Author Topic: Alanger type XXIII in 1:72 and Eduard Etch - waterline conversion  (Read 16073 times)

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
thank you very much for your tutorial in "filtering"!

helps a lot!!

did you correct the dimensional errors of the alanger boat in any way?
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
The crew is looking sweet!

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
hey siara, don't you have to work right now? ;D
Sincerely

Ralf

Mr.Mox

thank you very much for your tutorial in "filtering"!

helps a lot!!

did you correct the dimensional errors of the alanger boat in any way?

You are welcome - tjeck out MIG

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
hey siara, don't you have to work right now? ;D
I just heard the horn from the shipyard- im off to the docks...   ;D

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Hi Jan, beautiful build you have going!  It is going to be just a good as your Type II.

What shade(s) of green did you use for the base? 

Mr.Mox

Thanks Greif, just some random vallejo air i had  - mostly armour colours sprayed on in stripes - not sure how much will be visible with the water on - I

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Hi Jan, thank you for the reply and please call me Ernest!

My next build will be a Type IIA, U-3 in a pre-war dockside diorama.  After studying alot of photos I plan to give the water a greenish hue and your green looks perfect.

Ernest

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Hi guys,

A number of posts in this thread concerned dioramas. As requested, the topic has been split. The diorama posts have been moved to a topic of its own (dioramas and water-making) in the General Model Discussion section.

Cheers,

Dougie

Mr.Mox

Thanks Dougie!

Now heres where you just have to keep believing and hope the best ... and wait for it to dry up properly.

Cheers/Jan

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Im really curious where this one is going. Do you mind bringing us step by step of what you are using please?
Like the wave wake- looks exactly as it should be. ;)

Mr.Mox

Im really curious where this one is going. Do you mind bringing us step by step of what you are using please?
Like the wave wake- looks exactly as it should be. ;)

Its propably not the best method, but its relatively simple, cheep and non toxic. I use a material called Acryllic Gel Medium which you can buy in any craft or art store - it allso works as glue, but is primely intended to build up mass in acryllicpainting. It comes in different textures, this is the finest without anything added.

First i make the base, in this case its a piece of MDF - medium density fiberboard - its nice and heawy and dont warp with moisture - still its a good thing sealing it. I paint the base, in this case diffent shades of green to simulate the wavepattern I want to achive with the gel - finish with a gloss laquer or future, it helps the gel flow and fill any roughness in the base.

Then i begin building up the water, I have added several layers of Acryllic Gel Medium which has been tinted in variying degress with acryllic paints - different shades of green. - I have added a thicker layer where the waves is supposed to be, but as the Gel is rather fluid, it takes several times to build it up.

Drying time is abuot 1

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
Thanks Jan!  ;)
Carry on- ill follow with great interest.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Nice work, and love the pilings
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Mr.Mox

Thanks mates, Siara - I have some photos on the crew that I will post later in a seperate tread.

Heres the boat - I guess I am done, Im quite happy with the result, so I think I will leave it at this: