Author Topic: Type IXC accessories  (Read 61016 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Re: Type IXC accessories
« Reply #15 on: 07 Feb , 2014, 07:04 »
I have only used wooden decks so far, never PE.  Wooden decks have been nice, but present their own issues like the thickness and having the wood stain getting all the way down in the holes/slots.  The wooden decks for the towers were grossly overthick, and I had to do a lot of thinning to give a realistic effect.

For the PE deck, I imagine I will have to try new techniques for underbracing supports, etc. due to the thinness.   I also hope that I can use metal darkening solution to colour the PE decks black, as I do not really relish the idea of having to paint them.

Congrats on your great job with the Bf109 !!!    :D
« Last Edit: 07 Feb , 2014, 07:06 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 07 Feb , 2014, 15:59 »
Wow, this is just so confusing and hard to sort out. I'm def interested in a PE deck and any valuable upgrades, but the radar/capstan/etc. one on the previous page is 35 Euros. It would be nice if someone could put together a complete guide for PE to this boat. Off to Chicago in May and plan on doing the tour this time.

Offline Rokket

• Administrator
  • Submarine Enthusiast
    • AMP - Accurate Model Parts
« Reply #17 on: 09 Feb , 2014, 04:23 »
GO to Chicago. It's an AWESOME exhibit.
AMP - Accurate Model Parts - http://amp.rokket.biz

LASTPACIFIC

« Reply #18 on: 09 Feb , 2014, 12:52 »
Hello Gentlemen, I have been reading your post on the type 1XC accessories,and they are a must have. will there be a U.S. supplyer for the deck PE set? I have been unable to contact Oto  on his web site and my email keeps kicking back [ unable to locate web page] I grue up in Chicago Il. and used to go and see U505 as a boy when it was out side the musem building, my work has kept me out of town for the last three years so I've not been able to do much modeling, and I just happend to stumble on the revell 1/72  1xc kit and ordered it the same day my last u-boat was u-249 revell V11C/41 please advice. regards Glenn

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #19 on: 03 Mar , 2014, 19:30 »
I have all the Eduard sets, and frankly I seriously doubt that I will use 53108 drainage hole set.    I really do not see the point of this set, as the molded holes are by-and-large correct in shape, number, and size (as far as I know).   The only thing that the PE does is make the edges super crisp & clean.   

When I made U-673 I used the U-Brass & ModelBrass PE sets for their CORRECTED drainage holes.    That is not really the case here.

Just my own opinion.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 05 Mar , 2014, 09:56 »
Glenn, you are my guru on all things U-Boats, so I will pocket the $40 and live a few days longer not having to cut the plastic to replace the drainage holes. Thanks!!

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #21 on: 05 Mar , 2014, 10:38 »
The 105mm was from an earlier configuration, right, and not the one captured? I hesitate to get into other variants, as the kit already has sufficient challenges, LOL.

Correct... the 105mm deckgun was on the boat originally, then it was removed when the Turm IV tower was put on.   That gun was also not on the boat when it was captured.

For the time period I am building my boat as -- DURING the Turm IV refit -- at some point the 105mm deckgun may have still been on the foredeck while the new tower was being installed.   That is how I will model the boat... and from what I've read there is no evidence to the contrary as to exactly WHEN the 105 was removed.   LOL.    Also, the new Turm IV tower originally had a 20mm Flakvierling (quad) on the rear platform... then later on that was swapped with the 37mm LM42U cannon that was on the boat at its capture.

Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 08:32 »
(You will need to source the arm sets (L + R) from a Revell kit)
??? Sorry, which Revell kit?

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #23 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 08:44 »
(You will need to source the arm sets (L + R) from a Revell kit)
??? Sorry, which Revell kit?

1/72 Type VIIC "Wolfpack" U-boat (80-5015) -- arms from the 88mm deck gun.   Or you can make your own.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 09:13 »
Thanks.

The gun kit is so delightful, I'm tempted to add it to the 505 build, but I'd want to know what other changes would be required? I don't want to rebuild the Turm. Bringing the Revell kit up to the standards of Oto's PE set will be work enough, LOL.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #25 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 09:20 »
Using the 105mm deckgun would definitely have an impact on the timeframe of U-505.   If anyone in the future offers this boat with original (Turm I) and/or Turm II towers, that 105mm deckgun would definitely be there.   According to Dougie's well-researched timeline, the 105mm deckgun was on the boat until the Turm IV refit... then it was removed.    It fits in perfectly with my planned build.

BUT you can also use it on other U-boats that had the 105mm deckgun!    A little bit of research would be required, though.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline bill_c

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 09:29 »
I have not seen a review of the kit or any information about its decals, so I don't know what other boats might be in the offing. I'm a wimp when it comes to my own decals, so I'd also want to know if there are any AM decal guys making them for other boats?

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #27 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 09:37 »
I am having some decals made for my U-505 build, as during the time period that my boat was in Turm IV refit, it was under the command of Kptlt. Peter Zschech.   The tower markings were the large axe on the sides, and the Olympic rings on the front.    I wasn't sure of the exact size of each decals, so I made a few variants of larger & smaller sizes.   

The kit decals represent the boat on its capture, while under the command of Oblt. Harald Lange... they were very different markings than previous commanders.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 10:52 »
Hi Bill and Glenn,

Later in the year AMP will be releasing decals for -

U 505 axe emblem – For U 505 under Zschech.

U 505 early shell – For the scallop shell emblem used on U 505 during patrols 12 and 13. This will have no shield background. Olympic rings – For U 505 under Zschech and the following boats – U 37, U 534, U 546, U 869 and U 1230 (Type IXs) U 3, U 20, U 23, U 59, U 203, U 227, U 314, U 344, U 387, U 394, U 407, U 426, U 440, U 467, U 505, U 555, U 643, U 710, U 760 (other types)

10th U-Flottille

It gets a bit difficult to find emblems which were on IXs when the boats had exactly the same features as the Revell kit.

By the way, both U 172 and U 841 both had the Turm IV, Vierling and 105mm together

I'm proof reading the article about U 505 and I'm trying to get it finished.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #29 on: 07 Mar , 2014, 11:03 »
 ;D   and THAT is why I just LOVE this place
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca