Author Topic: Type VIIC Bow Stringer III  (Read 4610 times)

TopherVIIC

Type VIIC Bow Stringer III
« on: 16 Dec , 2011, 16:53 »
Greetings to all!
Odd question of the day...
From a skeletal point of view, what does the Bow Stringer III reportedly located between "B" and "C" decks look like? Also, do the gusset plates in this section stretch hull wall to hull wall, or are they triangular and only ensure that the central longitudinal frame member remain vertical? Where, between decks "B" and "C" is this fitted? Was it above, in mid-line, or below the level of the oval limber holes that are between the tube doors?

Question mark II - does the collision bulkhead at the aft end of the chain locker at frame 101 go from keel up all the way to the bottom of Deck "E" (presumably with limber holes?) or is it just partial support/reenforcent for the fwd dive plane/skeg area?

OK - those are decent Friday questions!
Cheers!
Topher VIIC

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
Re: Type VIIC Bow Stringer III
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec , 2011, 19:05 »
Welcome aboard Topher VIIC

Question 1: From my research I believe the Bow Stringer III look like a

TopherVIIC

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec , 2011, 19:28 »
Welcome aboard Topher VIIC

Question 1: From my research I believe the Bow Stringer III look like a

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec , 2011, 00:01 »
Shipping U-995 would be cheaper to Buffalo (at 3,724 miles) compare to Castle Hill (at 7,830 miles) I think I can say that I live the great distance from a U-boat. I believe U-537 is the nearest U-boat at 4,014 miles ;D

I am confident there is no bulkhead at frame № 101, as this would be the middle of the Bow diving tank.

TopherVIIC

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec , 2011, 10:14 »
Shipping U-995 would be cheaper to Buffalo (at 3,724 miles) compare to Castle Hill (at 7,830 miles) I think I can say that I live the great distance from a U-boat. I believe U-537 is the nearest U-boat at 4,014 miles

I think you are right - I am a bit closer. However, if anyone is interested in trade - I live ten minutes from the USS Croaker http://www.ussvibuffalo.org/uss_croaker.html She's a Gato, but I can take as many digital pictures of her as possible, in whatever detail I can get to for trade for type VII Blueprints and drawings... :-). We can chat about it... come over and have some tea...

I am confident there is no bulkhead at frame № 101, as this would be the middle of the Bow diving tank.

Thanks - As I mentioned, one drawing I have shows what looks like a full, solid, transverse bulkhead at frame 101. - which did not make sense to me either.

Here is what I am working on - This project as it is has been scrapped and a rebuild is in progress, which I will post in the proper build forum.
This is a 100% scratch build, The new version is already better. Note the Drukkorper endcap - The best part of this boat!

« Last Edit: 17 Dec , 2011, 10:41 by TopherVIIC »

bracco_n

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec , 2011, 11:07 »
I really like what you are doing, keep it up!

Offline VonStigler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec , 2011, 20:34 »
Wow!! That is an interesting project you have going, please keep us updated.
Regards,
Brian

Nevermind4712

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec , 2011, 17:04 »
Oh,..looks intresting:)

More Pics please!! ;D
...and what for scale is it?

TopherVIIC

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec , 2011, 19:04 »
Thanks -gents!
I am building this in 1:35th scale, plate by plate from the keel up. The final will have major portions of the Stb. hull cut away, with framing, plumbing, and as much detail as I can muster into it crammed in. I am building this segment from D.Spt 63 forward. That is the watertight bulkhead at the aft end of the fwd torpedo room. She will have a full interior.
I have not picked out a boat number yet, but she will be a VIIC/41.
As I mentioned earlier, I have actually scrapped the model you saw pics of (I have more of them,) but a new build is in progress. The boat had developed a longitudinal twist that sort of accumulated. It got on my nerves to the point where I decided I would start fresh and just be

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec , 2011, 00:37 »
wowwowowowo! Very interesting and well done. Keep us all posted on this puppy!
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec , 2011, 07:56 »
Amazing, am speechless! keep up the great work!

Offline Greif

• Admiral2
« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec , 2011, 02:39 »
Neat and interesting project.  You are a very skilled modeller as the pictures show; even more show that you scrapped the build "on the ways" because it did not meet you standards and started again from scratch.  That is worthy of respect in and of itself.  I will be following you progress on the new build with interest. 

By the way, I love the peanuts torpedo loading crew!  :D

Ernest