Author Topic: "Das Boot" -> Remake?  (Read 7068 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: "Das Boot" -> Remake?
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr , 2017, 00:59 »
Great news! looking forward to it. let's hope it's well made

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb , 2018, 16:02 »
Hi folks,

Thanks for posting, Simon. Please tell me that the model in that video is not going to be used in the $28 million Das Boot 2? It looks like the model that was originally made for the film U-571 (sorry for mentioning that film). As far as I recall the model was then modified to be used in other TV productions such as Ghostboat with Del Boy Trotter (David Jason). It looks like they have not modified the hull sides back to make it look like a real U-boat. The main drainage area is a joke, it looks like something from a crude semi-scale bath toy. And the flooding holes are almost as bad.

This is a joke, right? They are not going with this in the new miniseries are they?

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb , 2018, 16:18 »
Dougie, they did some work on the model about two months ago and because they started filming now, I imagine what you see now is the finish U-boat model for the movie.

I also have noted a few other people worries about the hull and flood holes etc. I am little surprised that they did not talk to the exports before starting filming.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb , 2018, 01:33 »
UN-bee-leeevable. SIGH. The horror movie (horror!) BELOW, used a real boat (Gato), good CGI, and great interior sets. It IS very possible to do! grrrrrr
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb , 2018, 19:56 »
New pictures

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar , 2018, 18:46 »
More pictures...

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar , 2018, 09:54 »
Seems like the production team doesn´t have a real professional advicer with the scenery or something... Most of the potential audience probably won´t see anything wrong with the boat. Or at least producers might think so... I´ll bet the flooding holes aren´t the only mistakes we will see!  :P

Am i wrong but is the u-boat they´re using in the film slightly smaller than the real VIIC? Down scaled?

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #23 on: 01 Apr , 2018, 14:35 »
Two new images released of TV-Mini Series Das Boot
https://www.movieofwar.com/two-new-images-released-of-das-boot/

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec , 2018, 23:43 »
The TV series remake of Das Boot is here in Australia. I have seen 2 episodes.  Here are my thoughts...
It's good! OK, it's NOT "our" Das Boot, but it has great production values and acting, and I'm really enjoying it! A lot! It's about uboots, and Germany, and WWII, but it is a lot different to the movie and the books. I see it like Star Trek Discovery: really cool in so many ways, just not "real" Star Trek, but that's OK.
The boat. Sigh.  ??? OK, I agree that it looks really scaled down, kinda tiny. I know, the drain/flood stuff, but it still looks pretty real if inaccurate, especially to people not on a uboot forum  ;D . The hull with weld seems, good bow, inside is nice. They even did an homage to the film with a dive, guy on the toilet trying to get his pants up and get to his post, identical shot almost to the film.

Anyway, its the only submarine (let alone uboot) show I've seen in a long time. I'm invested in Kaleun, I even sorta don't mind his First Watch Officer though he is angry and could be trouble, Simone Strasser from Alsace but German, she's mixed up in some stuff, and her brother is forced back out on patrol away from shore duties...it's all happening!
Just my 2 cents. (With inflation that must be $200, or to look at what two cents is really worth, hundreths of a cent!) ;D

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec , 2018, 00:28 »
Watching more, still enjoying...BUT...wrong champagne glass for 1942...OK, no reeeel big deal..but then without spoiling, a bizarre blow all ballast/surface thing....dramatic, but could have been more so, AND accurate!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec , 2018, 00:02 »
Finished. Overall, worth watching, but definitely a mixed bag. The uboot stuff is very Hollywood with all the things that happen, and I almost was more interested in the land/Resistance story. And the boat looks so weird on the outside because...yes, it truly is from that movie. You know tghe one. I would check out the miniseries though, it's worth watching for different reasons. But...SIGH.

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: 16 Dec , 2018, 02:54 »
Hi Rokket,

thanks for your informations. Saw a commercial here in Germany on free television for the Sky mini series, don't know if the series will be available for "non Sky channel watchers" maybe on DVD.

Already Lothar Günther Buchheim the author of the "The Boat" was dissatisfied with the movie version of his book. He called the movie later disrespectfully "Unterwasser-Western" which means "Underwater western movie".

Did they add the nervous breakdown scene of Johann in the remake?

Regards
falo

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: 19 Dec , 2018, 21:15 »
Hi falo,
No nervous breakdown. Western is very well put, because they go on a special mission and all kinds of things happen! Very Hollywood! But everyone should watch it. Except Dougie. (He would need a straight jacket for parts...) ;D
And it's far better than U-571! (but that doesn't say much really...)

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: 20 Dec , 2018, 21:30 »
Looking forward to seeing this sometime. Hope that it makes it to netflix someday. 

Later Tim