Author Topic: VII C 42 or Flak trap?  (Read 3500 times)

Offline falo

• Admiral
VII C 42 or Flak trap?
« on: 14 Oct , 2014, 15:44 »
Hi Gents,

your advice is needed: Is this boat type the flak trap or a "What if" kit of the VII C/42, the follower of the typeseven/41? AFAIK the type VII C/42 was planned but never produced. Instead of this boat type the germans developed and produced the type XXI.

http://plastic-models-store.com/German-U-boat-type-VII-C-special-version-Submarine-WWII-1-350-Flagman-235022-693.html

Regards
falo

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Re: VII C 42 or Flak trap?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct , 2014, 03:29 »
Hi falo

according to the instructions it makes 3 different models,
U 441 or U 673 flak traps, or a VIIC/41 Biber carrier, this would be the U 295 although they do not mention a number.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct , 2014, 10:42 »
Interesting!!!     I would like to get a few of those models.

There were 4 "U-Flak" boats made:  U-441, U-256, U-621, and U-953.   
http://www.uboat.net/types/u-flak.htm
Those were the ones with the forward AA platform, and the full CT 'fairing' around it to make them more dynamic.

U-673 was an experimental "flak-trap" VIIC that had a rudimentary forward AA platform welded to the front of the CT, but no wrap-around fairing.  It proved unsuccessful, and was returned to a regular VIIC.

Having just built a Biber model, I read about a VIIC that was used to ferry about 6 of them to somewhere for an attack.  However, all the Bibers developed leaks from the way they were transported (likely vibrations from VIIC).

All to say... I have no point here, just sharing some info!   LOL
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct , 2014, 12:06 »
Hi Cap, hi Glenn,

thought I found the legendary and later canceled VII C/42 design by hazard.

Thanks for the informations Gentlemen
Regards
Falo

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct , 2014, 13:39 »
Hi Glen, Hi falo,

U 295, U 318 and U 716 were used in the attempted attack on Vaenga Bay each carrying 2 Bibers, one on the fore deck, one on the aft. Whilst Wiki claims that the attack was called off due to water ingress caused by vibration from the Type VIIs, with a test depth of only 20m it is more than likely that they exceeded that which wouldn't have help their water-tightness. Sorry falo no C/42.

Regards,
Jon
« Last Edit: 16 Oct , 2014, 17:33 by Capt Kremin »
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct , 2014, 05:39 »
Hi Cap

this is disappointing but my search will go on  ;-)
Maybe a lot of room for a "what-if"-project based on VII C/41 Revell kit?

Regards
falo
« Last Edit: 16 Oct , 2014, 08:02 by falo »

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct , 2014, 17:31 »
Hi falo,

The problem with the /42 specs is it is bigger in all dimensions, IIRC around 1.2m in length and 0.4m in beam and height, the length in 1:72 would be relatively easy to solve by adding a total of 16.6mm in one or more sections, for accuracy you would need to add around 5.5mm to the beam, not so easy, as this in design was an increase in the pressure hull's diameter, although at 2.75mm each side you enter my argument for building a IXC/40 fom the Revell U 505, unless you vernier it you would not notice. The tower would be of the term IV style, both periscopes were to be in the tower rather than one in the control room, as the VIIs had up until then, but I don't think that you would need to use the U 505's tower as that would need a change to the pressure hull tower rather than the external term design. The other major changes would be the lower platform AA weaponry. Originally designed with 2cm quad vierling, it would have probably been upgraded to a single or twin 3.7cm M42 or M43 and the radar/radar detection equipment would need to be upgraded.
The cheats way, (no such thing in modelling) in my mind would be to choose a type VIIc model in a smaller scale, (1:350/1.400, maybe even the Revell 1:144 VIIC/41, which I know is over sized in length, never measured the models beam and not at home right now) which is already overscale in it's beam.
To quote a former president - we choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Regards,
Jon
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct , 2014, 00:01 »
Hi Cap,

referring to your information, I think it would be better to start a scratch built and use some parts from the aftermarket part than the Revell kit.

Good quote from Kennedy even if he had more the manned spaceflight in mind  ;-)

Thanks for the information and regards
falo