Author Topic: Monofilament bonding  (Read 5446 times)

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
Monofilament bonding
« on: 14 Apr , 2013, 11:26 »
      Has anyone found a good adhesive for bonding monofilament (fishing line) to
itself or to plastic? I've tried everything i have. Thin and thick CA, Tenax-7R, Testors
glue, even adhesive that claims it bonds everything! I'm at a loss of what to use, if there's
any answer at all..
              Thanks in advance, Bill

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
Re: Monofilament bonding
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr , 2013, 20:23 »
If the Plasti-weld stuff didn't work, then im not sure what to tell you.
Maybe check out the forums for the guys who make hand-made Fly-Fishing lures. They might know a trick or two.

There is a product i found once, when i would repair laptop shells which impressed me. It was a two part liquid adhesive, one a primer / activator. the otherpart the adhesive.
 i used to get it from the autoparts store.
This is the product: (Loctite Plastix Advanced Plastic bonder)

Im not sure it will work for you though.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr , 2013, 20:20 by OldNoob »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr , 2013, 02:06 »
how are you using it? splicing (butted), or anchoring line, like antenna wire, etc?
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr , 2013, 06:25 »
 Hi Wink.. Thanks for the interest. I had hoped to use this on my "Type II" build. It's a
"Monofilament Line" available in diameters from .2mm to .8mm made for beaded jewllery.
I thought it would be  perfect for the railings, antenna wire, and dive plane guards. It's
supple and strong. At this point, though, I'm ready to use another product. Any
thoughts on this ??
                    Cheers/Regards
                                    Bill

« Last Edit: 17 Apr , 2013, 06:33 by billp51d »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr , 2013, 18:34 »
Yup - use thread. Not just any, and there is some work, but...

Buy WHITE  cotton thread, but HUNT for the right stuff - as "hairless" as possible. You will never find non-hairy completely, but that's OK. With a glove and a paper towel soaked in flat black, rub your thread (small sections just longer than you'll use finished). It doesn't take much paint, HARDLY ANY AT ALL. If you mess up with not enough you can see white/gray spots. You don't want to use much because you don't want to make the thread thick and stiff, all you're REALLY doing is just making the hairs lie down and stay down forever.

Drill a hole, poke thread in, tie knot, drop of CA glue. Draw TIIIIIIIIIIIGHT, knot, CA glue, done. My boat has been finished about 4-ish yrs, every line is tight and doesn't sag. Wire kinks, sometimes sags, mono fil is too hard to work with and too stiff.

There's another product I got a sample pack of, very nice but expensive: rubber line, called EZ-line. It's for telephone pole rigging on model train layouts. Stretches to about 3x it's length (advertising says 7, but...). Glues with CA. Nice, but thread works awesome. EZ-line was invented because apparently it's common to brush against the rigging on a model train layout and snap poles...Not a prob on boats (hopefully!)

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr , 2013, 18:36 by Rokket »
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr , 2013, 08:09 »
Thanks Wink....
I had considered thread at first but thought about sagging. I guess
the paint takes care of that along with the fine hairs. The price tag is
much better to.
                         Bill in Delaware...
« Last Edit: 20 Apr , 2013, 17:18 by billp51d »

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr , 2013, 07:38 »
Bill,
If u use thread such as Uni-thread's Caenis (but am sure it also works w the cotton thread Wink suggests) a good adhesive might be stationer's glue (mucilage in the US). Modeller David Griffith recommends its use in his amazing modelling book.  Unfortunately i havent got first hand experience w it (am way too far away from the rigging phase..), but according to many modellers it works just fine..
(http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34990)
Cheers!

« Last Edit: 23 Apr , 2013, 10:57 by SG »

Offline billp51d

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr , 2013, 15:05 »
     Thanks SG.. Since if already bought "Mono" maybe I'll give it a try. It was what I think is expensive... so for a few pennys more we'll see. I'll let you know. Thanks again for the interest.

Bill