Author Topic: German Torpedo Color?  (Read 111101 times)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: German Torpedo Color?
« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 23:35 »
I am trying to work out the different between the Pi3 and the Pi1 & Pi2.
Does the Pi3 have a collar around the pistol?
Pi1 is a mechanical only (ie impact) pistol. Pi2 and Pi3 is a combined mechanical and magnetic pistol. Here is a link to the US Mine-disposal manual from 1945, where you'll find photo/drawings and descriptions (check chapter 3):
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/minedisposal/index.htm#part4

I have more info, but have a look there first - I guess you'll find your answers :-)

Thanks Natter, great link :) :)

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #46 on: 30 Dec , 2012, 23:36 »
Just want to check, did the G7e/T3, G7e/T4 Falke, G7es and the T11 all used the same propeller/propulsion/fins section as the G7e/T2?

Or were the small changes in the fins setup etc.. between each type? I had a look at a few photos of the T11 and it looks the same.
I'm no expert on the G7e variants, but as far as I know, they all had the same aft- and tail section (of course, the internal devices like the gyroscope etc. could vary).

Note that the Lut-torpedoes did have expandable vertical rudders to avoid the torpedo rolling over in turns, thus getting off course ("ausschiebbaren vertikalflossen") - see attached photo.

I have some close-ups of these rudders as well (I need to search for them in my rather complex folder-structure though...)

If you found the close-ups, I would love to see them, So I can add this detail.

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #47 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 15:03 »
Here are some:
« Last Edit: 01 Jan , 2013, 15:04 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #48 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 15:07 »
Great to hear from you! Thanks for the information.
Pi1
Link to a zip with some more photos and drawings I made for another guy:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38692668/Pi1.zip

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #49 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 15:12 »
Early War
G7a T1 Lut II, Ka, Pi1 Kurz
G7a T1,Lut II, Ka, Pi1 Lang
Late War
G7a T1 Lut II, Ka, Pi1 Kurz
G7a T1,Lut II, Ka, Pi1 Lang
I get the point with early/late war, but just for the record:
"Early" versions might have been used throughout the war.
I don't remember now when Lut II was fielded, but certainly not early in the war. Torpedoes could not (without major rebuild, which I doubt was ever done) be retrofitted with Fat and Lut - they were designed with these features from the production.
Also, warheads might have been a mix of early/late productions (externally, it would also be hard to distinguish Ka, Ka1, Ka2, Kb and Kb1 heads: The type was often painted within a circle on the front part of the head).
« Last Edit: 01 Jan , 2013, 15:16 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #50 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 15:23 »
The type was often painted within a circle on the front part of the head).

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #51 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 16:36 »
Great to hear from you! Thanks for the information.
Pi1
Link to a zip with some more photos and drawings I made for another guy:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38692668/Pi1.zip

Again many thanks for your help, Natter!

The new pictures, drawings and information were very helpful. I was able to increase that accurate of my drawing, and the measurement were great to scale the drawing accurately.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #52 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 17:05 »
Just want to check, did the G7e/T3, G7e/T4 Falke, G7es and the T11 all used the same propeller/propulsion/fins section as the G7e/T2?

Or were the small changes in the fins setup etc.. between each type? I had a look at a few photos of the T11 and it looks the same.
I'm no expert on the G7e variants, but as far as I know, they all had the same aft- and tail section (of course, the internal devices like the gyroscope etc. could vary).

Note that the Lut-torpedoes did have expandable vertical rudders to avoid the torpedo rolling over in turns, thus getting off course ("ausschiebbaren vertikalflossen") - see attached photo.

I have some close-ups of these rudders as well (I need to search for them in my rather complex folder-structure though...)

Natter, I imagine that the G7e/TIII Fat II also used this expandable vertical rudders?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #53 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 17:06 »
Here are some:

Natter, Thanks for the extra pictures!

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #54 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 17:34 »
Natter, I imagine that the G7e/TIII Fat II also used this expandable vertical rudders?
I have not seen any info on these rudders other than on Lut-torpedoes, so I can't tell for sure. I believe the Lut-program was more sensitive to the sharp turns though, so it's possible this measure was only for Lut.

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #55 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 18:59 »
I have not seen any info on these rudders other than on Lut-torpedoes, so I can't tell for sure. I believe the Lut-program was more sensitive to the sharp turns though, so it's possible this measure was only for Lut.

I imagine for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes that they used the same tail section as for Lut G7e torpedoes, and the only different being that the safety locking pin was kept in place for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes?

Looking at that photo's, was there a small piston that extend to keep the fins extended outward, is this correct?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #56 on: 01 Jan , 2013, 20:02 »
Natter, below is a link to a PDF verson of the G7a drawings to download. You will be able to zoom in/out on the drawings.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3ug1zgdoqqxvfow
« Last Edit: 01 Jan , 2013, 20:07 by NZSnowman »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #57 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 05:02 »
I imagine for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes that they used the same tail section as for Lut G7e torpedoes, and the only different being that the safety locking pin was kept in place for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes?
No. Different vertical fins (see attached photos of the "normal G7e fins). The expandable rudder is a sort of "sleeve" fitting outside the fixed rudder. The fixed rudder is also different, as it has the guiding slots for the pins in the expandable part.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan , 2013, 05:12 by Natter »

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #58 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 05:10 »
the only different being that the safety locking pin was kept in place for the non-Lut G7e torpedoes?
I'm not sure what you mean with "safety locking pin"? If you refer to the pin on the aft part of the rudder, this is a guiding pin for the expandable rudder (fits in a slot in the fixed rudder - same with the pin fastened to the pneumatic sylinder).

Looking at that photo's, was there a small piston that extend to keep the fins extended outward, is this correct?
Yes, this is a pneumatic cylinder controlled by the gyroscope, extending the rudder when the torpedo turns, to avoid the torpedo pitching and waving off course, due to the depthrudders becoming side-rudders vice versa).

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #59 on: 02 Jan , 2013, 05:15 »
Looking through photos, I just now realized that the TXI torpedo preserved in UK is equipped with the expandable rudders. No photos of the TV torpedoes (wartime + U-505 collection) shows the same. Wether the TXI had a Lut-program as backup for the acoustic control I don't know (doesn't seem likely). I guess it's possible they decided to incorporate this as a measure to make the TXI more "agile" than the TV though, or perhaps the british simply used a standard aft-section in the restoration of the TXI.