Author Topic: Midget subs  (Read 2474 times)

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Midget subs
« on: 14 Oct , 2014, 12:21 »
I've been a modelling fool in the past few weeks... having finished off 2 kits and will finish off a 3rd this week!   They are all 1/35 scale.  (Plus a Bofors A-A gun, too.)

I haven't done much more than take pictures during the builds, and put them on Facebook.
But I did put up links on my page HERE:  http://www.travel-net.com/~gcauley/Uboats/

• Bronco 1/35 : 'Seehund' XXVIIB midget sub (2-man)
  • Italeri 1/35 : 'Biber' midget sub (1-man)
  • Iron Horse 1/35 : 'Neger' man-driven torpedo (1-man)
« Last Edit: 14 Oct , 2014, 14:00 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Capt Kremin

• Commander
Re: Midget subs
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct , 2014, 03:44 »
Hi Glen,

Nice work, particularly opening up the cockpit of the Neger, it would have been a shame to have a model of that scale and not have some cockpit detail.

Regards
Jon
"Here's Peter Jason Quill, He's also called Starlord",
"Who calls him that?",
"Himself Mostly".

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct , 2014, 04:25 »
Great work Glenn!! Well done! Now am looking forward to see your U 505 project completed. Keep up the excellent work!!

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov , 2014, 08:31 »
Great craftmanship! I hope you don't mind/take offence on some comments though, as especially the torpedoes for the Bronco Seehund-model has several flaws (I have seen this on other posts of that model, so it's obviously a probelm with the manufacturer).

The Seehund used G7e(TIIIc) and G7e(TIIIe) torpedoes, and there shouldn't be any exterior differencies from the other G7e variants.
The most obvious fault is the propellers (it had 2x2-blade propellers, and I also think they appear too large on the model).
The battery- and gyroscopehatches only have one centre-bolt for fastening, and no rivets. A lot of other details of the hull is wrong as well, but that should be obvious by looking at G7e-photos available online, so I'm not gonna elaborate.
Pistol: Compare to my avatar.
The torpedoes are wrongly mounted to the sub: The guiding knobs on top should be in the rail alongside the submarine's hull.

Colours: The torpedoes used in the german submarines were unpainted steel, covered witha protecting layer of dark grease (probably a dark/transparent brownish colour - I have yet to find any valid documentation that give exact details on this matter). Torpedoes used for the K-Verband midget subs were most likely painted for camouflage reasons (they were moved on road and deployed a distance from the sea before launches). Most likely a grey colour.
The warheads were dark or light grey (for the Ka/Kb heads on the relevant torpedoes, most likely light grey). Exerciseheads were painted red and white (horisontal stripes/fields).

For more details regarding colour etc, check this thread: http://models.rokket.biz/index.php?topic=407.0

For modelbuilders, it's also worth mentioning that the ingolin-powered G7ut(TXIII) K-Butt torpedo was ready for operational use with the Seehund in april 1945, but was never fielded.
Similar, a planned version of the G7a(TI), the G7a(TXIV), never saw operational use with the Seehund (probably no exterior differences between those two torpedoes, as the modifications consisted of increased buoyancy).

The Seehund operated in more "open waters" than the other midget subs, so I think it's correct to omitt netcutters from the torpedoes on this model. However, for the Biber and Neger/Marders I think most torpedoes would have been equipped with netcutters on the head and aftsection (for penetreting torpedonets). Such torpedoes would of course also have the Pi1c or Pi2c pistols (without whiskers).
For Neger and Marder models/torpedoes: There is no reason to paint the batterysection in other colour than the aftsection - it's the same material.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov , 2014, 09:01 »
Thank you for taking the time to critique my builds.

However... please consider the following:
  • I do not know you at all
  • Our very first interaction is your going into a long & detailed critique where you point out the errors of my models in the building and/or finishing
    (albeit with your precursor "it's a manufacturer fault")
So... I hope YOU don't mind me not being too thrilled with your approach on "correcting" or "educating" us/me.

Perhaps you may want to consider reviewing your "critiques" before posting them... and try to put yourself in the position of your recipient and/or audience.
And then consider your approach could use some polishing... and you may be better received.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov , 2014, 09:45 by GlennCauley »
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline Natter

• Lt Cdr
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov , 2014, 13:24 »
I'm rather surprised by your reply, but let me just point out my motive for giving feedback:
 * In my experience, modelbuilders in general are very keen on getting the details correct, and when you posting their work, also want to know if something is not 100%
 * I've come across the same Bronco model on other modelforums, by different builders: They all have the similar issues. Adding to this, I have never seen a german WW2 torpedeo being correctly presented by any model manufacturer (and for that sake: Most museums can't get it right as well)

I'm not sure what you mean by "polishing", but I suspect it might be connected in the way I express myself? It's worth mentioning that I'm not english: Although I think I have a pretty good grasp of spelling and basic grammar, I'm probably lacking the proper skills of getting the right "tone" (it has happened before). Anyway: I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes, and I can assure you that my intentions were only to offer some advice within a restricted "area of expertise", considering the Bronco Seehund model and some general aspects of german WW2 torpedoes.

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov , 2014, 13:45 »
Please see your PM.
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline falo

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec , 2014, 03:10 »
Hi Glenn,

if you are planning a small diorama or a vignette with your 1/35 models please following this link to "U-models":

http://www.u-models.com/catalogue_scale_accessories.htm

They offer for instance a antisubmarine net suitable buoys, trailers for Marder and much more.

Regards
Falo

Offline OldNoob

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec , 2014, 06:30 »
That  Seahund is absolutely beautiful

Offline SG

• Admiral
    • https://3xblackcats.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec , 2014, 06:16 »
Falo that's a great link! thanks for sharing, lovely stuff indeed!