Author Topic: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details  (Read 572662 times)

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
Re: Tores mailbox VIIC and VIIC/41 operation and technical details
« Reply #3795 on: 16 Oct , 2017, 02:41 »

Hello Mr. Tore,

Are you and the wife back from your farm and in the big city yet?  Here in hot southern Atlanta Georgia; If the weather forecast even suggest that there will be a snow dusting, then all the schools are closed. People make a mad rush to all the grocery stores and buy all the milk and bread they can find. I guess the fear of starvation makes people do crazy things.  I'm originally from northern West Virginia where I had to walk to school in 2 - 3 feet of snow, they never closed the schools because of the winter weather.  I assume it's the same way in Norway; you just tough it out!...

Regards,
Don_
A man's got to know his limitations...
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3796 on: 16 Oct , 2017, 08:49 »
Hi Don. Yes we are back in the civilisation, only to discover we forgot a couple of important items which shall be picked up by our grandson this week. Although we have had our first frosty nights, no snow as yet don`t miss it in my age. It take a few days to get back to the daily life in the city, but we are almost there.
Tore

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3797 on: 16 Oct , 2017, 15:50 »
Don, the small hole in the deck is a access hole for a locking handle for this hatch (see below). I not sure how the locking system works, you either lift or push down on the handle.

This images has been resized. Click to view original image.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3798 on: 16 Oct , 2017, 19:17 »
Hi Simon,

Great info...  I have attached a photo that shows the FBT 4 and FBT 2 vent holes in the saddle tanks.

I have marked with red dots on your drawing where I believe the FBT 2 residual gate valves are located under the wooden deck hatches. Do you think this is correct? Also, is there room to have hand-wheels attached to these gate valves under the deck, or were the hand-wheels always removed for this set as well? That photo I had of a crewman getting out in bad weather with a hand wrench (Claw) tool makes me believe the hand-wheel was once a possibility...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3799 on: 16 Oct , 2017, 19:44 »
Hi Simon,

Great info...  I have attached a photo that shows the FBT 4 and FBT 2 vent holes in the saddle tanks.

I have marked with red dots on your drawing where I believe the FBT 2 residual gate valves are located under the wooden deck hatches. Do you think this is correct? Also, is there room to have hand-wheels attached to these gate valves under the deck, or were the hand-wheels always removed for this set as well? That photo I had of a crewman getting out in bad weather with a hand wrench (Claw) tool makes me believe the hand-wheel was once a possibility...

Regards,
Don_

Hi Don,

I have not research the FBT 2 residual gate valves http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate16.htm valves b1 or d1 so I not sure. Since I am working on the saddle tanks I was soon start working on the piping that are found around them.

Simon

Offline tore

• Tore
« Reply #3800 on: 17 Oct , 2017, 02:38 »
On many of the valves not frequently used we removed the handwheels to prevent accidental operation. As to the gatevalves in the venting systems for MBT/fuelreservetanks 2 and 4, the gatevalves were only operated when changing the systems from ballast and fuel configuration and vice versa. I guess the standard would be to remove the wheels. A wheel wrench is a tool very often used by the crew for many type of valves. If you study the "sliced" XIC in US you`ll find many gatevalves in the casing, most of them tilted to accommodate the high valvecasing,  a drawback of the gate valves. The images are from a IXC but I guess the same valves are used for the VIIC as well. You may see quite a few of the valves have no wheels fitted and are even operated by bevel gears and rods, I guess however on a VIIC they were mostly locally operated..
« Last Edit: 17 Oct , 2017, 02:41 by tore »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3801 on: 18 Oct , 2017, 17:50 »
Hello Mr. Tore,

From what I can see on the Type VII U-Boats, the hand-wheels were not installed on the gate valves for FBT2 and FBT 4 on the venting duct; there was no room for the hand-wheels because of the deck space above was practically nil.  However, there looks to possibly be space to install the hand-wheels on the FBT 2 residual gate valves. The photo of the crewman going out in bad weather with a claw tool in his hand may support that theory. We'll just wait and see if Simon's new drawing of the hand-wheels for the gate valves on the FBT 2 residual cross-over pipe has the space above and below the deck...

I uploaded my latest version of Skizzenbuch to my Dropbox folder which has major changes to pages 86 and 88 (lower half)...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3802 on: 19 Oct , 2017, 11:23 »
Hi Don

I was looking at page 86 and the FBT4's gates valves are cover with different hatches compare to FBT2's. I will try to post pictures today after work.

Simon
« Last Edit: 20 Oct , 2017, 01:00 by NZSnowman »

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3803 on: 19 Oct , 2017, 13:55 »
Hi Simon,

No rush...  I'm only at page 237 on my review of Skizzenbuch.

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3804 on: 20 Oct , 2017, 01:12 »
Hi Don

I was looking at page 86 and the FBT4's gates valves are cover with different hatches compare to FBT2's. I will try to post pictures today after work.

Simon

Fig. 1. Port FBT4's gates valve hatch.

Fig. 2. Starborad FBT4's gates valve hatch.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3805 on: 20 Oct , 2017, 03:06 »
Hi Simon and Mr Tore,

Great images... I believe I may need to do some major changes to this Skizzenbuch section with all the latest drawings. It looks like the gate valves in this set of drawings has access for the change-over through the wooden deck doors. Again, I don't believe there is room for a hand-wheel to be installed on these gate valves...

(37096971424_5f62d20993_o) - this drawing sort of compares to the attached photo of U-201. If you look at the RED circled area there is a hole in the deck.  During the change-over to the water ballast configuration the FBT 2 and FBT 4 gate valves must be opened (access through the wooded deck doors)?

What does this mean for the drawing for U - 1308 and the metal plates with holes to change the gate valve configuration?

However, the header tank water pressure to FBT 2 and FBT 4 must also be cut-off.  Could the round holes in the deck be the access point to change-over the header tank water pressure selector valves? I remember the photos of the Type IX/C U-534 had the selector valves under the deck with what looked like there was plenty of room to install a hand-wheel, but there was none to be seen...

Regards,
Don_
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3806 on: 22 Oct , 2017, 01:05 »
(37096971424_5f62d20993_o) - this drawing sort of compares to the attached photo of U-201. If you look at the RED circled area there is a hole in the deck.  During the change-over to the water ballast configuration the FBT 2 and FBT 4 gate valves must be opened (access through the wooded deck doors)?

What does this mean for the drawing for U - 1308 and the metal plates with holes to change the gate valve configuration?

Hi Don

The different between U-1308 and the war-time photo of the hatches for the FBT4's gates valve is easily explained… the Schnorchel.

When they added the Schnorchel piping they had to change the hatches around the front of the CT casting.

Offline Don Prince

• Admiral3
« Reply #3807 on: 22 Oct , 2017, 15:28 »
Hi Simon,

Agreed, but not a great deal of difference of the hatches around the tower center and aft section... The U-Boat with the Atlantic bow added 280 mm forward.

Note - the drawings may have a slight error as to the exact locations of the hatches...

« Last Edit: 22 Oct , 2017, 15:30 by Don Prince »
Harry Callahan, SFPD

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3808 on: 23 Oct , 2017, 14:35 »
Hi Don & Tore

Any idea of the pipe dimension of the Fuel oil venting piping (http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate8.htm) for MB & RFO Tanks 2 & 4?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3809 on: 24 Oct , 2017, 02:23 »
Main Diesel Engine Exhaust System Group

Hi Don & Tore

While researching the Fuel oil compensating system, I noted that my original right-angle gearing which was based on the internal right-angle gearing was incorrect, below are the correct style of right angle gearing. It looks like the big different is how it was fixed, it not a pipe flange but a large hex screw.

Fig. 1. Original right-angle gearing.

Fig. 2. New right-angle gearing.

These images has been resized. Click to view original image.