Author Topic: Bollards  (Read 1166 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Bollards
« on: 17 Jul , 2017, 07:32 »
On the Type IXC/40, were the various pairs of bollards individually extendable, or did ALL of them extend/retract together?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Bollards
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul , 2017, 10:06 »
Does anyone know?

I need to know if some bollard pairs can be extended, other pairs retracted.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul , 2017, 15:12 »
Hello Glenn,

As you know, each bollard set had two individual bollards each. I have seen one photo of a bollard set on an unidentified U-boat (not U 190) which has one bollard extended and the other retracted. However, this is very unusual. In every other photo the set would either have both bollards in the set either retracted or both extended.

The IXC/40s like U 190 had five bollard sets -

A - centrally at the bow
B - centrally on the forward deck
C - aft deck, starboard side
D - aft deck, port side
E - centrally at the stern

Usually when in port they would all be extended (A, B, C, D and E). Indeed a few photos of U 190 show this arrangement with them all extended.

But this did not happen every time. I think there is one photo of U 190 in which bollard set D was retracted and all the rest extended.

I would go with all the bollard extended for your U 190 build. By the way, when are you depicting the boat? Is it before or after repainting by the Canadians?

Cheers,

Dougie

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul , 2017, 10:10 »
Thank you, Dougie.  :D

I plan to depict the boat as it was surrendered to RCN.  As per the famous picture, the DKM flag + White Ensign will be flown from the attack periscope.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul , 2017, 12:58 »
Hi Glenn,

That will make a good model but does present challenges with weathering. As you can see from the photo, the metal on the tower sides is very heavily weathered with very poor paint adhesion. By contrast, the paint on the snort tube and tower railings has adhered to these surfaces well and is thus completely different. Normally the rule is to keep weathering subtle and resist the temptation to over-do things. With the U 190 tower paint adhesion problem you might have the opposite problem as you would really need to to town with the weathering. No wonder the RCN painted the boat!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul , 2017, 13:24 »
I'm fine with not achieving 100% historical accuracy, especially w.r.t. the weathering finish...  I'll end up doing what I do.   LOL    ;)

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca