Author Topic: Pictures of a few previous builds  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Pictures of a few previous builds
« on: 08 Nov , 2010, 14:10 »
While I prepare for my next build, which will be Tamiya's Heinkel He 219 A7 in 1/48th scale, I thought I would post some photos of some previous builds.  I know that my skills are not in the same league as those of several of the master builders on this forum; but, I do manage to produce presentable builds from time to time.   And sometimes they are worth sharing with others.  :)

With that, following are some shots of a Tamiya 1/48 scale Bf109E4 that depicts FW Werner Machold's mount while flying with JG2 during the Battle of Britain.  Machold was credited with 16 victories during the battle to go with the 10 victories he earned during the Battle of France.  Machold force landed near Swanage on 9 June 1941 after being hit by AA fire while strafing a RN destroyer.  While researching the build I came across information that Machold often flew in an all blue uniform that he had specially made.  I decided to paint the pilot figure to resemble that and add a bit of color to the scene.  Another interesting thing about this plane was the camo scheme was done with a sponge.  I used a micro brush to get the "sponge" effect and was pleased with the result.

« Last Edit: 08 Nov , 2010, 15:03 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Pictures of a few previous builds
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 14:26 »
Next up is a Bf110C4 with the markings of Leutnant G
« Last Edit: 08 Nov , 2010, 15:01 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 14:51 »
Here with have a Hasegawa JU87 B2 Stuka in the markings of 4th Staffel, StG2.  I was unable to find out anything about this plane but decided to build it anyway because I thought the red terrier symbol was cool.

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 15:00 »
Some nice builds Greif.
I like the details which you added inside the pits, and the way you approach the each individual subject researching the story.
Keep them comming. I for one am interested in seeing more builds by you. ;)

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 15:25 »
Next up is a Do-17Z2 assigned to the Staff Flight of III/KG3.  It took off from St Trond in Belgium to attack Biggin Hill On August 26th 1940, piloted by Feldwebel Willi Effmert, navigator Herman Ritzel, wireless operator Helmut Reinhardt and bomb aimer Heinz Huhn. While flying in heavy clouds over the Straits of Dover the Dornier became separated from the rest of III Gruppe. Shortly after 1pm it was flying on its own when it was jumped at 13,000ft over Deal by a Boulton Paul Defiant of 264 Squadron from RAF Hornchurch.

With both his engines hit Effmert made a wheels-up landing on the Goodwin Sands at low water and the aircraft appears to have "ground looped" just before coming to a halt, breaking in half, killing Reinhardt and Huhn. Effmert and Ritzel survived to be captured, and spent the remainder of their war as PoWs in Canada."

This is the truely horrible Hobbycraft kit.  The kit is so bad I felt a sense of relief instead of pride when I finally finished it.  Do not buy this kit unless you enjoy self inflicted pain.  The entire cockpit is scratchbuilt as the few pieces that come with the kit are not remotely close to accurate.  I also ended up moving the exhausts to the correct position on top of the cowling; I job that involved much cutting, puttying and cursing.  I did numerous other scratchbuild replacments, so many I can't remember them all.  This kit is due to be replaced when I get around to building the Classic Airframes Do-17Z2 kit, though I may saw off the fuselage to keep the cockpit, which I am pretty proud of.  Did I mention how bad this kit is?

« Last Edit: 08 Nov , 2010, 15:30 by Greif »

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 15:34 »
Thanks Siara, coming from a modeller of your caliber that means alot my friend!

Ernest

Some nice builds Greif.
I like the details which you added inside the pits, and the way you approach the each individual subject researching the story.
Keep them comming. I for one am interested in seeing more builds by you. ;)

TRM

« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 16:19 »
Great build Ernest!  Nice little collection! 

Cheers!

bracco_n

« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 20:08 »
Ernest your models are great! I love models that recreate real machines flown by real men. by the way there's a great book on the air war that I've just finished reading and you might like. It's called Battles with the Luftwaffe, can't remember the author now. I strongly recommend it. by the way it has a great number of awesome photos.
keep it up!

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 23:53 »
Ernest, they are fantastic!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov , 2010, 23:54 »
TRM and Bracco, thanks for the kind comments.  I find that researching a particulair build is almost as much fun, the Hobbycraft kit not withstanding, as building them.  The research also gives me a sense of connection with the kit and, for me at least, breathes some life into it.

Bracco, I will track down the book to add to my collection as one cannot have enough reading material and references.  ;D

Ernest

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
« Reply #10 on: 09 Nov , 2010, 00:10 »
Greif, your Do 17 is wonderfull, good to see this warbird.

I would love to see all your birds displayed together a have a good conversation in german...  ;)
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov , 2010, 00:26 »
Thank you Simon.  I wish they looked as good as your uboot technical drawings though!  ;)

Ernest

Ernest, they are fantastic!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #12 on: 09 Nov , 2010, 00:30 »
Thank you for the kind comments Pepper-mint.  Once my modelling room is finished - a few months off at this point - I will see if I can take some pictures of the collection together. 

Ernest

Greif, your Do 17 is wonderfull, good to see this warbird.

I would love to see all your birds displayed together a have a good conversation in german...  ;)

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov , 2010, 22:44 »
really nice work, the details and the display - agreed, keep them coming!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz