Author Topic: [WIP] Double Type XXIII build (ICM and Trumpeter, both 1/144)  (Read 56626 times)

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
It feels so good to finally have a day off!
Spending my time drinking Jack Daniels and working on and off on the diorama and U-2360.

Scratchbuilding the quay:

TBC...
On the workbench:
Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type IIb U-boat
ICM 1/144 Type XXIII U-boat
Revell 1/144 Type VIID U-boat
Minicraft 1/700 USS Ticonderoga CG-47
Collecting materials:
(scratchbuild) 1/144 Type XVII-B Walther U-bo

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Hello conus00

Great build so far, you seem to enjoy scratchB... AND very interesting topic.

I'm staying tuned.
 ;)
On the W.bench :
Books, pics, drawings, styrene, dreams and :

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Thanks Pepper-mint.
Yes, I do enjoy scratchbuilding (to certain extent).
My work on Trumpeter's kit continues but i have ran into a major glitch (which is bugging the crap out of me).
Here is my problem and I would appreciate your guy's help.
My life was nice and peachy (regardless building the Trumpeter's kit, anyway) until I ran into this picture:

I was originally planning on building U-2360 using the Trumpeter's parts #5 and #6.
After seeing this picture I have done some additional research and found out that Type XXIII over the course of the war had four different sails installed (Gesloschenne Brucke and three different Offene Brucke):
My German is pretty bad but I'm guessing that it means open/closed bridge?

I have seen couple builds of Mod.557 on the net and like the closed CT version a lot.
So here is my problem: there is a major contradiction in two available pictures of U-2360 I have.
According to this one (at least IMO) the U-2360 had the "open bridge CT installed":

Contrary to this picture (which makes me believe that U-2360 was one of the testing boats for the "closed bridge"):

I have built both versions of the sail so far (trying to figure out which one is gonna actually end up on the hull) and tried to take similar angle picture (sorry for "taped" CT, I'm still working on the interior).
As you can see the CT HAS TO BE the "closed bridge " because proportionally it just does not make sense... On the other hand the "closed bridge" version had only single hatch on the top and there are TWO people standing on the top of the sail. How, the heck, they both fit in there??? This is blowing my mind.... Dang!

I'm a real stickler for historical accuracy and I am at dire straits. I'd appreciate any help I can get on this mess.

My conclusion:
The U-2360 had two sails installed in her career: streamlined "open bridge" and "closed bridge" prototype.
I'd prefer to build the "closed bridge" version because I like it.
So here is my dilemma

Also, the Mod. 557 seems to be missing the bow hatch... If the photographer just took the picture of extra two feet  down...

As Jan Klarb
« Last Edit: 28 Nov , 2010, 12:19 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
Hi,

Yes that's what it means.
and "Verschiedene Br
« Last Edit: 29 Nov , 2010, 06:18 by Pepper-mint »
On the W.bench :

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
By the way, this is from the first Trumpeter 1/144 typXXIII kit (05907):

On the W.bench :

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Thanks a lot Pepper-mint!
That explains a lot of my questions.

This is exactly the kit I have (05907) and I'm almost 100% sure now that this is the CT I'm gonna end up using:

Update coming soon.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec , 2010, 14:59 by conus00 »
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
hello again ;),

please be aware that some drawings are just "Entwurf", which means "projected". ('43..........)

use Your scratch- builded "Mod. 557" with straight front line and the hatch for the dinghy in front .
and leave a cut- out for two figures and a mounting point for the
« Last Edit: 03 Dec , 2010, 02:21 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

TRM

Ralf,

I believe the Yellow stripe is to signify a boat on training trials, not assigned to a particular flotilla.

Cheers!

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
yes, I know.

I just wanted to reactivate conus00 question regarding the placement of additional stripes abeam fore (and aft?).

sincerely

ralf
Sincerely

Ralf

TRM

My appologies.

T

Offline rabapla

• Lt Cdr
oh sorry, no no. :o

didn't want to sound like a prima donna. :)

« Last Edit: 03 Dec , 2010, 05:03 by rabapla »
Sincerely

Ralf

Offline Pepper-mint

• Commander
  • U-1299
a completely closed CT would have been from plexiglass........that's why I don't believe that the pic shows an "originally closed bridge"........it's a semi closed bridge from the beginning!
just as the caption for "photo 20" from "u-boot in focus" reads. 

Hi
You are right:
description in U-BOOT im Focus n
On the W.bench :

Offline conus00

• Lt Cdr
Gentlemen,
my work on both builds continues.
Thank you for all the great info and opinions on the conning tower configurations. After careful and long consideration here is what I decided on:
I will be using the streamlined (non-closed version of the CT, kit parts numbers 5 and 6) because even with your great posts there is no proof how the cut-out on the top looked like (i.e. it's shape/size).
On the other hand this picture clearly shows the CT configuration:

Also, (and that's my main reason) open tower will give me the opportunity to super-detail the interior of the CT and therefore add more details to the model.

So here is my decision on the CT:

No worries, the closed CT will not end up in a trash because I already have in mind small cute "diving" diorama. ;)

The question about the bow/aft yellow stripes

BOW:
I will definitely include one on the bow. I found this picture of U-2329 which shows where the stripe was placed.

I'm just little bit unsure if it extends all the way to the waterline. After carefully examining both pictures I'm leaning towards the bottom one:

AFT: I'm still undecided but after seeing the painting rapabla posted I'm inclined to placing one on the model to add a little bit of color.

I'm hearing a lot of references to U-boat Im Focus. Unfortunately I do not own the publications (even though I plan on purchasing them in future) but I would appreciate any scans of reference pictures.
I do not want to run into any copyright issues posting them here. I'm not sure how strict the forum rules are. You can always PM, though... ;)
Also I would really appreciate any pictures of Type XXIII conning tower interior.

Ok, now some pictures of the progress:
Started on some detailing of the U-2360 tower (scratchbuild and some PE leftovers)

Also I replaced the kits incorrect bow holes:

The quay for the U-Hai diorama:

Still not finished but continuing nicely.
Any questions, please let me know.
On the workbench:
Collecting materials:

bracco_n

Wow, it's looking great!

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
that display is going to look very cool!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz