tops of the saddle tanks on the VIIAs were, I think, flatter in shape than the VIIC - a bit like in this photo. The hull sides above the tanks were also angled the same on the VIIAs as on this boat. The 24th did have a few VIIAs, and I've seen VIIAs of the 24th pictured in Trontheim.

I can't really tell due to the quality of the image but might it be a VIIA?   

Cheers,

Dougie