Author Topic: Type VIIC's PDF Drawing  (Read 10845 times)

TopherVIIC

Re: Type VIIC's PDF Drawing
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr , 2012, 18:07 »
... but the recessed in the floor plating in the port side is for the hinge of access hatch between the pressure hill and the conning tower casting. ..
Simon - That is what I meant. Thanks

... Christopher, I was wondering that the redrawing like in Adobe Reader on your computer, is it too slow?

Simon,
My machine is an older Mac G5 2 GIG dual core. It is not as fast as some modern machines, but it is strong enough for what I do. I have two monitors, and 3 GIGs of ram. I am not upset by the time delay made by your file, but I understand it is a very big file. The delay is not unreasonable to me. I will time it the next time I open it and tell you how long it takes on this former powerhouse. :-)
Christopher

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr , 2012, 06:09 »
Computers are like subs and any tech. It's surprising how solid and reliable and useful "older" tech is, and yet of course, the latest cutting edge tech can be like Star Trek tech compared to cavemen.

I just bought a real live 1883 key-wind pocket watch. It still works. (I have to spend a small fortune having it dissassembled and cleaned, but...) It is a lovely piece of history and tech. Sure, it doesn't display 100 time zones to the fraction of a second like my phone or computer, and it weighs a ton and is thicker than your average pocket watch, but it works and is stylish and very cool.

Old Man ramblings...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr , 2013, 22:16 »
This summer I was able to add a large number of new things and updates (listed below) to my U-1308 drawing.

There are now over 61,000 objects in this dorsal view and this is reveal in the size of the PFD file which has grown to over 22MB :( Significant changes between this version and the previous are: the wooden deck, bridge/Wintergarten and the piping around the engine room.

A reminder about this PDF document, it contains different layers to make viewing easier. These layers can be view all together or separately by selecting or deselecting layers within Adobe Reader. To best view the drawing, it is best to select only the layers that you want to see, another the drawing can become very hard to view.

Happy view
Simon

Download Link

PDF Version (22MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?yi20cy9p47wfgb7

Zip Version (10MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?rb1bc3yvy9zhb3d

Version 0.4 ~ 24 April 2012

● Added missing pressures hull markings.
● Added missing labels for the Conning Tower Casting.
● Added missing valve in the inlet Schnorchel piping.
● Added deck hatches.
     ● Stern Torpedo Loading
     ● Galley
     ● Exhaust
     ● Exhaust Outlet Control Valve
     ● Mid section access
     ● Fuel Oil
     ● Main Vent Access
     ● Engine Lubricating Oil hatches.
● Added rear Casting Bollards.
● Added High Pressure Air Lines for Bank 6.
● Tweaked alignment of the stern steel plating.
● Tweaked alignment of the saddle tanks.
● Tweaked alignment of the Fuel Oil and Engine piping.
● Tweaked alignment of the Low pressure exhaust gas and emergency blowing systems.
● Tweaked alignment of the Main exhaust gas blow valve
● Corrected the smaller metal deck access hatches.
● Increase compass access opening.
● Updated Interconnector MB & ROL Tank 2
     ● Corrected pipe alignment.
     ● Corrected Saddle Tank openings.
     ● Revise Emergency vent valves to match correct valves type.
     ● Added more detail to Vent valves, main ballast and reserve fuel oil tanks.
     ● Corrected pipe alignment.
     ● Added pipe colour to the first section of piping only.
● Updated Exhaust System.
     ● Reduce the number and size of bolts on the pipe flanges.
     ● Increase size of the pipes over the muffler exhaust valves.
     ● Added locking plates to the pipe flanges.
     ● Added Grease Distributors.
     ● Added control linkage for Exhaust valves and grinders.
     ● Added late war Exhaust outlets.
     ● Tweaked alignment of Exhaust outlet pressure hull openings.
     ● Tweaked alignment of Exhaust outlet valves.
     ● Added Muffler Exhaust Valve.
● Added aft section of Fuel oil compensating system
« Last Edit: 21 Oct , 2013, 15:37 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr , 2013, 23:46 »
Simon.
Impressive! I hope people realize the amount of work and drawingskills it takes to produce these very detailed drawings. Well done.
Tore

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr , 2013, 00:11 »
A M A Z I N G ! ! !

Offline Johann Vilthomsen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 24 Apr , 2013, 02:42 »
Wonderful job, Simon

TopherVIIC

« Reply #21 on: 24 Apr , 2013, 09:31 »
Outstanding as always, Simon.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #22 on: 04 Mar , 2016, 17:16 »
After nearly 3 years (2 years, 10 months, 1 week and 3 days) I was able to update my dorsal view of my Type VIIC/41. The file size has continued to grow, plus the redraw time is getting slower and slower. As a result of is, I have removed the bridge and Wintergarten from this version to assist with this problem.

I have lost the change log for this version, nevertheless, I would say there are nearly one hundred changes between versions 5 and 4, that include new additions, tweaked alignments, updates and adjustments. The biggest change between this version and version 4 is the addition of extremely rare detail added to the drawing. This extremely rare detail was the result of two years of research I carry out and the combined effort of the U-boat community.

As with all my drawings and 3-D models they are based primarily on original German measurements and secondly on wartime photographs. Colours are also based on original standard Kriegsmarine paints colours. Colours include Blaugrau 58/1 (A medium to dark grey with a hint of blue) & Blauschwarz 58/2 (A very dark blue).

A reminder about this PDF document, it contains different layers to make viewing easier. These layers can be viewed together or separately by selecting or deselecting layers within Adobe Reader.

Download Link (27MB PDF file)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e1tq12r1ry53r1t/WorkingDrawingV05.pdf

Here an interesting stat on the number of downloads of this drawing.
Version 1 was downloaded 36 times.
Version 2 was downloaded 133 times.
Version 3 was downloaded 744 times.
And version 4 was downloaded 959 times.

Happy viewing
Simon.

« Last Edit: 04 Mar , 2016, 17:20 by NZSnowman »

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #23 on: 05 Mar , 2016, 01:22 »
Simon .
As always, first class Simon. Come to think about a small detail, we are saying the floodgates are the fingerprint of the Uboat. As to the bow, one small detail is seldom mentioned, the flood gates of the forepeak. Between the fwd. buoyancy tank and the bow is a small forepeak as can be seen on my image below. This forepeak has floodgates in the bottom clearly seen on the bowcasing. Some modelbuilders are assuming these floodgates are identical on port and stb side, however there are two on the stb side and three on the port.
Tore

Morog

« Reply #24 on: 05 Mar , 2016, 08:40 »
Hi Simon,

very big respect for your drawing work! And thaks alot for sharing this amazing drawings. I do anly a little in CAD and I know how much time such drawings need. Again: Maximum respect!

regards

Sascha

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #25 on: 02 Nov , 2016, 15:10 »
While working on my next version of the decking and piping I have noted a few errors in my Working Drawing version 5. They are listed below.

• The Access hatch to Main ballast and reserve fuel oil Tank 2 hatch and opening - Should be 500 mm aft from its current position.
  • The Exhaust Gas Blowing valve access hatch - Should be 500 mm aft from its current position. Similarly, the valve below the deck should be moved 500 mm.