Author Topic: USS Silversides SS-236  (Read 51006 times)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: USS Silversides SS-236
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jun , 2008, 02:33 »
No worries, mate, that's what we're here for.

Note that the torp doors ("shutters" in tech talk") are the late war style with the square rebates, unlike the older ovals. (I know you're working on the anchor, but thought I'd mention it just in case).
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jul , 2008, 18:50 »
I started work on the sail. I have a pointy back from IBS that I'm trying to incorporate. First time trying something this major, we'll see how it goes.

« Last Edit: 07 Jul , 2008, 18:53 by wildspear »

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 11 Jul , 2008, 00:00 »
great!!

a building report is started! with pictures! :o
very keen to see Your work!

Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: 11 Jul , 2008, 23:35 »
Looks like an excellent start, has all you need - plannign and execution. It's a real thing now, taking shape!

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #34 on: 12 Jul , 2008, 13:07 »
Had a mishap the other day,  seems the putty I'm using doesn't like the sheet styren(bad spelling) that I have. Had a bit of a buckle and I'll have to sand that out. I should have more pics of the sail tomorrow night, darn work getting in the way of important things.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jul , 2008, 22:19 »
Oooohhhh...these things ahappen. What putty? I can't find the Squadron green lately, Squadron white was OK but nothing special. I do like the Tamiya grey, but that is pretty "hot" for styrene and can act like a solvent if you use too much. It's creamy and very strong and plasticy, good stuff if used wisely. (great for resin!)

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul , 2008, 02:25 »
I was using the Squadron white. I also have the green but that can be a bit hard to cover up with primer at times.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul , 2008, 05:17 »
Yes, very good point. I definitely recommend the Tamiya grey, but use it wisely! Actually, my main trend for awhile is to avoid putty..."cheat" byt scraping plastic around area to blend and use as little as possible, and in some seam-filling applications, use CA (superglue) - tho that is much harder than the surrounding plastic. At one time, years ago, I experimented with styrene shavings (really "sawdust" mixed with solvent. Good in theory, but without machinery it's hard to homebrew it.

Anyway, great work, and good on ya for attempting something new and tricky. if it doesn't work the first time, you c an do it again! But by your progress shots, I'd say it's working fine.

Mike K

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jul , 2008, 10:54 »
  Home brew is easy. Chop up some of the kit's sprue, toss it in a half bottle of Tenax-7R, until you have a nice thick goop. Perfect color match on model. Sands same as model, and can be polished to match model finish. It's also easier to make stretched sprue, for rigging and weld lines.
   On the negative side, if you put too much on, at one time, it can melt the plastic under it. So it takes time to build up things. Probably 3 or 4 days, to build up half an inch.
   It's the method I use to put a "Tench" chin on the big Revell Gato.

Mike K.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jul , 2008, 05:23 »
And that looks mighty fine, so it works!

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul , 2008, 08:30 »
Wildspear- good to see you working on scratchbuilding! Above all, don't get discouraged. The process might take a little longer but the results and satisfaction will be all the better. Besides, your tower will match the Silversides exactly.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul , 2008, 05:36 »
Well said, TAS. What are you working on?

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul , 2008, 06:39 »
Hi Guys,   I'll be working on the USS Silversides hopefully soon. Many other things to get out of the way first. Besides, I can sure use the experiences of others shared on this wabsite- at my age I don't nave time to repeat things! Thats the great thing about a site like this- one can gain lots of valuable info and avoid problems. My hat is off to the guys who step forward first-Full Speed Ahead! My hat is also off to all the vets who served in boats like these- if you've been aboard or done any reading, wou'll know what I mean.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: 19 Jul , 2008, 02:53 »
Good logic and I think (hope) we all agree about sub vets. keep us posted!

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #44 on: 19 Jul , 2008, 15:14 »
Hey everyone,

Making some progress on the tower.

Just the lower half of the tower. I still have some fine adjusting to do. I've started to mark locations for the back lockers (lockers are from IBS.) The pointy back is also from IBS but I'm in the process of fixing a spot I messed up on. I drill some holes in the pointy back to match the Silversides but I dont know if it was an honest mistake or a plain old brain malfunction. I made the holes way to big and that made to whole patteren way to big. At lest I'm getting lots of putty practice.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul , 2008, 15:17 by wildspear »