Author Topic: WTB VIIC/41 deck  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
WTB VIIC/41 deck
« on: 02 Dec , 2009, 08:08 »
If some one have a surplus VIIC/41 plastic deck, i

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
Re: WTB VIIC/41 deck
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec , 2009, 08:12 »
Anyone knows what

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec , 2009, 00:03 »
It is the holiday season, he might be on slowdown...hopefully it's nothing to worry about
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec , 2009, 08:25 »
Yes, the holidays... I was thinking the same. Little odd that there were no info about delays because the holidays on their web site... Still, three weeks has gone...
But hey, i have no rush for the deck. Just wondering about it..

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan , 2010, 10:24 »
Yes, the holidays... I was thinking the same. Little odd that there were no info about delays because the holidays on their web site... Still, three weeks has gone...
But hey, i have no rush for the deck. Just wondering about it..

Anakin:

Being located in the Midwestern USA -thus allowing inexpensive long distance phone calls- I will phone Nautilus on Monday January 4 to see if I can find out what's going on for you.

I have no idea how big or small an operation they are, but I have, in the past, encountered delays from small "mom and pop" aftermarket companies if someone gets down sick.

At any rate, let's see what the Monday call tells us.

All the best,
Don

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan , 2010, 07:05 »
Thanks Don!

That would be great.  :)

-Anakin-

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jan , 2010, 09:41 »
Thanks Don!

That would be great.  :)

-Anakin-

Anakin:

I spoke to James at Nautilus Models just a few minutes ago. He told me that he has received all of your E-mails and that he has responded to all of them. (The last one he sent just this morning)

For some reason his replys are not getting through to you. He suggested turning off your spam blocker if you have one on. (perhaps the spam blocker is not allowing his replys be received at your end.)

He also said that he will extend the discount to you that was previously discussed.

A few thoughts here:

*First check to see your spam blocker is "off."

*Secondly, have you changed Internet Service Provider recently? If so maybe they have a spam blocker -or some other software blocking his replys to you?

*I'm not all that computer literate, but you may consider checking with someone who is to determine what other reasons his responses are not reaching you.

In Summary, James at Nautilus has gotten all of your messages and assures me he is trying to reach you and wants to work with you.

I hope the above is of some help.

All the best,
Don

PS: If all else fails you can use "snail mail" to the following address:

Nautilus Models
AAA Hobby Supply
1474 Roswell Rd.
Marietta, Ga. 30062
USA

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jan , 2010, 09:55 »
You can always try this route.
I know he had the account with us at some point of the life of the forum.
If he is still active i dont know, but worth the try.

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan , 2010, 10:30 »
LOL!  Again...  Thanks Don and Siara!

I

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #9 on: 04 Jan , 2010, 11:13 »
LOL!  Again...  Thanks Don and Siara!

I

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jan , 2010, 13:22 »
Finally i

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan , 2010, 01:11 »
Pat - sighs with you
Don - good wisdom!
Greif - looking good!

Don in Cincinnati

« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan , 2010, 11:02 »

Offline Pat

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 09:23 »
Sorry to be jumping into this thread so late, but I just discovered this site a week or so ago.  (GREAT site, great discussions, great detail and pix btw)

I can't help wondering why not just scratchbuild the deck?

I had a deck from the kit I'm building (I would have given it to you but sorry, I've destroyed it while using it for templates) and decided that it was easier to scratchbuild a new deck and being made out of real wood, it looks much more realistic than any manufactured deck.

(That doesn't hold true of some of the earlier steel decks of course as PE works better for them).

There are several different methods of scratchbuilding a wooden deck, depending on the level of detail and realism you want and how much work you want to go to.

The simplest is to use a sheet of thin plywood scribed or inked with the plank lines on it and just mark or cut in where the various hatches are.  This plywood is available at most good hobby shops that carry materials for sailing ship models.  It's only 1 pc, but the advantage is real wood grain (unlike the PE parts) and none of that slight offset that you often get when joining two plastic deck parts.

More detailed is to use the same plywood plank and a tiny Dremel tool with a jig and route out the spaces between the planks to represent the drainage through the deck.  But otherwise,this is still like the above method using a single sheet for the whole deck.  You need a steady hand and a jig to get the cuts straight, but the result is very satisfactory.

More difficult still, but even more effective, is to put in all the beams (their location can be determined by various methods) and then lay each and every plank as a separate piece.  This allows you to space the planks realistically and lets some of the detail underneath show through.  It means that you need to put in a lot of filler pcs in certain areas where the planks cross the beams, and isn't for those without a lot of patience, but the result is worth it since every plank will have slightly different grain and colour and look VERY realistic.

The most detailed method, which is what I'm doing, is to not only install the beams under the deck and individual deck planks, but to make hinges fand frames for each of the hatches so that they open to reveal the detail of the pressure hull underneath.  I wouldn't recommend this for everybody since it's a LOT of work and results in literally, thousands of extra pcs., but the result is a deck that if done well, in closeup looks like you're standing on the real thing.

Of course, the last method will add at least a year to the build time, but you end up with a museum quality model.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jan , 2010, 15:54 »
Thanks for that Pat, you've made an excellent list and reminded us that we shouldn't be daunted by something or take the narrow-mindset "obvious" approach. I love that list, spelled out nice, and some things I never thought of!

Of course I'm with you on the last one, truly stunning and a great sense of accomplishment in the end. Crazy, but good! Please keep us posted (with pix!) on your build, this is just what everyone is here for, to learn and clap loudly at beautiful work.