Author Topic: Vesikko website  (Read 22671 times)

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
Re: Vesikko website
« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar , 2011, 13:02 »
Hi Anakin,

Great news on the Vesikko. I wish similar money was spend on U 995! Hopefully MPM will release their kit soon.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar , 2011, 14:28 »
That is fantastic! I think The Vesikko is under appreciated as it's own history, and sub history. I hope they continue raising money.

The CT and scope, that is SOME project (at least it was for the Cobia crew!), but very much worth it.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar , 2011, 15:00 »
That is fantastic! I think The Vesikko is under appreciated as it's own history, and sub history. I hope they continue raising money.

The CT and scope, that is SOME project (at least it was for the Cobia crew!), but very much worth it.

Indeed it is...  The scope was made from some kind of air ventilation pipe just to look like one.. Really ugly IMO! I hope they put some effort to build a better one... 

When the Vesikko was storaged at the Valmet machinery yards in the 70

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar , 2011, 02:04 »
keep us posted!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jun , 2011, 10:58 »
Me and my son visited Vesikko last weekend. Waiting for the preservation so i took a little closer look at her hull and i must say it

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jun , 2011, 23:13 »
I visited 4 Gatos last year and it was a similar story. One was in the Atlantic, flaky rust, pretty much just a matter of time before she is gone. I think she rests on concrete pillars under the water, so she may not sink, but she might be unvisitable in a  few years. 2 were in great shape, but are in fresh water. 1 was in good shape, but is maintained by Navu help, and they have relaced the wood deck with steel tubing that is about the same size and looks roughly like wood.

I guess the best way is a museum building like U 505. But BIG money

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug , 2011, 14:29 »
Vesikkos preservation started few days ago. They shipped gravel by truck and ferry under the boat. The museum is open till the end of this month so the hoisting of the boat starts in 3 weeks.

At the moment there is really hard to get any information about the restoration but i think when it really starts there is going to be writings and clips in local newspapers and television. We

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug , 2011, 18:40 »
Glad it is actually happening!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #38 on: 08 Oct , 2011, 11:19 »
It was suppose to be a nice weather today so me and my son headed to Suomenlinna to see Vesikko again!
The weather was great +9 celcius and light wind... First we stopped at Maneesi museum where was this exhibition about underwater
discoveries around the fortress. Wrecks and so on. Russian engineers plans how to make a super size dry dock between two of the largest
islands of Suomenlinna. Really interesting if i may say!  :) But when we stepped out there was already raining and we didn

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct , 2011, 02:20 »
always sad to see less than perfect (or at least really good) restoration. USS Lionfish is like Swiss cheese in rusty tissue paper, probably not much could be done to her and she will go.

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #40 on: 08 Nov , 2011, 10:43 »
We visited Vesikko again last weekend... Small progress is seen. A company named Ship Repair and Conversion  www.src.ee is working with a small crane making some lifting points for a bigger crane.
Here are few pics...

The fall here is almost over soon and we are waiting the weather getting colder soon... It should be snowing and the temperature getting below zero in two weeks or so.
Perhaps next saturday me and my son will take the last visit to Suomenlinna this year to see Vesikko and some tall ships in the Suomenlinna drydock built in 1700 century.
Enjoying the hot smoked salmon soup at the cafe balcony in the fortress! http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/  :)

-Anakin-

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
« Reply #41 on: 08 Nov , 2011, 23:28 »
Very cool place! Enjoy the soup!

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #42 on: 29 Sep , 2012, 13:42 »
It has been a quite a lot of time since last update... At this moment Vesikkos keel is rebuilt and most of the rusted outer hull parts too. Mostly the plates with flooding holes. Looks like the work is to be done by the cheap way because all the rusted parts not to be visible (between pressurehull and surface plating) were not treated anyway with anti corrosion...  A really sad sight! Anyway the whole hull is water blasted to remove the old paint and the wooden deck is gone by now.  I don

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 01 Oct , 2012, 11:08 »
Hi Anakin,

Thanks for updating us on the Vesikko. Since it will remain outside, exposed to the elements all year round, it is so important to have quality maintenance and restoration at regular intervals. It's a bit concerning to hear that not all parts were treated with anti-corrosion. Perhaps this is a cost issue. Either way it would be good to see the result once the restoration is complete.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline Anakin

• Sir Submarine
  • Lt Cdr
« Reply #44 on: 01 Dec , 2012, 12:56 »
Finally i have heard some news and facts about Vesikko... Last time i saw her she was coated with yellow sheets and some black paint (anticorrosion). Now the war museum people are starting to preserve inner parts of the boat. The voice pipes should be operational next summer, beds and seats should be good as new too. Also the rudders agle position device/gauge will be working and in use for visitors... Sounds great to me.  :)  The best thing i