Author Topic: The real Type VIIDs  (Read 27540 times)

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
Re: The real Type VIIDs
« Reply #30 on: 01 Mar , 2012, 06:20 »
 ;)   Great finding Simon!

rjleslie911

« Reply #31 on: 03 Aug , 2012, 19:59 »
I just wanted to say thinks for this thread. I am in the middle of building a V11D from the revel kit plus many aftermarket items and was planning to build it with the larger wintergarden after reading something about this many years ago. Was never able to find any references, let alone a picture of this until today.

Does anyone know how many mine tubes were covered by this extension - The article I read said 1, but it looks to be possibly more from the photo?

I also, maybe mistakenly, understood that the wintergarden was modified to have 2 AA guns, I am assuming side by side as in the Turm 4 towers. Can anyone confirm this - or have a photo of this configuration?

Thanks
Richard

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: 04 Aug , 2012, 15:17 »
Hello Richard,

Welcome to the forum. NZSnowman posted some good shots on page 1 of this thread. These show a VIID with wintergarten.

The photo that is labelled "19 September 1943" - this looks like a VIID with what looks like a Turm II. On the upper platform there looks to be a single 37mm (at least I think it might be 37mm) with a shield. On the lower platform there looks to be a single 20mm.

The two photos above that show U 218 with camouflage and what looks like a Turm IV tower. Looks like a pair of twin 20mms on the upper platform and a single 37mm on the lower platform.

I presume the VIIDs followed the same pattern as the VIICs in that in 1943 they were first modified to Turm II, then a few months later were modified to Turm IV.

On the question of how many tubes were covered by the extension, have a look at the top image of U 218 in NZSnowman's post. I can only see two tubes remaining behind the Turm IV. There were originally 5 tubes so I am left thinking that the Turm IV covered 3 tubes, leaving 2 tubes exposed behind. Can anybody confirm or have any different info on this?

Cheers,

Dougie

rjleslie911

« Reply #33 on: 04 Aug , 2012, 17:56 »
Hi Dougie,

thankyou for the reply. I agree that the photos seem to indicate upto 3 tubes covered. I gather these covered ones would become unusable so in the later parts of the war was mine laying becoming less of a focus over AA protection?

I didn't notice the difference between the two photos. The additional platform on the "19 September 1943" photo seems to be covering less tubes and actually seems to refer back to what I read in the past on the addition of the AA gun. This article mentioned only 1 tube was lost - I wish I could relocate this.

thanks
Richard

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #34 on: 09 Mar , 2013, 06:12 »
U-213  :)