Author Topic: Type XIV Milchkuw ("Milk Cow")  (Read 2285 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Type XIV Milchkuw ("Milk Cow")
« on: 28 Oct , 2013, 13:26 »
Does anyone make a kit or a conversion to make a Milk Cow?

From what I read, it is a type XIV which is a converted Type IXd.   (How close is that to the new Revell Type IXc ?)

Anyone?  Anyone?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline DerXL

• Ensign
    • My personal website
Re: Type XIV Milchkuw ("Milk Cow")
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct , 2013, 13:34 »
Hi Glenn

The type XIV is indeed referred to as the "Milk cow". But I'm not sure it is a converted type IXD, to be honest.

At first I thought that the type XIV must have been derived from the type VIIC. That opinion was mainly based on the lengths of the U-boats I looked up on uboat.net. The length of the type XIV is identical to the length of the type VIIC, not the type IXD (which is actually 20 meters longer).

Not completely satisfied I looked it up in the book on U-tankers from Axel Urbanke and there it actually reads that the design of the type XIV was indeed based on the design of the type IX boats.
Note however that the U-tankers were shorter (9.4 meters) and considerably wider (3 meters) than the type IX(C).

Sounds like a whole lot af scratchbuilding to get from a type IX to a type XIV. On the other hand, who would ever have thought that Revell would be releasing a type IX in 1/72? Who know that somewhere in the future they might even release a type XIV? Hope never dies, as they say...

But if you're impatient, I'm sure you'd be able to make a type XIV from a type IXC looking at your scratchbuilding skills !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Axel

Offline dbauer

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan , 2014, 18:45 »
HI!
The Type XIV was an intirely different boat than either the  Type VII or a Type IX.  An interesting project however. It only took them 10-20 years to get a 1/72 Type IX out. Never say never on a 1/72 "Milk Cow" !!
Regards,
Dan

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr , 2014, 07:52 »
A "Milk Cow' would be an interesting build in 1/72 scale. Hope someone does something in the next few years.
As a scratch building project there would be a lot to it.

Almost might be better to start off without a kit or ??

What do you folks think?

Later Tim

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr , 2014, 19:04 »
I'd modify a kit. The modpart s enough work, you don't need to do all the extra hard stuff!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr , 2014, 07:19 »
Hope that Revell of Germany or someone makes a kit for the "milk Cow" someday. Hope

Later Tim