Author Topic: U552 UZO  (Read 3250 times)

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
U552 UZO
« on: 26 Feb , 2018, 03:14 »
Hi everybody,
surfing on internet I found several UZO realizations from many modelers, many photoetrchings parts and many photos of real UZOs in many U-Boats; all this material make my ideas a little bit confused...
The best photo I found of U552 UZO is that one I posted, with Erich Topp standing inside conning tower after a patrol.
I read the Dougie's Wolf Pack articles, and the first question is: was the UZO position offset or it was in axis with conning tower centerline ( and so my RCSUBS photoetchings are wrong ) ?
And more: I saw many models with four vertical handrails on UZO column, bau I think it was only one: what is true ?
And last: is there a photo of a typical Type VIIC UZO ( I am interested on U552 ), that I can use for scratchbuild my one ?
Thanks in advance for replies.
Filippo

Offline Tim

• Midshipman Cadet
Re: U552 UZO
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb , 2018, 04:10 »
Hi Filippo,

not sure if you already seen it but this YouTube-Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBxEpfmh1kc&t=501s) features a Wochenschau documentation of U 552 during a patrol at the US east coast. It provides plenty of shots of the conning tower like the one attached. It seems like the UZO is covered (Not sure, it could also be the top of a small sailor's head). Just from quickly looking at the picture the UZO appears to be slightly offset to the left but drawing some lines and comparing different shots would be needed to confirm.

Best regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: 26 Feb , 2018, 04:29 by Tim »

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb , 2018, 05:17 »
Grazie Tim,
non è l'U552, ma sicuramente il film è utile per la vista all'interno della torre di comando.
La testa della UZO è coperta da un cappuccio, ma sembra che fosse in asse, e non sfalsato ...
Non è visibile l'intera colonna UZO; se qualcun altro ha più documentazione, grazie in anticipo ...

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb , 2018, 05:21 »
Grazie Tim,[/size]non è l'U552, ma sicuramente il film è utile per la vista all'interno della torre di comando.La testa della UZO è coperta da un cappuccio, ma sembra che fosse in asse, e non sfalsato ...Non è visibile l'intera colonna UZO; se qualcun altro ha più documentazione, grazie in anticipo ...

Thanks Tim,
surely the video's boat is not U552, but it useful for inside view of conning tower...
The UZO head is covered by a cap, but it seems it was in axis, not offset...
Unfortunately it isn't visible the entire UZO pedestal; if someone has more documentation, thanks in advance.
Filippo
[/color]

Offline Tim

• Midshipman Cadet
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb , 2018, 05:26 »
Hi Filippo,

are you sure it's not U 552? It's definitely Erich Topp, the commander, in the video and U 552 did a patrol in this area under his command. It's embedded in footage of two other boats (beginning and end). I found another screen shot from the video where you can see the UZO more clearly.

Best regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: 26 Feb , 2018, 06:30 by Tim »

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb , 2018, 15:42 »
Hello folks,

There are various U-boats in the video but the VIIC around the 5-minute mark has got to be U 552. It is definitely Erich Topp at 5:03.

On the subject of the UZO position, try stopping the video at 5:01. I am pretty sure the UZO is central in this shot of U 552. You see the vertical line on the wooden tower floor leading from the UZO to the tower hatch? This is the join between the two removable wooden areas. It would make sense for the join to be directly in the middle of the tower floor. The join is directly behind the centre of the UZO, thus providing us with a convenient measuring point. I've measured it a few times and the join (and the UZO) look to be directly midway between the tower bulwark walls.

For the other UZO question I think it has normally one vertical bar.

Filippo, you will also need to make sure your model has no squares on the tower ahead of the UZO. Instead the tower floor had two rectangular hatches which can be seen very well at 5:01. Note that the squares through which the water drained through extended farther forward on the starboard side than the port side (this can also be seen in the video).

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb , 2018, 05:33 »
Hi Dougie,
actually you ( and Tim ) were right: among various U-Boats in video, there is also U552, if it'was true that Erich Topp served as commander only on U552....
UZO seems to be central, not offset to port, as in almost all photoetching sets producer ( as my one: see posted photo ); I'll surely have to modify the position of UZO: I'll decide afterwards how to do the corrections on photoetched deck ( suggestions welcome ).
I'll have another problem: if you see the photoetched deck I bought, also the fixing of wintergarden stanchions on conning tower is wrong on Trumpeter model: it was on side boards of towwer, and not on deck as in the model... ( suggestions welcome ).
Cheers

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb , 2018, 12:25 »
I tried to match the same view as 5:01 with my U-1308. 5:01 does suggect that the UZO could be in the centreline. On a side note I estimate the off set is only 180 mm.

This image has been resized. Click to view original image.

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb , 2018, 13:35 »
Thanks Snowman....

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb , 2018, 14:27 »
Hello folks,

Another point I forgot to mention. Since the UZO was used to fire torpedoes during surface attacks it makes sense for the column to be directly on the centreline of the boat. I can't imagine why they would place it in an offset position, especially when there is space to place it centrally.

Yes, the wintergarten railings did meet with the edge of the tower floor. Note that there was a lip (a raised edge) all around the edge of the floor. This lip was inside of the tower railings.

When you come to the railings, you should note that they were not all the same diameter. One vertical stanchion on the side was thicker than the rest. Also, the top horizontal bar was thicker too.

Cheers,

Dougie

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: 01 Mar , 2018, 06:22 »
Hi Dougie,
if you alreay know which stanchion is thicker, can you tell me, please ?

Offline bianco64squalo

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar , 2018, 06:59 »
Ok, after analizing photos, I saugh the thicker stanchion...
Thanks Dougie...

Offline GlennCauley

• Admiral
    • Models by Glenn Cauley
Tower railings
« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar , 2018, 07:53 »
Here is a pic of an IXC showing how the vertical stanchions met the tower deck.
I modified all the railings on my U-190 build accordingly.

Was this also the same for the VII boats?
Glenn Cauley
President, IPMS Ottawa
gc-scalemodels.ca

Offline NZSnowman

• Admiral4
  • U-1308
    • U-1308 - Wikipedia
« Reply #13 on: 01 Mar , 2018, 11:33 »
Yes, the wintergarten railings did meet with the edge of the tower floor. Note that there was a lip (a raised edge) all around the edge of the floor. This lip was inside of the tower railings.

When you come to the railings, you should note that they were not all the same diameter. One vertical stanchion on the side was thicker than the rest. Also, the top horizontal bar was thicker too.

These images has been resized. Click to view original image.

Offline dougie47

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 01 Mar , 2018, 12:56 »
Hi folks,

Thanks for posting this, Simon. And good job with your U 190, Glenn. One last point. U 552 had black railings. Also the inside of the tower and the attack persicope housing were also black on U 552.

Cheers,

Dougie