Author Topic: USS Bream SS-243  (Read 16850 times)

aurora-7

Re: USS Bream SS-243
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul , 2009, 07:28 »
Serious work, Eric. I like how the fairwater mod is coming.

Offline wildspear

• Silversides King
  • Commander
  • Grand Zebra
« Reply #16 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 09:34 »
Mr. Division 6,

I'll be at The USS Silversides today, I'll get some good pics of the inside of the fairwater.

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 02 Aug , 2009, 13:18 »
Thank You My Friend.

And you can drop the Mr, we're all friends here. ;)

Eric...

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 03 Aug , 2009, 15:24 »
Well I just got more blueprints (Outer Shell Expansion) in so I'm hoping to get some more work done this week.

Eric...

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #19 on: 04 Aug , 2009, 02:42 »
Very exciting, getting plans and, well, making plans!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug , 2009, 18:37 »
Well here's a small update of something I've been working one.
Since it was brought to my attention that the boat I am building more than likely had flat Balao type shutters and since finding a pic of the Cobia with them (she launched a month after the Bream) I decided to go ahead and replace them.

At present I've removed the molded on doors, fixed the leading edge and started to install the flat plates the go in front of the doors, still need to install the bottom ones.
I have also started on the internal framing
From what I can tell from various EB boats they had a flat plate extending part way in with framing showing towards the middle where other yards had cut outs.

Eric...
« Last Edit: 28 Aug , 2009, 21:42 by Division 6 »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug , 2009, 21:22 »
Wow, looks really nice! Keep those pix coming.

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug , 2009, 21:40 »
Thanks.

I had forgotten I had a blueprint that confirmed that the Bream had the same doors as the Cobia.

I took a look at some of the other boats listed and from what I can tell they all have the holes along the top edge of the doors.
I'm not doing the holes just aft of the doors since the Bluegill (SS-242) that launched just before the Bream didn't have them an as far as I can tell neither did the Shark (SS-314) that launched the same day.

Eric...
« Last Edit: 28 Aug , 2009, 21:46 by Division 6 »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug , 2009, 02:18 »
Cobia (has) the Flat Angled "Balao" style now, not sure if she started different or not.

SS241 Bashaw Oct 43 EB Balao Shutter CONFIRMED
SS242 Bluegill Nov 43 EB BorS Shutter (cant tell but NOT Valley, most likely Balao based on 241)
SS243 Bream Jan 44 EB ??? (most likely Balao based on 241)
SS244 Cavalla Feb 44 EB Balao? Shutter (most likely Balao based on 241)
SS245 Cobia Mar 44 EB Balao? Shutter

Offline TAS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug , 2009, 11:30 »
A word of caution to all. I've spent most of my life doing drafting work and that includes making blueprints. Thay are not quite as perfect as some might think. The process has a tendancy to stretch the print ever so slightly- measuring short items gives the greatest accuracy-long distances may measure long! It all depends on many things, the humidity at the time the print was made, humidity at measurement time, type of b/p machine etc. Always, whenever possible, check direct print measurements with known published dimensions to get a feel as to how accurate your print is. And believe it or not, the thickness of the drawing has an effect on the print (light passing through, etc.). May not mean much to some people but others may want to know such things. And, the drawing was made by a HUMAN! Back in the day, things weren't as accurate as we can make them nowadays on a computer/plotter. Even some printers affect accuracy!

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug , 2009, 13:21 »
Yeah I used to run 40+ foot long prints in a sign shop than have to try and tape them together. :o
Some of them where drawings I drew myself.
Even had problems with plotter tables.

You also get some sliding if the paper gets snagged or the feed is off.

I'm using the prints as a rough estimate and making a modified drawing that is closer to the model so I can figure out what the heck I'm doing, cross checking with photos, etc.

One of the prints I got had to have a 1' section removed since it repeated in the middle.

I've also been making notes on different items and I even made a scribing template out of clear plastic for assorted openings.

Eric...

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 07 Sep , 2009, 18:48 »
Nothing to show at the moment but I have been looking at the area behind the bow dive planes.

Someone over on Fine Scale asked about what's in there and Rokket posted a nice picture of the area with the entire outer shell and framing removed that I believe is of the Cavalla fixing up that recently took place.

Anyway to actually make it look correct in there part of the model structure will have to be removed inside on the top area to the side mounting pins at least and the pressure hull will need to be extended forward for the mechanism framing and gears to sit on plus that area is visible inside anyway weather you are putting the gearing in or not.

Shouldn't be to difficult to do with a bit of cutting and some sheet plastic.

It will have to take place later once the hull has been glued together.
Something down the road since there is much that needs to be done before then like cutting out the flood holes and doing some inside framing, etc....

Eric...

Offline Division 6

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 06 Oct , 2009, 17:36 »
Minimal work done.
Some putty work and a shot of primer to see how the bow looks.
Still needs some clean up than start work on internal framing and shutters.
Notice I also started cutting out part of the anchor well and have started to modify the kit's anchor so it will look more like the real ones.

I finally added the openings for the marker buoys and shot some primer on them as well to see how it looks.
In the first picture you can see that I scraped filled and sanded the old later model marker covers to remove them.
The second picture shows that i have marked off a grid over the old covers so I can drill the deck pattern to match the rest of the deck.
The drilling will have to wait till I replace my small drill bit that broke the other day when my pin vise took a dive off my desk. :'(

I think next on the agenda it removing the aft capstan so it can be centered.
I have already made a mold of it so I can cast up a replacement.

Eric...
« Last Edit: 06 Oct , 2009, 17:38 by Division 6 »

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: 07 Oct , 2009, 01:27 »
Good stuff, love the fixes!

Offline IBS

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #29 on: 09 Oct , 2009, 09:34 »
Mr Erik, I noticed you have been writing a lot slander  about me and products on other forums,  if you have your own hidden agenda is one thing, but before you go anal on my parts I do recommend you improve your  door knobs.   Mario