Author Topic: 1/400 U-48 WIP  (Read 11410 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
1/400 U-48 WIP
« on: 09 Nov , 2011, 16:14 »
Hi!
some WIP, the 20mm gun.
I used WEM PE as a base which served as a template for the main body of the gun. The rest of it was superdetailed w 0.13mm styrene, stretched sprue, 0.13mm copper wire and pieces of super-thin 1/700 PE railings from L'Arsenal (a propos, I wish to thank Mr Druel at L'Arsenal for the quality of his products and for being so kind and sharp w the shipments).
The 21 (!) pieces were assembled mainly w CA and there are also two welds. YES, micro-soldering is feasible and am grateful to Glenn Cauley (and indirectly to Siara) for opening my eyes on the matter and sharing his excellent technique, which proved to work even for the smaller scale.
Building work on my U-48 goes on slo-mo due to hospital work and some "technical problems":it had taken me nearly a month to build almost completely the first AA gun when it flew-off (while I was handling it with tweezers-aargh!!) and was never to be found again... i had to start all over again and here's the result. 
Suggestions, critics and tips are more than welcome!
SG

Unfortunately the "phi-shaped" aiming device in the foreground is barely visible in the pic and confounds with the top of the gun also made w "much" thicker stretched sprue. it's made of super-thin stretched sprue glued w tamya cement and was really painful to assemble and glue to the gun's L-support ;D

"The Three Amigos" (from L to R): WEM PE, my AAgun and the one by Mirage Hobby

« Last Edit: 05 Jul , 2013, 04:37 by SG »

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: 1/400 U-48 WIP
« Reply #1 on: 09 Nov , 2011, 17:55 »
It's look a little small ;)

WOW... Great work!!!

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 09 Nov , 2011, 23:07 »
Tiiiiiny! ;D Thx NZ!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov , 2011, 01:05 »
WOW! Really can't use that word enough. It's a good amount of detail, and then look at the scale, that kicks it to amazing! MUCH better than either the PE flat one, or the kit. Worth the effort for the results.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov , 2011, 01:57 »
Simply superb work SG. :o  The quality is beyond words really.  My compliments.

Ernest

Nevermind4712

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov , 2011, 05:52 »
Uff,..this is small, very small,..if i get the half of this Quality in 1/72,..im happy :-\

Really good Work!!:)

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov , 2011, 10:46 »
And what do you do for living? I

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov , 2011, 10:22 »
Thank you very much Gentlemen, your comments are a big morale booster..and yes, am a surgeon though not a "micro"-surgeon!  ;D
Thanks again, next WIP posting ASAP
SG
« Last Edit: 12 Nov , 2011, 10:24 by SG »

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jul , 2015, 12:35 »
Hi, several years have passed since i last posted on this thread. Am happy to report that work goes on slooowly at the U48 shipyard, I hope to be able to complete the 8.8 cm gun by the end of 2015. The gun has proved so far to be a hard nut to crack, "a model in a model" actually. Hectic work and a nasty heatwave hitting the country these days have recently caused another temporary stop of my project.
I did some research instead. One of the less clear aspects of U48 when the boat sported the lateral air trunks is represented by the turret handrails and grip handles pattern. I have been collecting quite a number of pictures to compose the handrails puzzle over the years (unfortunately there's no picture of U48 turret sides showing a clear/entire view of the handrails) but it's only recently that i managed to clarify what I think the handrails' pattern looked like, after a careful study of the turret details of U48's sister boats: U47 and U46.
The picture below summarizes the main handrails features of the three boats: while U47 had an uninterrupted handrail running along the entire turret side and below the trunk, U48 and U46 had three distinct  handrails sections (which I named "fore"-section,"trunk"-section and "after"-section) set on different levels: "fore-" and "after-"sections ran very close to the turret sides and ended into the trunk's fore and after margins with an upward curve, while the "air trunk-"section contoured the outer edge of the trunk. The details of the after-section (arrows) in U48 are very difficult to verify due to poorly defined pictures showing the boat sides and because of shots missing the after turret-sides. I recently came across a picture of U46 at the time when she sported the lateral trunks and the mystery was finally solved.

[/I have modified a great artwork by Dougie, drawing what i think U48's handrails pattern looked like. "Fore-" and "after-" sections in red, "trunk-section" and grip handles in light blue. The  two grip handles on the lateral air trunk side were similar to U47 ones: the lower one consisted of a metallic step next to a slot made into the trunk itself. The U46 picture doesn't seem to show any grip handle nor slots on the air trunk side but i might be wrong.

Please, let me know if you agree with my conclusions. If you own any detailed picture of U48 turret sides (lateral air trunk configuration) showing the handrails don't hesitate to let me know: it would be a blessed help.
Cheers
SG       
« Last Edit: 17 Aug , 2015, 02:35 by SG »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul , 2015, 21:34 »
Glad you are back on the project. You've done a lot of esearch1 Hopefully Dougie knows...
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul , 2015, 05:10 »
Hi SG,

I think you have got all the details correct. It would be nice to get perfect photos but, yes, I think you are right.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul , 2015, 11:50 »
Thanks to both of you for stopping by. Am glad that my conclusions make sense Dougie!
Cheers,
SG

Offline TristanR

• Lieutenant (jg)
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug , 2015, 12:46 »
HI SG, this is some impressively small work here!

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug , 2015, 02:32 »
 ;D  Thank you! Am working on the 8.8 cm gun now which is driving me nuts.

« Last Edit: 17 Aug , 2015, 02:55 by SG »

Offline SG

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov , 2015, 08:25 »
Hi, i've been going through many pictures of the 8.8 gun lately (yes, am still working on the gun as you can obviously guess ;D ) and found that U48 gun pedestal probably had one (?drain) hole in its starboard/aft part. At first i thought it might have been a shadow projected by the circular opening in the above-located pedestal fairing, but carefully examining the pictures i found that the "shadow" has a lighter rim (picture below, bottom left), which makes it a hole. The picture below is a composition of images of U48 and in the left ones the (?)hole can be seen clearly

I tried to verify if the hole was single or part of a pattern of three holes (2 posterior left and right, 1 anterior central) just like in the openings of the C 30/37 mount for the 2 cm Flak 30 gun, but found no evidence of it in U48; I therefore hunted for pictures showing the after part of the pedestal and the result is somewhat puzzling: most of the boats don't seem to sport any opening in that part of their gun pedestal, only U 570 (picture below, top Left) seem to show the hole/shadow, while the "naked" pedestal on the top Right of the composition below has none. What astonished me is that i found another picture (image below, bottom, central pic) which shows a faint, circular outline in that very same area (red arrow). I therefore speculated the existence of some sort of plug for a possible drain hole which maybe had gone missing on U 48.

Too much imagination? maybe. What do you think about that? are you aware of any opening in that part of the pedestal or have pictures showing it? Let me know, am very curious to know
Thank you
« Last Edit: 18 Nov , 2015, 08:36 by SG »