Author Topic: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing  (Read 512262 times)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Re: VIIC/41 - Schematices drawing
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jan , 2009, 15:39 »
Do you know what the plate the with funny outline do?

I really dont know. The shape of it gives me ideas- it may be something to do with the capstan. Picture this:
lever is inserted in the slot, and wedged in the recess to release the clutch mechanism on the capstan ratchet? ???

Than theres two more of these slots on the stern of the boat- so i rally dont know. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

Also...Do you know what this is call?

Not a clue my friend. But we have so many submarine eggheads here im sure your question will get answered. ;)

Mr.Mox

« Reply #61 on: 23 Jan , 2009, 00:23 »

Also...Do you know what this is call? Thanks.

I know what its called in danish - "klyds" - does that count ?  ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #62 on: 23 Jan , 2009, 01:00 »
It's damn frustrating to be i this situation - discover a new angle/part and not have full info. I've never noticed it before!
You right- like this little detail here:

Next step- deck fixings.

TBC...

Hi Siara, While working on the under the deck piping today, I came across your two down pipes. They are the main blowing pipes for tanks 2 and 4 :)

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #63 on: 23 Jan , 2009, 01:47 »
Good job! I always wondered what the pipes were there for. :D

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jan , 2009, 02:25 »

Do you know what the plate the with funny outline do?[/quote]

I really dont know. The shape of it gives me ideas- it may be something to do with the capstan. Picture this:
lever is inserted in the slot, and wedged in the recess to release the clutch mechanism on the capstan ratchet? ???

Than theres two more of these slots on the stern of the boat- so i rally dont know. Maybe someone else can shed some light on

Not a clue my friend. But we have so many submarine eggheads here im sure your question will get answered. ;)

[/quote]
    G/day Simon/Siara...I've been puzzled myself over these 3 bits..After looking at many deck photos and drwgs. I think I may have found something...If you look at the General Plan Drawing for VIIC ..The top view shows these 3 pieces...the 2 on the stern are on either side of the spare torpedo stowage..the 1 on the bow is directly in line with the torpedo stowage..If you look at a photo of the crew removing the aft. torpedo you'll see that the rigging is attached to the deck...It's just a "wild guess" but I think these odd looking bits are used for the rigging.
 I hope this is of some help...It sure seems a practicle application....Cheers/Regards..Bill

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jan , 2009, 11:38 »
Thanks Siara. I have this already. This is what makes me believe that there is a missing vent on all the plans I have. If you look closely that all three valves, they all go to the deck. Both the Bow Driving and Stern main buoyancy tanks have deck vents, but where is the Stern Driving Tank deck vent? Surely not all the plans could be wrong ???

I think I may have found the missing inlet vent for the Stern Driving Tank that is found between frame numbers -10 and -11 :) If you look at all three sterm plans you can make it out. I easiest to see on the VIID plans. Does anyone have any pictures of the very end of the stern, so I can check this?

Here are two plans that show the Stern Driving Tank in blue.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan , 2009, 17:28 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #66 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 11:45 »
It's damn frustrating to be i this situation - discover a new angle/part and not have full info. I've never noticed it before!
You right- like this little detail here:

Next step- deck fixings.

TBC...

Hi Siara. Still continuing my research on the under the deck piping, it looks like I came across your other piping this morning. They look like they are part of the oil venting system ;D

« Last Edit: 24 Jan , 2009, 12:56 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #67 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 12:54 »
Thank you guys for your continuous support! ;)

More details. Not much left to be done.

Some hatches, and steel plates were added to the sides:

TBC....

Access hatches for side and top valves (Red) ;D

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #68 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 14:12 »
Hi Simon, the drawings are looking very, very nice!  I'll bet it takes some time doing the detail work.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #69 on: 24 Jan , 2009, 22:06 »
Hi Simon, the drawings are looking very, very nice!  I'll bet it takes some time doing the detail work.

I have spent approximately 70 hours drawing and researching just for the networks of pipes under the deck ;D I am hoping to have able an full set of working plans in one or two weeks that peolpe can download. The drawing will mapped all the pipes, hatch openings etc
« Last Edit: 25 Jan , 2009, 03:20 by NZSnowman »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 03:15 »
I noted what a few people over the last few weeks have been putting hinges on the deck hatches. So, this morning I decide I should check my deck hatches on my drawing. I noted some of my hatches and hinges did not match. So today I did some research on some good pictures I have of decks of U-249 (VIIC) and U-1023 & U-1109 (VIIC/41). Below this the bow hatch covers layout including hinges and opening side. Arrow point to opening side, flat end of arrow show hinge side. This is possibly the standard layout of the bow hatches on late VIIC and VIIC/41.

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #71 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 14:16 »
I noted what a few people over the last few weeks have been putting hinges on the deck hatches. So, this morning I decide I should check my deck hatches on my drawing. I noted some of my hatches and hinges did not match. So today I did some research on some good pictures I have of decks of U-249 (VIIC) and U-1023 & U-1109 (VIIC/41). Below this the bow hatch covers layout including hinges and opening side. Arrow point to opening side, flat end of arrow show hinge side. This is possibly the standard layout of the bow hatches on late VIIC and VIIC/41.

Nice work on the hatch hinges Simon!  Of course I realize that I placed the hinges on the wrong side of the hatch that is furthest from the bow now. Nooooo!  ;D

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #72 on: 27 Jan , 2009, 16:13 »
Does anyone know the attachment location on the deck for the Radio Aerial wire to the stern? On U-boat plans they show the wires attaching to just inside the deck edge (A) and all photographs I seen show the wires attaching to the edge of the deck (B). Which is correct?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #73 on: 28 Jan , 2009, 00:38 »
I have located the deck vent for the Bow Driving Tank and the Stern main buoyancy tank but I can't found the deck vent for Stern Driving Tank. Do it have a deck vent? I don't have any picture of the stern to check this and I can

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: 28 Jan , 2009, 12:27 »
Hi Simon,

Position A for the radio aerial wire. VERY nice drawings!

Cheers,

Dougie