Author Topic: Length of wooden deck slats??  (Read 2842 times)

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
Length of wooden deck slats??
« on: 20 Jul , 2010, 20:09 »
Does anyone know the typical length of the wooden deck slats on a Gato or Balao? I know there were odd ball pieces and the like around hatches and fittings, but I'm thinking of your average, middle of the deck length for an EB Gato or Balao. It looks like they were drilled and bolted to the stringers running under the deck laterally, so I guess I probably need to know the distance between the stringers.

I'm in the planning stages (MAYBE) of making my own deck so I need to know the dimensions to plan things out. I have the basic slat dimensions and their 3/4" spacings from the Floating Drydock's Plan Book but it doesn't show the average length.

Many thanks,

Robert

Offline aptivaboy

• Lieutenant
Re: Length of wooden deck slats??
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul , 2010, 20:41 »
Also, what were the dimensions of the bolt holes at the ends of the slats? I've got the info in my mountain of ship plans, but I can't seem to find them right now. How wide and how deep were they?
Many thanks again,

Robert

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul , 2010, 03:14 »
I pulled out the Floating Drydock e-book, but it doesn't have the plan in there. I have a hardccopy with dims but can't pull that up this minute. I'll have a look and get back to you.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul , 2010, 06:18 »
Don't know what the "whole" piece length was, but who is going to measure? If there is someone out there who knows- let them speak now or forever hold their criticism. As to the bolt size, that's kind of like the size of the welds. The scale width of the boards is so small and the bolt head smaller yet why bother- just drill a shallow hole the "right" looking size and be done. I believe the deck framing was spaced consistent with the boat's frame locations with some exceptions. The outer hull weld seams mostly fall on the frame line , but I think there are some major exceptions. Mike K's plate layout is of a late war boat and easy for a naval architect to understand but, more difficult for laymen like us.
TAS