Author Topic: Future AMP upgrade set - 72nd Type II U-boat  (Read 30261 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Future AMP upgrade set - 72nd Type II U-boat
« on: 07 Jun , 2008, 15:10 »
Hello all,

I thought I

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
Re: Future AMP upgrade set - 72nd Type II U-boat
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun , 2008, 21:25 »
twenty years ago I might have been able to read some of the post on that site but as the years have gone by I lost the skills to read the german language. It looks like a very interesting kit. After I finish the Revell Gato I'll have to try some of the U-boots. I love the big scales.

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun , 2008, 13:09 »
well, I'm german and I post at modellboard from time to time.
Particular questions regarding that thread I may answer, if You like.....................
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep , 2008, 15:17 »
Hello folks,

It is about time for a detailed progress update on our forthcoming set for the 72nd scale Special Navy (SN) Type IIA kit.

The photo-etch (PE) will be in two different thicknesses. One normal one and a thin sheet for the small detail parts. There are three main areas

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep , 2008, 09:40 »
Mister Doug,

Any way we could look at some pics? I was able to talk my wifey into letting me increase my fleet of 1/72 scale ships(only have the gato right now...lol) and the next boat will be a german sub. As you all know I have little skill at waiting and the new news has got my attention.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep , 2008, 07:49 »
Hi Wildspear,

Only a few shots for you. The image below shows the tricolour flags and two wedges -

The first wedge is for the middle of the hull. It helps the modeller keep the hull together nice and snug. There is a lip on either end of the resin wedge to make it fit nicely onto the SN kit edges. Apologies for including my thumb in the image as I wasn't wanting to glue the wedge in place.

The second wedge comes at the rear of the hull. The two images below show where it will fit on the hull -

The SN deck is too narrow at the stern so this resin wedge helps to widen it out to its true size. The hole on the resin part goes over the SN pin. We have included this wedge to make sure that everything fits nicely, particularly with the metal deck section at the stern.

We'll post other images in due course.

Cheers,

Dougie

PS Always good to have an understanding missus :)

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep , 2008, 07:26 »
I know your still working on the product but we would need to run some bracing to support the PE deck correct? I'm dreading this part of the build for my gato.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep , 2008, 10:43 »
Hi Wildspear,

We're hoping that you might not need bracing. On the edge of the deck we intend having tabs that can be bent 90 degrees. This should hold the deck in place at the right height, and help support the deck too. But we'll have to wait until the testing stage to see if this will be successful. Fingers crossed it works!

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 01:04 »
Hi Dougie, how is the upgrade set progressing?  I plan to buy this for AMP when it is available.

Ernest

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 02:58 »
Me too, me too........

and some other folks in germany!
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 14:10 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for asking about the set. It is about time for an update. The design of the PE is very nearly completed now. We hope to get the film made in the next few days. Then we will be ready to get test sheets done. At that stage we'll have to keep our fingers crossed. If there are any problems, we'd have to alter the design and get another test sheet produced. But hopefully the test sheets will be okay.

When we studied the tower, we found quite a few areas that could do with PE parts. This in turn meant more time spent in research and design. It also brought the part count of the set up considerably.

Assuming I've counted properly, there will be 312 parts in the set (143 parts in thin PE and 169 parts in thicker PE). This is more that we'd envisaged when we started researching. But when one studies the subject, we find many things which can improve the original kit.

Our hope is that a modeller with the AMP set will be able to build the Special Navy Type IIA kit to a very high degree of accuracy. We can buy a range of aftermarket kits for the Revell Type VIIC. Hopefully the modeller will only need one aftermarket set (the AMP one) to make the Type IIA kit very accurate. To try to achieve this goal takes a lot of effort and time, hence why the set has taken longer than planned. 

The decals have been printed and tested. We're very pleased with the results. U-numbers 2, 4 and 5 will be available. The small white numbers on the red lifebelt are included. Also included are the six sets of waterline draft markings (similar to the VII draft markings). The photo below shows the decal sheet on the left. On the right are some of the decals upon a piece of plastic.

Any questions just ask.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Siara

• Admiral2
    • Master Models
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 14:16 »
You are really teasing me Dougie. ;)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan , 2009, 14:35 »
Hi Siara,

The Type IIA is like a little brother of the Type VIIC. They both have a similar aesthetic appeal that other boats (to my eyes) don't quite have. When your U 552 rolls off the slipway and starts patrolling the North Atlantic, you'll need something else to build...

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan , 2009, 00:55 »
Hi Dougie, thank you for the update.  As I stated above, I am going to buy the AMP aftermarket set. 

If it is not ready by the time I begin my Type IIA build, well I guess I'll just have to buy another one to use the AMP aftermarket set on! ;)

Ernest

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: 09 Mar , 2009, 21:37 »
Hello Dougie,

I am very interested in this decal set for my early U-45 build.  The shape and size of the conning tower numbers appear to be correct for an early VIIB.  What do you think?  Is there any possibility of adding some other details to this decal set for the early VIIB boats?  Things like the inscription for the life belts, emergency buoy markers and numbers for the plaque on the bow sides would be of great value.  Even if this can't be done, the conning tower numbers would really help me.

Thanks and regards,

Bill