Author Topic: Flooding Vents & Bow Flood Vents  (Read 834 times)

Offline Rolle

• Midshipman Cadet
Flooding Vents & Bow Flood Vents
« on: 28 Feb , 2018, 01:08 »
Hi all,

Iam new here and rookie to submarines, have build wooden ships before and never actually plastic models.
I have always been fascinating about subs so I will start this new project VII C detailed.
I have tried to find in the forum about my two questions..

1) The flooding vents, is there some place you can see trough to other side on a VII sub or should I cover it somehow on the inside after drilling them out? Same goes with the bow vents 3 on port side and 2 on starboard.

2) I have read some "U-BOOT im Focus" magazines and wonder is there some edition about U 94 or U 96 or are there some other good reference books or magazines about this subs?

Thanks for a great forum and all good tips & tricks

Rolle

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
Re: Flooding Vents & Bow Flood Vents
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb , 2018, 03:10 »
Hi Rolle,
about your first question, you don't have to cover the inside of the flooding holes after drilling them out, because through them you could see the inner pressure hull, the ribs of outer hull and all the equipment fixed on pressure hull: pipes, tubes, bottles, air conducts, etc...
About some specific books on U94 or U96, wait for the forum expert opinions....
Cheers.
Filippo

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb , 2018, 14:20 »
Hello Rolle,

There is a book by Luc Braeuer "German U-Boat Ace Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock: The Patrols of U-96 in World War II" which may interest you. I don't have this book so I don't know how many photos of U 96 are in the book. But I do have a few of his Lorient books and they are very good.

I don't know of any book on U 94 but perhaps Braeuer will write one in the future.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Rolle

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr , 2018, 13:39 »
Thank you both Bianco and Dougie,

I got the the upper pressure hull from "Blue Ridge" seems be real good quality by the way is there any good tip how other have use this product?

Dougie thank you relay for the book tip, it have been great pleasure to read about the U 96 and it have relay good pictures!

All the best!

Cheers!

Offline 42rocker

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr , 2018, 16:53 »
I believe that Blue Ridge is now doing what Yankee Modelworks used to do.
Look at Glenn use of Upper Pressure Works at

http://gc-scalemodels.ca/U625/index.htm

Enjoy

Later Tim

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr , 2018, 06:18 »
Personally, I would rather now put in my own components for inner pressure hull shapes & components.  They will be lighter, and easily made with basic materials.   Unless you are doing a cutaway, everything is hidden after the hull is closed up.

Yes, on my U-625 site, the "Hull Assembly" section addresses the cast resin inner pressure hull pieces.
Also see my U-673 site for information about making your own inner pressure hull.

http://gc-scalemodels.ca/U625/index.htm
http://gc-scalemodels.ca/U673/index.htm
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca