Author Topic: Forward crew section VII / 3D model / 1/72  (Read 43376 times)

Offline tore

• Tore
Re: Design the interior of the VII/c
« Reply #15 on: 07 Feb , 2012, 13:31 »
cheers,

here is a brief update, not really much, but i managed to assemble first test parts. these are designed paper-thin, and will be developed and printed onto cardstock, testglued and check for fit.
here is the front section:

these are only main outlines, floor is much too outwards comparing to CMK's sets, finer adjustments will be made after test assembly.

now i have an issue, CMK designed torpedo sections floor around 2.5 mm lower than the command compartment, the rest line up with command compartment within a minimal deviation. Was that in the actual U-boat too? Could the front crew compartment floor be sloped or inserted with a slight "step" between each rib? This design was lined up with the command compartment and has 2mm step when passing to fwd torpedo room. Any advices?

regards,
Marko
Marko
 The floorhigths in relation to the controlroomfloor varies in each compartment. Going from the CR and fwd. COs quarter,Wardroom and CPO mess floor all a little bit higher, forwd torpedoroom is substantial lower.
Tore

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #16 on: 07 Feb , 2012, 13:53 »
Further to my earlier post. As far as I remember it was two steps down( appr 35-40 cm) from the CPO mess to the fwd torpedoroom floor. I believe the floor in the torpedoroom accommodation section was not sloped in any way. Between the tubes I don`t remember.
Tore

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #17 on: 09 Feb , 2012, 13:30 »
OOOh, now those steps downwards explains a lot of troubles with aligning. Many thanks on that information.

Well, i assembled the pieces together and i am not satisfied with the fit of the parts, i will do another tracings, since if i don't get the outlines perfect, the rest wont fit as well.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #18 on: 09 Feb , 2012, 14:04 »

Marko,
This should help illustrate the difference in deck height that Tore was telling you about.
The deck in the torpedo room of a Type VIIC and a VIIC41 is indeed lower than the deck in the CPO berthing/mess section.
Actually the deck I indicated is a removable deck. Torpedos are stored in chocks below it. Torpedoes could be stored above also,
with a false plywood deck over them to be just about the level of the lower bunks.
Note that the hatch is raised above both decks so in any case one had to raise their feet to get through from either direction.

Hope that helps a little! :-)
Keep up the research!
Christopher
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2012, 17:51 by TopherVIIC »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb , 2012, 04:24 »
hello Christopher,

many thanks for the blueprint image. May i ask from what literature you took it?

Marko

TopherVIIC

« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb , 2012, 05:29 »
Marko - That one is one of the K
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2012, 17:50 by TopherVIIC »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #21 on: 29 Feb , 2012, 16:06 »
Thank you Christopher,

(also on the information where i can find a set of plans), will get them as soon as i find some extra funds for modeling :)
well, progress is slow, test assembly showed some mistakes in the outline, second test is on its way, as soon as i solve technical difficulties with printer.

In the meantime, im working with bits and pieces whenever i have some spare time, here is the newest result, has bit less details than CMK's part, but thats only due the technical limitations, tiny bits and pieces can be added by scratching some of the fiddliest parts.

note, i didn't draw a series of cells, since this can be done in sub-assembly, and later on stacked simply together.

regards,
Marko
« Last Edit: 29 Feb , 2012, 16:11 by Marko »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar , 2012, 10:19 »
Hello guys,

for the past week i have been refining the cross sections to assure the best fit possible. This is what i came across till now. Note, the part seems a bit "wavy" since i used 120g/m^2 paper, so the variety of factors cant get it straight. The design was slightly under measured ti assure good fit (-0.5mm), final touch ups will be required at assembly either ways. Now i finally got the frame of the forward sections within i can work in.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar , 2012, 08:49 »
Marko -
These pages might be of use to you:
http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/intecnico.htm

If you dig around on the entire site, you will find gobs of great information that may prove useful to you.
Your drawings are coming along! Keep up the study!
Cheers
Christopher
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2012, 17:49 by TopherVIIC »

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar , 2012, 14:46 »
Thank you for the additional resources Christopher, will have to browse that page, though spanish is really not my language, will do my best.

here is minor update, i made finally some solids out of those bits and pieces, some are not in scale, but i did my measurements around CMK's parts to assure consistency. There is a lot more work to be done, but now i finally can get feeling how the thing could look like. On the picture i left the pieces webbed and not shaded, so the depth of the parts would be more apparent.

regards,
Marko

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar , 2012, 11:25 »
well, some progress. I thought it would be wise to add toilette and sink, which are a bit fictional, since dimensions wont allow accurate presentation. Doors have been removed, those will be glued on opened i guess.. :)
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2012, 11:30 by Marko »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar , 2012, 14:28 »
Marko,
It is always challenging to adapt someone elses engineering to different projects. The engineers at Ravell made their model in the way they did as it suited their manufacturing needs. I am sure the last thing they ever planned was somebody coming in with dremel tool a-flying to create cut-away ships.
You are doing a fine job. Keep an eye on the details, have fun, and keep us posted!
Cheers!
« Last Edit: 13 Mar , 2012, 17:29 by TopherVIIC »

TopherVIIC

« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar , 2012, 17:56 »
Marko -
Made changes in this forum and in my brain housing group to be able to spell your name right. I am so sorry I have been spelling it wrong! Talk about details!
 Cheers!

Offline Marko

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar , 2012, 00:52 »
Oh, no problem, many people get confused about that :)

After i have drawn first set of bunks, i noticed that the toilette's front wall should be aligned with the rear bunk portion.

So basically i scrapped almost whole yesterdays work, have redrawn the rear wall and roof of the crew quarters, also the toilet can get better measures now. Will post new photos after work, i just could not justify to post them yesterday, since i lost sense of time in the evening, and when i decided to pulled the plug for a day was suddenly 2:45 am. Not a pleasant view when you have to  get up at 6:30 :)

regards,
Marko

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #29 on: 14 Mar , 2012, 01:28 »
Marko
Interesting progress. I don`t know how many details you would put in this area,but here are a few. Of course you have noticed the pressurebulkhead towards  the controlroom was concave looking from the wardroom and hence the the bulkhead pressurehatchdoor was fitted on a tuberim to provide a seating. The curvature of the hatch was a bit different and the circumference a slotted rim for the lockingring.
The door for the toilet was hinged to the rigth (forward) and had a small (10-15 cm diam) sightglass a little off center in the upper part. The toilet had,for a layman, an intricate bundle of pipes,handles and valves to operate. It created difficult situations in having guests onboard, like on coctailparties, it was not easy for the guests and particulary women to operate the handles. Wrong sequence in opening and shutting could lead to "blowbacks". Looking forward to your next step.
Tore
« Last Edit: 14 Mar , 2012, 05:46 by tore »