Author Topic: Decanting from a Rattle Can  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Commander
Decanting from a Rattle Can
« on: 15 Jan , 2010, 14:42 »
On occasion, I have decanted rattle can paint for use in my airbrush.  Basically, I just sprayed the rattle can directly into a small glass jar holding the spray nozzle almost inside the jar opening.  Then, add thinner to the jar until the paint is very thin.  Just before loading your airbrush, stir the mixture well and spray immediately as the paint and thinner will separate quickly.  I have had different results with this technique.  I think the particle size is the main problem with finer particle paint working better.  This decanted paint does not store well, sometimes even after a day or two it is unusable.

I am sure that someone else must have a better technique?

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
Re: Decanting from a Rattle Can
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan , 2010, 00:57 »
No, tho I do remember being about 14 and poking the top of a rattle can with a rod/needle of some kind, because the plastic nozzle was missing. SPROOOSHWHP!!! My face, glasses, hair, and a few bits were red.

I use the same method for little bits of stuff, especially casting mold lubricant. I generally use talcum powderr for the resin casting, but for mold making i coat the master with spray lube (mold release), but the spray is impractical, so I decant first. Over a garbage bin, looking away, gloves, holding breath.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
Re: Decanting from a Rattle Can
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan , 2010, 01:51 »
Thats exactly how I do it, except I use a drinking straw.  I think there is much less splatter that way.  You're dead on with the life of decanted paint being very short.

Ernest

On occasion, I have decanted rattle can paint for use in my airbrush.  Basically, I just sprayed the rattle can directly into a small glass jar holding the spray nozzle almost inside the jar opening.  Then, add thinner to the jar until the paint is very thin.  Just before loading your airbrush, stir the mixture well and spray immediately as the paint and thinner will separate quickly.  I have had different results with this technique.  I think the particle size is the main problem with finer particle paint working better.  This decanted paint does not store well, sometimes even after a day or two it is unusable.

I am sure that someone else must have a better technique?