Author Topic: Interesting Model PRICE point 1/72 or 1/48  (Read 849 times)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
Interesting Model PRICE point 1/72 or 1/48
« on: 30 Apr , 2018, 12:02 »
Well when I first heard of the Trumpeter 1/48 U-552 and the price I went WOW. That much. $600.00 (Retail discounts out there while they last.) They I noticed all of the stuff in it and on it. The well you know "extra's".

So I looked up on the top of the front display case and looked at the price I had on the U-505 (IXC) and then looked down a shelf at the cmk upgrade kits for the IXC type, then went on line and noticed how much the price I had marked on the kits had gone up at my wholesaler.

WAIT A MINUTE!!

Started doing the math. Cost of U-boat, cost of upgrade kits. Wait a minute, Buying the 1/48 kit is less than the cost of the 1/72 kit with the upgrades.... Of course there are the errors in the kit, wait some errors in the 1/72 kit.

My math for the 1/72 kit and all of the cmk upgrades came to over $900 retail.

1/48 kit retails for $600. Does not have all of the upgrades, but.....

Something to think about. In my case bought both and put on the bucket list. Keep on gathering stuff and planning. Like to do more of the doing someday.

So what are your thoughts on the two kits? ???

Enjoy Life.

Later Tim

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
Re: Interesting Model PRICE point 1/72 or 1/48
« Reply #1 on: 01 May , 2018, 01:15 »
I've got both.  Got both by shopping around for a bargain.
I bought the Trumpeter 1/48 for $250 USD sent to NZ from one of the many Ebay modellers who buy 'must haves' then lose interest. It took patience and about 6 months to find the kit cheap enough. Now I'm about 6 months into the build and about 2 years to go :}:}

However although it makes a very nice average OOB kit it is very inaccurate.
Ive spent about $300 USD on resin, etch, printer parts etc.

Both kits need lots of TLC, patience and lots of extra styrene

The 1/72 again was a shop around.$50 USD. The CMK sets are very nice resin but are also not accurate but enhance the kit nicely.
« Last Edit: 01 May , 2018, 02:37 by Raymic1 »

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 01 May , 2018, 10:15 »
Wow. What shopping around you did. Both prices that you stated are well below my wholesale prices. Way to go. In my case I don't have the time to shop for something that I want.
I'm looking forward to working on both of the subs.

So what is your thought or thoughts on the price difference and such between the 2 kits. 1/48 or 1/72?

Later Tim

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 01 May , 2018, 11:06 »
Hi Tim, I have the Trumpeter 1/48.
I think that, despite the inaccuracy, is the only model that allows to reproduce the interiors of the U-Boat; and that worths the price.
With this kit there are years of works for superdetailing: every compartment is a model from itself...
I have no doubts: 1/48 forever...

Offline Raymic1

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #4 on: 01 May , 2018, 13:35 »
Yes the 1/48 is the better value for money as you get all the interiors and its BIG............ .
However to SUPER detail it will take me (and Bianco :) ) longer than i have left to live.....
I have therefore decided just to DETAIL and use 'Artistic Licence" to enable me to complete it before my unborn Grandkids leave home LOL LOL