Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 110458 times)

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec , 2011, 05:49 »
Natter, I was wondering if you know if there any external different between the T5 G7es Zaunk

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec , 2011, 10:56 »
Once again a big thanks for your help and the additional information! It

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec , 2011, 19:08 »
Natter, a big thanks for the Google SketchUp-model, it been very useful! It great to able to see it in 3D!

Also a question for you, do you know if the interior base plates were riveted or Spot welded?

Fig. 1.  Interior base plates.

Fig. 2.
  Close-up view of aft section.

Fig. 3.  Close-up view of the Mid section.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec , 2011, 19:55 »
Natter, a big thanks for the Google SketchUp-model, it been very useful! It great to able to see it in 3D!
You're welcome. Just be aware that the main focus for this model was to get the exterior correct. Most interior details are simplified and/ or omitted.

Also a question for you, do you know if the interior base plates were riveted or Spot welded?
Welded as far as I can tell (see attached photo of interior), although I don't recognize those plates from any interior photos I have... There were several changes in the construction from the initial to the final models though (I bet you could end up with at least 10 models if you want to cover all variations in terms of engines, propellers, FAT/LUT and use of materials...). Rivets might have been used early on. I can't remember seeing any signs of rivets from the outside of on any torpedoes I've been working on though.

If you don't mind some feedback, I think you need to adjust the placements for some of the plugs on your model: The window for the angle-indicator and the adjustment-spindle should be situated right above the gyroscope (GA). The overpressure-valve is pretty much correct for a torpedo with a basic GA or FAT, but for LUT-equipped torpedoes it was mounted on the port side. Also, it seems you've made the square notch in the "regtelstutzen" plug a bit too large..?

I've attached a few detail-photos (sorry - seems a couple were rotated in the process, but I reckon you can figure it out):

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jan , 2012, 09:00 »
Here is a drawing from the original german "G7a Bedienungsvorschrift".
The scan is from a poor quality print, but you might find it useful and a supplement to the drawings in the "G7a Zeichnungen".

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jan , 2012, 09:05 »
the drawings in the "G7a Zeichnungen".
I just realized i didn't post the link to the online-version of this document:
http://www.uboatarchive.net/G7A-Plans.htm

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan , 2012, 12:44 »
Hi Natter

Not sure if you see this before, a picture of a T-5 with a copper head.

http://www.pablum.webspace.virginmedia.com/gaz/rvdv.html

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan , 2012, 13:00 »
Not sure if you see this before, a picture of a T-5 with a copper head.
Hi.
Yes, I know this site - thank you. The bronze-head torpedo is a G7a (T1). The torpedo in the background is in fact a G7e T11 with a Ke head (only 38 of these were ever build, and U-534 had 3 onboard), not easy to distinguish externally from a T5 as I  mentioned before. All Ke heads were made from steel.
Here's a couple of photos from Birkenhead where the U-534 is on display (the T11 under/after restauration):
« Last Edit: 11 Jan , 2012, 13:05 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun , 2012, 11:31 »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep , 2012, 15:31 »
Hi Natter

I found some time today to make the changes you suggested. Also I added the Maschinenkammer section.

Welcome any feed back

Simon

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep , 2012, 18:13 »
I found some time today to make the changes you suggested. Also I added the Maschinenkammer section.

Welcome any feed back
Very nice indeed. It seems very accurate. I haven't access to all my photos and drawings now, but besides a couple of minor details I'd like to verify before commenting on, the only thing I'd put my finger on is the guiding-knob on the tail and the hinges for the vertical rudders. The knob shuld be pointed and the rudders are made in one piece.

I'll post some photos when I can find the time.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep , 2012, 23:43 »
Natter, how does these markings look for the G7a (T1) LUT II?

Was were any markings for the LUT I?

Was the center of gravity marking on all torpedos? 

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep , 2012, 03:09 »
Natter, how does these markings look for the G7a (T1) LUT II?
I don't know about the stripe on the rudder: The description doesn't say wether it's vertical or horisontal (I have seen vertical stripes somewhere, but I don't remember it's significance - might have been unrelated to the GA). Compared to the drawing the "L II" text should be slightly larger/bolder, but I bet this were applied differently from one arsenal to another... I reckon it's as good as you can get it, given the information at hand.

NB: Be aware that your torpedomodel is a standard T1 without Fat or Lut, so it's not correct with "L II" markings on it..!

Btw: The screws for the head seems different from the screws joining the aft-section and the airtank (hard to tell from the low res. image)?

Was were any markings for the LUT I?
I have not seen any reference to it, but I assume it was (maybe similar to the TIII - ref. the merkblatt I posted earlier).

Was the center of gravity marking on all torpedos?
Probably not... I have seen lot of photos showing no markings. I have not seen any documents with guidelines for this, and have no idea if there was a certain colour to be used.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep , 2012, 03:31 »
the only thing I'd put my finger on is the guiding-knob on the tail and the hinges for the vertical rudders. The knob should be pointed and the rudders are made in one piece.
Here are photos of the guiding knob on the tail (unpainted steel) and a close up of the vertical rudder.

Also, I noticed your hinge for the vertical rudder-transmission (see attached photo): The only place I have seen this is on the german post-war (ie Bundesmarine) DM11 (ex. G7a) torpedoes. I have no documentation to prove it, but my bet it's a post-war modification.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep , 2012, 14:05 »
Hi Natter

How do those Pistols look like, Natter?

Pi1

Pi2

Pi3